Observing Report from the Sierra Nevadas - Part 1

Kevin Daly

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
Date: July 10, 1999
Location: Pacific Crest Trail (Sierra Nevada, CA)
Equipment: Homebuilt 13.1" f/4.4 w/Coulter Optics (Ray Cash's), Meade 32mm
Plossl, Meade 18mm SWA, Televue 7mm Nagler, Lumicon UHC Filter
Seeing Comments: LM - 6.5+
Thanks to Ray Cash (both for the information and allowing me to use his 13.1"
scope), I was able to enjoy my first night in the Sierra Nevadas for SFSU's
Observational Astronomy Course. I met Steve Gottlieb, Jim Shields, Mark
Wagner, and Rashad for the first time. There were 3 17.5" scopes, an 18"
Obsession, Rashad's homebuilt 12" (outstanding scope), and a 10" dob (Mark's
daughter's scope) all set up.

This being my first night using a scope this large I used this evening as a
learning night. Getting used to the movements, the Quikfinder etc.

Got an early start on M57 (it wasn't fully dark yet). At 206X (7mm Nagler)
w/the UHC Filter I was treated to a spectacular view. Oblong shape was plainly
evident. As I had such a great view I tried (unsuccessfully) to spot the
central star for quite some time.

M4/NGC6144* in Scorpius - My first view of a pair of globulars in the same FOV.
Both globs barely fit in the 1.13° TFOV provided by the 32mm Plossl. I needed
to move M4 out of the FOV before I recognized NGC 6144 which was quite faint.
They were at the edges of the FOV in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions.

NGC's 3972*, 3977* and 3982* in UMa - What a treat, 3 galaxies in the same FOV
@ 45X (32mm). All were quite dim but easily visible. Slight elongation of
3972 was evident while 3977 and 3998 presented themselves as diffuse ovals.

M51 in CVn - WOW! Spiral structure was obvious @ 206X. Did a sketch of this
showpiece. I couldn't get over how easy it was to make out the spiral arms.
With my 8" in the past it took averted vision and patience to get a hint of the
structure. Simply stunning view.
M55* in Sagittarius - one more Messier off the list (3 to go!). Very pretty
glob. At 206X it filled the FOV and resolved quite nicely, into an eyepiece
view full of stars.

NGC6888* in Cygnus - Ray Cash pointed this one out to me. Very striking
Emission Nebula. Crescent shaped neb superimposed over several stars at 80X
with UHC filter. Definitely one to return to.

Veil Nebula - Stunning view @ 80X w/UHC filter. The section running through 51
Cygni was very pronounced. Filamentary structure was gorgeous. Mark treated
me to a tremendous view through his 18". This is becoming one of my favorites
to observe as it seems I always manage to spot some new detail every time I
view it.

M20 in Sgr - Great view @ 80X with UHC. Nebulosity filled the FOV (0.83°)
superimposed over OC.

North American Nebula* - Finally spotted this target using 10 X 50 binos.
Switched to scope @ 80X with UHC. The "Gulf of Mexico" was quite evident and
easy to pick out.

M27 in Vulpecula - Extremely bright. At 206X with UHC it virtually filled the
FOV. The dumbbell shape of the nebula seemed to be embedded within the
surrounding nebulosity. A very striking effect unlike any view I've had.

B86* - Very striking dark nebula to the east (southeast?) of the Open Cluster
NGC6520*. It's shape reminded me of the Stapuff Marshmallow Man. Very obvious
Failed to find the Coma Galaxy Cluster although I'm sure I was in the right
spot for it. However, I did stumble across NGC 6181 while searching. This
galaxy presented an elongated glow, but was fairly obvious in the eyepiece.

Ray Cash showed me my first Hickson Galaxy Clusters (along with tons of other
neat stuff). It was a real thrill finally being able to see some of these with
my own eyes. Ray also shared a view of Pluto with me (my first!). Steve
Gottlieb also shared many views with me including NGC6540 which was recently
reclassified as a globular cluster. It appeared as a faint glow in Steve's
17.5".

I was also treated to my first views of 2 Iridium Flares as well as a brilliant
Bolide. The Bolide lit up the sky at at least a -5 Magnitude (significantly
brighter than Venus). It left a trail 40 - 50 degrees in length and the trail
remained visible for approximately 45 seconds.
Obviously, it was a great way to kick off the week.

Date: July 11, 1999
Seeing Comments: LM - 6.5+ (Degraded to 5 or so by the end of the night)

Started off the night giving several folks a tour of Summer's gems. M57,
Alberio, M13, M51, M4.

Searched in vain for NGC6822 (Barnard's Galaxy). This is located in
Sagittarius in a very star poor region of the sky.

NGC6804* - PN in Aquila - This was an easy target to find due to it's proximity
to Altair. Nebula was quite small though easily visible at 80X (18mm) w/UHC.
It took on a whole new appearance at 206X (7mm). Nebula appeared irregularly
shaped with a prominent star visible on the NE edge. Removing the UHC brought
out what appeared as a very faint central star. The central star was visible
intermittently using direct vision while averted vision showed it at all times.
Pushing the power up to 305X (4.8) showed 3 stars which appeared to be
embedded in the Nebulosity. In addition to the NE Edge Star and the central
star a star on the western edge came into view at this power. All 3 stars were
easily visible using direct vision. A fascinating planetary. (Observations
were shared/confirmed by Steve Gottlieb).

