SFSU's Observational Astro Course (Long)

Kevin Daly

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
As I've received a few e-mails asking for details and my impressions of the
above course and one person (thanks Dave) suggested I post it here so that
others could see it, so I figured I'd give it a try. I just wish I shared the
gifted wirting ability of some of the other contributors to this board as to
properly convey what a wonderful experience this was.
Anyhow, here goes:
San Francisco State University offers an Astronomy Lab Course (Astro 216) which
runs for 5 days and 5 nights at their field campus in a wonderful area in the
Sierra Nevadas. The title of the course is Observational Astronomy. This year
I was fortunate enough to be able to attend it which ran from July 11 - 16.
The course is taught by Professor Jim Peters, with Ray Cash, Steve Gottlieb,
Jim Shields and Ira Stein (boy I hope I got his name right) serving as
Teacher's Assistants. These folks present a fountain of knowledge which I am
extremely grateful to have been able to drink from.
During the day classes lasted approximately 4 hours and covered topics such as
Constellation Identification, Variable Stars, Use of Setting Circles, Ray
Tracing, Spectroscopy, and Telescopes (types etc.).

Mornings are left open so that students can explore the many beautiful
surrounding areas. I managed to go on a tour of a gold mine, see several of
the prettiest mountain lakes I've ever seen as well as hike up for a view of
Frazier Falls (a spectacular vista).

In the evening we travelled to the school's observing site at Packer Saddle
(7200ft) under pristine skies. Ray, Steve, and Jim S. set up their 17.5"
dobsonian telescopes, Ira his 8" SCT, and Jim P. sets up a variety of scopes
from an astro-scan (4.25" RFT) to a 14" Dob. Students are encouraged (but not
required) to bring their own scopes. For this particular session, I was using
Ray Cash's 13.1" Dob. We tracked the variable star Delta Cephei to learn about
variable star observing. Another of the course's requirements was to observe,
sketch and make notes about 10 astronomical objects of which at least 5 should
have been found by the student. The course concludes on Thursday evening with
a star party for the local folks, campers, etc. Students are assigned
telescopes to treat the visitors to the astronomical sights which they have
spent the prior 4 nights learning to find, observe, and note.

At the beginning of the course, students are allowed to choose whether they
would like to take the course for credit or simply audit the course. I chose
the latter as many of my observing sessions lasted well into the morning hours
and (being from CT) I wanted the opportunity to play tourist and sight see.

I can't recommend this course highly enough for anyone from the rank beginner
to the seasoned veteran. The opportunity to observe with people of this
caliber is both a wonderful and exhilerating learning experience.

I'll definately be back next year!

Information on SFSU's course offerings can be found at
http://thecity.sfsu.edu/snfc/index.htm

Regards,

Kevin Daly
Mattatuck Astronomical Society
http://members.aol.com/kdaly10475/index.html

Beverly A Whiting

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Thanks for the nice, informative post Kevin; I might consider it for next year.
Clear Skies, Tom Whiting

Please visit the Erie County Mobile Observers Group web site:

http://www.ncinter.net/~alonmac/ecmog

Paul Rest

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Arrrgggghhhh! Just when I thought I had gotten over the fact that I
couldn't go to SFSU's astronomy course this summer, you had to go and do
something like this! Damn you all to hell!!!

(Deep breath) Ok, I'm better now, really :-). I ended up taking some a
summer course here at our local Junior College (Santa Rosa Junior
College, N. CA, for those of you who know that area) and the astronomy
thing was right next to the final. Ouch. So I had to drop it this year.
But next year I will almost certainly be going.

BTW, nice post. Clear skies.

-Paul