FIRST CRITIQUES OF THE NEW FIRST AMERICANS GENETIC STUDY

michael...@mac.com

Nov 30, 2007, 9:10:02 PM11/30/07
Listeros,

The first critiques of this week's research report that a single
population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait into
Alaska and subsequently fanned out to populate North and South America
and showed some data hinting that the coastal route may have been the
way this group traveled through the Americas have now been stated.

This study is the largest genetic study ever done on First Americans
drawing on DNA from 29 groups across Canada, Mexico, Central and South
America and groups in Siberia.

Tom Dillehay congratulated the researchers for carrying out the
largest genetic study ever done on the First Americans but points out
that the study excludes US Native Americans and Eastern Brazilians.
The authors of the report promise to address genetic findings there.

Kari Britt Schroeder at the University of California at Davis points
out that the study can't rule out small genetic contributions from
other groups.

Science News Online has the update here;

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20071e201/fob2.asp

It is now the task of those who posit other groups from elsewhere
being among the First Americans to show data to try and prove their
case. This is why the seemingly incomplete data on Kennewick Man needs
to be completed or explained more clearly.

Mike Ruggeri

Mike Ruggeri's The Ancient Americas Breaking News
http://web.mac.com/michaelruggeri

Mike Ruggeri's Pre-Clovis and Clovis World
http://tinyurl.com/2m8725

Breaking Pre-Clovis and Clovis News
http://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/MikeRuggerisPre/index.html

Mike Ruggeri's Ancient America Museum Exhibitions, Conferences and
Lectures
http://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/AncientAmerica/index.htm

G Horvat

Nov 30, 2007, 10:24:14 PM11/30/07
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:10:02 -0800 (PST), michael...@mac.com
wrote:

>Listeros,
>
>The first critiques of this week's research report that a single
>population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait into
>Alaska and subsequently fanned out to populate North and South America
>and showed some data hinting that the coastal route may have been the
>way this group traveled through the Americas have now been stated.

[...]

>Science News Online has the update here;
>
>http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20071e201/fob2.asp

There is at least one significant error in the news report:

"The team examined 678 genetic markers in the human genome and found
that one of the markers ties every Native American group to the Tundra
Nentsi. The marker, moreover, is found nowhere else in the world."

What was written in the PLOS article was:

"This allele has now been observed in every Native American population
in which the locus has been investigated [41,42], and it has only been
seen elsewhere in two populations at the far eastern edge of Siberia
[42]."

In reference #42 (Schroeder KB, Schurr TG, Long JC, Rosenberg NA,
Crawford MH, et al. (2007) A private allele ubiquitous in the
Americas. Biol Lett 3: 218-223), the two populations were Chukchi and
Koryak. Siberian Eskimos undoubtably have the allele as well but were
not tested in the study.

The full text of this article can be found here:

http://www2.ku.edu/~lba/Publications/PDF%20files/2007/Private_allele.pdf

It is true that three lines of genetic evidence agree, however, the Y
chromosome and mtDNA have been interpreted differently.

For Y chromosome, see:

http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Karafet_et_al.1997.pdf

and the following recent article for mtDNA:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0000829

Gisele

Jack Linthicum

Dec 1, 2007, 6:52:41 AM12/1/07
On Nov 30, 9:10 pm, michaelrugg...@mac.com wrote:
> Listeros,
>
> The first critiques of this week's research report that a single
> population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait into
> Alaska and subsequently fanned out to populate North and South America
> and showed some data hinting that the coastal route may have been the
> way this group traveled through the Americas have now been stated.
>
> This study is the largest genetic study ever done on First Americans
> drawing on DNA from 29 groups across Canada, Mexico, Central and South
> America and groups in Siberia.
>
> Tom Dillehay congratulated the researchers for carrying out the
> largest genetic study ever done on the First Americans but points out
> that the study excludes US Native Americans and Eastern Brazilians.
> The authors of the report promise to address genetic findings there.
>
> Kari Britt Schroeder at the University of California at Davis points
> out that the study can't rule out small genetic contributions from
> other groups.
>
> Science News Online has the update here;
>
> http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20071e201/fob2.asp
>
> It is now the task of those who posit other groups from elsewhere
> being among the First Americans to show data to try and prove their
> case. This is why the seemingly incomplete data on Kennewick Man needs
> to be completed or explained more clearly.
>
> Mike Ruggeri
>
> Mike Ruggeri's The Ancient Americas Breaking Newshttp://web.mac.com/michaelruggeri
>
> Mike Ruggeri's Pre-Clovis and Clovis Worldhttp://tinyurl.com/2m8725
>
> Breaking Pre-Clovis and Clovis Newshttp://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/MikeRuggerisPre/index.html

