The African Erocide of Neanderthals

Jim Bowery

Sep 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/10/95
A friend of mine who has very extraordinary statistics of muscle
mass to fat and skeletal structure (ie, very robust) and who is also
highly intelligent, suspects a high degree of neanderthal genes in his
lineage from Norway. Looking at him, I'd have to say it is plausible
right down to the prominent brow. His interest in neanderthals has merged
with my interest in the causes of human gene-flow to yield an
interesting hypothesis:

Neanderthals were BRED to near extinction via a phenomenon which we call
"erocide" -- the destruction of a people incidental to genetic
encroachment typically involving de facto polygyny and differential male
fecundity between the gene-pools.

In the case of the neanderthals, it is plausible that their males, when
coupled with gracile females, would produce fewer live births due to the
narrow birth canal of the gracile females. The more gracile humans
emerged from Africa in one of the earliest erocidal gene-flows from that
area, through the Levant, north and west through europe.

Another aspect of erocide is that the encroaching gene-pool, for obvious
reasons, avoids violent confrontation and seeks friendly integration.
--
The promotion of politics exterminates apolitical genes in the population.
The promotion of frontiers gives apolitical genes a route to survival.

Karl King

Sep 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/14/95
Another model, suggested to me by the African Eve hypothesis *and* the
Southern Corn Blight that raged thru the American corn crop back in the
1970s. The blight turned out to be especially dangerous to corn
descended from male sterile lines ... which was included most F1 hybrid
corn at the time, of whatever "race". The male sterile trait turned out
to involve a mitochondrial gene.

If some mitochondria-related disease affected humans, this could give a
false picture of the evolution of the race.

Before the corn blight spread north, the majority of the corn crop
shared the male sterile mitochondria, suggesting (to the unsuspecting
observer) that the various races of corn (flint, dent, sweet, pop, etc.)
were derived from the same male-sterile Eve.