ScholarPress 1.1.1 - unable to organize widgets / error scheduling events - resolved?

mwillits

Aug 3, 2009, 1:51:41 PM8/3/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Two problems I think I fixed and wanted share.

Installation Environment: WPMU 2.8.2, Buddypress 1.0.3
SP Courseware 1.1.1

Used WPMU built-in Add New Plugin installer, default install to /wp-
content/plugins/scholarpress-courseware/

A) When SP activated, could no longer add / remove / organize widgets
in Widgets panel. Clicking on the widget would show the move arrow,
but move was not possible. Deactivating SP resolved this problem. Upon
reactivating SP, I was again unable to move widgets.

B) When scheduling an event, received failure as reported in this
thread (first poster): http://wordpress.org/support/topic/277687

Resolution Attempts

1) Disabled all plugins in mu-plugins and plugins directories, except
for SP Courseware. Still experienced A and B problems above.
2) Disabled and deleted SP Courseware. Installed manually via FTP and
activated. Still experienced A and B problems above.
3) Searched around and found this thread re: renaming directory from
'scholarpress-courseware' to just 'spcourseware' :
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/144338. Changed directory name, and
reactivated SP Courseware.

So, #3 solved both A and B above (I think, for now).

However, the calendar gif image for the date picker was now broken
(didn't show). Tracked that down to line 36 and corrected to reflect
renamed spcourseware directory:

Line 36: buttonImage: "file:///Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wp-7-beta/wp-
content/plugins/scholarpress-courseware/datepicker/calendar.gif",

So far, everything seems to be working, but I'd appreciate any
feedback if I missed anything. Thanks for making a great plugin!

Mario A. Núñez

Aug 3, 2009, 2:48:44 PM8/3/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Thanks a lot for the fix. The widgets are now working. However, I am
able to add assignments but they do no appear in schedule. Any help
would be appreciatted.

Mario

mwillits

Aug 3, 2009, 2:56:22 PM8/3/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Okay, maybe still some trouble at the mill.

The issue of the calendar gif disappearing had me perplexed, because I
did a complete refresh of my browser, and the calendar gif was
completely gone - only the entry boxes remained. Digging back into the
datepicker.html file, I realized the Line 36 was pointing to a local
directory on a MAMP installation:

/wp-content/plugins/scholarpress-courseware/datepicker/datepicker.html

Line 36:
buttonImage: "file:///Applications/MAMP/htdocs/wp-7-beta/wp-content/
plugins/scholarpress-courseware/datepicker/calendar.gif",

I'm not sure how to point it to the correct gif file in the install
directory, or if this is even necessary? Why? Because SP Courseware
stopped working, for whatever reason.

Recall that I'd changed the plugin directory to spcourseware. Looking
around, I saw that Line 31 in the spcourseware-admin.php file still
referenced the path to the default directory:

/wp-content/plugins/scholarpress-courseware/spcourseware-admin.php

Line 31:
$spcourseware_path = ABSPATH . PLUGINDIR . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR .
'scholarpress-courseware/';

Frustrated, I deleted the entire spcoureware directory, then manually
FTP'd the original scholarpress-courseware (v. 1.1.1) directory and
activated the plugin, leaving everything (directory name, etc.) as
default. The calendar gif returned and was functional, and I was able
to add scheduled events.

I have yet to activate any additional plugins and mu-plugins, so I'm
not sure whether it's a plugin conflict, or some issue with the
database tables not being created or something?

Thoughts?

mwillits

Aug 3, 2009, 3:00:15 PM8/3/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Hey Mario,

Glad to help. However, check out my reply below. I'm still playing
around and will report back with progress.

- Michael
Message has been deleted

Jeremy Boggs

Aug 3, 2009, 9:38:19 PM8/3/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Hi mwillits,

The plugin should make the path to the calendar icon an absolute URL,
using a constant in WordPress called WP_PLUGIN_URL. It looks like this
isn't the same constant name used in WordPress MU. I'll have to check
it out. We haven't tested this with WordPress MU, but we're hoping to
spend some significant time in the near future to make it fully
compatible with MU.

The plugin should work with the standalone version of WordPress,
version 2.8.2. If you or anyone else is getting this error there as
well, let me know and I'll look into it.

Thanks!
Jeremy

mwillits

Aug 4, 2009, 12:34:55 AM8/4/09
to ScholarPress Dev
Jeremy, thanks for the follow-up. I just posted a note on this thread
re: blank pages where the schedule and bibliography should appear.
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/295890?replies=3

That makes sense about it working on WP and not WPMU. I'm happy to
lend a hand and report back if you need some help testing
compatibility with WPMU. I'm rather eager to get it working for my
faculty.

- Michael