NGC6822*/6828* in Sgr - Steve Gottlieb was nice enough to show me this pair of
globulars in the same FOV through his 17.5". These are located in a very star
rich area and provided a fascinating view. Orientation is pretty much N-S.
Both globs are fairly bright although would be tough to find due to the very
rich starfields in which they're located.
Jet lag really caught up with me and I decided to call it an early night.
* = First time.

Date: July 12, 1999
Seeing Comments: LM - 5 - 5.5

M103 - Very large, sparse OC in Cassiopea. Extended beyond the FOV at 80X
(18mm).

M52 - Much better example of an OC. Strong concentration of stars toward
center. Fairly compact rich cluster.

NGC457 (ET Cluster) - Always a treat to show new folks. Stick-figure structure
fit quite nicely at 47X (32mm Plossl).
M82 - Pushed power up to 412X (7mm w/barlow) and was treated to wonderful
detail. Very evident dark lane appeared to split the galaxy in two. Very
evident knots on the Eastern edge were noted.

NGC6818* - Very bright, very small PN in Sgr. Used 17.5" scope and 7mm.
Unable to detect a dark center, fairly even brightness across entire neb.

M30* - Was able to partially resolve cluster @ 206X (7mm). There were 2
strings of stars leading in from the east which gave the appearance of the glob
standing on stilts.

NGC6781* - Aquila - Diffuse irregularly shaped PN. Northern edge appeared
distinctly brighter than the rest of the nebulosity, especially at 206X.
Unable to detect central star.

NGC7006* - Del - A real treat to see one of the most distant globular
(approximately 150Kly). Quite small, even at 206X, unable to resolve into any
more than a faint fuzz. Similar in appearance to a Planetary Neb.

NGC6934* - Del - Small, fairly bright glob. At 206X a slight mottling was
intermittently visible. Using averted vision seemed to partially resolve
cluster.
* = First time.

Kevin Daly
Mattatuck Astronomical Society
http://members.aol.com/kdaly10475/index.html

mpi...@webmail.bellsouth.net

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
Kevin -

Great Job! Sounds like you had a fun time with a great bunch of guys.
What's the expression? - It doesn't get any better than that!

One question -

How's it feel going back to the 8" now? Inspired or let down?

Mark Pippin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Kevin Daly

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
>How's it feel going back to the 8" now? Inspired or let down?

Definately inspired. Now I have an idea of what to look for and I'm curious as
to what will or won't be possibly with the 8".
Of course, there's a 14" in the works. After using the 13.1" and 17.5" scopes,
I preferred the ease of using the 13.1" (due to height). I had a difficult
time sighting in on objects while on a ladder.

Blandp1

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
In article <19990717231012...@ng-fq1.aol.com>,
kdaly...@aol.comnospam (Kevin Daly) writes:

>Of course, there's a 14" in the works. After using the 13.1" and 17.5"
>scopes,
>I preferred the ease of using the 13.1" (due to height). I had a difficult
>time sighting in on objects while on a ladder.

I feel the same way. Telescopes that require a ladder or step in anyway are
not to my liking. I'm 6' 2" so luckily for me that's not as limiting as it
might be. Right now my top choice is the Starmaster 14.5" dob, followed by the
Obession 15".

One part of me wants to forgo the expense and try to score a used Coulter
13.1". Unfortunately the one Coulter of that size I looked through was
uninspiring.

-Philip J. Blanda III

-Philip J. Blanda III

PGP Public key available

Kevin Daly

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
>I'm 6' 2" so luckily for me that's not as limiting as it
>might be. Right now my top choice is the Starmaster 14.5" dob, followed by
>the
>Obession 15".

Hi Philip,
I'm curious as to what height at zenith the above mentioned scopes would be.
I'm 6'1 myself so they may be an otpion as well.
I'm planning on building the scope myself, following Ray Cash's wonderful
travel scope design so overall size will be a factor as well (i.e. will I be
able to check it on to an airplane).
FWIW, the 13.1" I was using was a Coulter Mirror (from the old company I
believe) and I found the optics to be superb.

Rashad Al-Mansour

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
Great report Kevin,

Glad to see you made it back safe and sound. I look forward to observing
with you again.

Rashad

Kevin Daly <kdaly...@aol.comnospam> wrote in message

| Date: July 10, 1999
| Location: Pacific Crest Trail (Sierra Nevada, CA)
| Equipment: Homebuilt 13.1" f/4.4 w/Coulter Optics (Ray Cash's), Meade
32mm
| Plossl, Meade 18mm SWA, Televue 7mm Nagler, Lumicon UHC Filter
| Seeing Comments: LM - 6.5+
| Thanks to Ray Cash (both for the information and allowing me to use his
13.1"
| scope), I was able to enjoy my first night in the Sierra Nevadas for
SFSU's
| Observational Astronomy Course. I met Steve Gottlieb, Jim Shields, Mark
| Wagner, and Rashad for the first time. There were 3 17.5" scopes, an 18"
| Obsession, Rashad's homebuilt 12" (outstanding scope), and a 10" dob
(Mark's
| daughter's scope) all set up.

SNIP

Blandp1

Jul 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/18/99
In article <19990718112710...@ng-cp1.aol.com>,
kdaly...@aol.comnospam (Kevin Daly) writes:

>I'm curious as to what height at zenith the above mentioned scopes would be.
>I'm 6'1 myself so they may be an otpion as well.

The Starmaster site lists the 14.5" f/4.5 eyepiece height at 66". I don't know
the number for the 15" Obsession.

>FWIW, the 13.1" I was using was a Coulter Mirror (from the old company I
>believe) and I found the optics to be superb.

I have heard many reports like yours, so there seems to be many good ones out
there.