> Mike Ruggeri's Ancient America Museum Exhibitions, Conferences and
> Lectureshttp://community-2.webtv.net/Topiltzin-2091/AncientAmerica/index.htm

Note the exclusion of significant populations from this, first, study.
A point not emphasized here. "Dillehay notes that the current study
excludes Native Americans from the United States and eastern Brazil.
"It's a sampling bias," he says, that might have erroneously favored
the Pacific coast migration model."

Science News Online

Week of Dec. 1, 2007; Vol. 172, No. 22
Northwest Passage: Americas populated via Alaska, genetics show

Brian Vastag

A single population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait

into Alaska and subsequently fanned out to populate North and South

America, according to a new genetic analysis of present-day indigenous
Americans.

<snip>
Despite the migration findings, Holliday and Dillehay both say that
southward migration along interior routes should still be considered.
Dillehay notes that the current study excludes Native Americans from
the United States and eastern Brazil. "It's a sampling bias," he says,
that might have erroneously favored the Pacific coast migration model.

Rosenberg says that a second paper will soon address the genetics of
tribes in the United States and whether there was more than one major
Siberian migration.

While the study points to an eastern Siberian origin for most of the
genes that spread across the Americas, it can't rule out small genetic
contributions from other groups, says Kari Britt Schroeder of the
University of California, Davis. In 2001, scientists unearthed 8,000-
to 11,000-year-old skulls in Brazil that strikingly resemble today's
Australian aborigines (SN: 4/7/01, p. 212). The find fueled
speculation that several waves of immigrants from different parts of
Asia reached the Americas.

"Even if Native Americans share a lot of ancestry from a single
origin, there still could be contributions from other groups," says
Schroeder.

Matt Giwer

Dec 1, 2007, 5:55:38 PM12/1/07
michael...@mac.com wrote:
> Listeros,
>
> The first critiques of this week's research report that a single
> population of prehistoric Siberians crossed the Bering Strait into
> Alaska and subsequently fanned out to populate North and South America
> and showed some data hinting that the coastal route may have been the
> way this group traveled through the Americas have now been stated.

Without knowing a lot more I am not going to pretend to critique it but ...

Eskimo look distinctly like the modern oriental and unlike the north or south
American Indian. The few samples of far south American Indians I have seen
appear to be different from North American Indians but not as marked as the
Eskimo difference. But I have seen only a verfy few pictures. And besides Latin
American Amerinds are heavily mixed with Europeans so that may not mean a thing.

If the suggestion is they all came from Siberia that is not in question save
for the Heyerdahl and Egyptian fanatics -- and Greek and Roman and Judean and
Atlantis and Mu and all others just so I offend no one, not even Mitt Romney. If
the Siberian population changed over time as we would expect then this really
does not change the previous understanding. The previous being there were three
distinct waves of immigration to the Americas thousands of years apart. So
Siberians came three different times and the Siberian genotype changed in the
intervening years -- I don't see the point other than mapping the time variation
of the Siberian genome.

If the point was to exclude a European origin for the Clovis people then I see
no mention of any western European samples, Basque most importantly in this case.

So the most I can see is to take the Amerind map and see if it can be connected
to genome change in Siberia. That is not particularly interesting but if the
exercise works it may be applicable to more interesting regions like the Basque
and Celtic regions. OK, Celts aren't to interesting but the Basques are IF their
language is truly as old as hypothesized.

And the eastern Siberian area is now at a point that should Russia ever fully
develop it the local language will have to be Chinese not Russian so the idea of
local oriental migration is not to be ruled out and Manchuria once conquered
China which is the basis for the Chinese claim to Manchuria.