WP 0.7.5, Permalinks with subdomain issue.

BandonRandon

Aug 27, 2008, 2:41:16 AM8/27/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Hello,

I posted a help topic in the wp support forum located here <a
href="http://wordpress.org/support/topic/199598?replies=1">http://
wordpress.org/support/topic/199598?replies=1</a>.

Here is a brief summary of the issue, I have the plug in and
application installed and everything displays great except for the
hyperlinks to the blog. They will show up as "http://app.facebook.com/
canvas_url/permalink" instead of "http://blog.url.com/permalink".

I chatted with Dave Lester about this and he told me to his knowlege
the plug-in has not been tested with subdomains. He also referred me
to this site and explained how Jon took over much of the project. I am
fairly new to php/wordpress but I was able to locate where the
solution. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Brandon

John Eckman

Aug 27, 2008, 2:59:25 AM8/27/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brandon - sorry you're having an issue.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but what you describe sounds
like "behaves as designed" to me - a feature, not a bug. ;)

Let me explain, using my own blog as an example.

My blog:
http://www.openparenthesis.org/

In facebook:
http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/

A specific blog post permalink (on my blog):
http://www.openparenthesis.org/2008/08/13/updated-wordpress-facebook-plugin

That same specific post in facebook:
http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/2008/08/13/updated-wordpress-facebook-plugin

Note that the part of the url which begins with /2008 on to the end is
the same.

This lets people see the individual blog post *in facebook* and
comment on it from there, with their facebook user id.

Are you saying you'd rather have the permalinks be links to your blog,
taking the user back out of Facebook?

That's certainly possible - I think (but haven't tested) that just
commenting out line 230 in the wpbook.php file would do it.

Change line 230 in wpbook.php from:
add_filter('post_link','fb_filter_postlink',1,1);
To:
// add_filter('post_link','fb_filter_postlink',1,1);

And upload that - this should make all the post links point back to
your full blog domain name, though it will mean that now people won't
be able to comment using their Facebook profile.

John Eckman
eckma...@gmail.com
http://www.johneckman.com/

BandonRandon

Aug 27, 2008, 3:32:20 AM8/27/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Wow Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes we are on the same page, your post has
made it clear to me how this plugin is suppose to work. I feel quite
silly but I had a capitalization error in my canvas url which resulted
in a facebook 404 page. This gave me the idea that it was a broken
link, which lead me to belive that it was suppose to direct to the
blog.

Thanks for your help!
Brandon

On Aug 26, 11:59 pm, John Eckman <eckman.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brandon - sorry you're having an issue.
>
> Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but what you describe sounds
> like "behaves as designed" to me - a feature, not a bug. ;)
>
> Let me explain, using my own blog as an example.
>
> My blog:
> http://www.openparenthesis.org/
>
> In facebook:
> http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/
>
> A specific blog post permalink (on my blog):
> http://www.openparenthesis.org/2008/08/13/updated-wordpress-facebook-...
>
> That same specific post in facebook:
> http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/2008/08/13/updated-wordp...
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/

BandonRandon

Aug 27, 2008, 3:32:33 AM8/27/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Wow Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes we are on the same page, your post has
made it clear to me how this plugin is suppose to work. I feel quite
silly but I had a capitalization error in my canvas url which resulted
in a facebook 404 page. This gave me the idea that it was a broken
link, which lead me to belive that it was suppose to direct to the
blog.

Thanks for your help!
Brandon

On Aug 26, 11:59 pm, John Eckman <eckman.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brandon - sorry you're having an issue.
>
> Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but what you describe sounds
> like "behaves as designed" to me - a feature, not a bug. ;)
>
> Let me explain, using my own blog as an example.
>
> My blog:
> http://www.openparenthesis.org/
>
> In facebook:
> http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/
>
> A specific blog post permalink (on my blog):
> http://www.openparenthesis.org/2008/08/13/updated-wordpress-facebook-...
>
> That same specific post in facebook:
> http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/2008/08/13/updated-wordp...
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/

BandonRandon

Aug 27, 2008, 3:47:23 AM8/27/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Sorry one more thing, it seams that my permalink sturucture is still a
bit off. It goes to blog.site.com2008-date which resltes in a
site.com2008 can not be found. I temarally fixed this by adding
another / at the end of my canvas url so it's app.facebook.com/
canvas_url//post which seams to work fine.

John Eckman

Aug 27, 2008, 5:10:18 AM8/27/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
hmm. I wonder if I'm calculating the offset wrong.

Is there a trailing slash in your "callback url"?

My callback url is set to: http://www.openparenthesis.org/

My canvas page url (in facebook settings) is: openparenthesis
(facebook adds the trailing slash itself)

In wordpress settings, under WPBook, my canvas entry is: openparenthesis

It may be that if you're not adding the trailing slash in the callback
url, that's causing the issue?

Where did you add the trailing slash to your canvas url - in the
WPBook settings inside wordpress, or in your application settings in
facebook?

BandonRandon

Aug 27, 2008, 12:26:25 PM8/27/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Thanks again jon for the help and quick reply. I forgot the trailing
slash in my call back url once added, i removed the one from my canvas
url (from within wordpress)

It seams i keep on making little mistakes.

Your support makes me want to donate to the plugin where is the best
place to do that, or is it better to donate to schorlorpress? let me
know and i'll throw you a few dollars.

Brandon
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/
Message has been deleted

John Eckman

Aug 28, 2008, 5:43:03 AM8/28/08
On Aug 27, 2008, at 5:26 PM, BandonRandon wrote:

> Thanks again jon for the help and quick reply. I forgot the trailing
> slash in my call back url once added, i removed the one from my canvas
> url (from within wordpress)
>
> It seams i keep on making little mistakes.

Honestly I don't think of these as mistakes - what you're doing is
uncovering the places where the documentation is unclear or makes
assumptions. Here, for example, there's nothing anywhere which says a
callback url in facebook should contain the trailing slash. Lots of
folks seem to be confused by what their "callback url" should be in
facebook to begin with, let alone whether it has a trailing slash.

It's hard when you work on something to know what it is like for
someone new to the project to try to use it - so I'd call these bug
reports. ;)

> Your support makes me want to donate to the plugin where is the best
> place to do that, or is it better to donate to schorlorpress? let me
> know and i'll throw you a few dollars.

I don't know if Dave has any infrastructure set up for donations for
scholarpress; for me personally I'd rather you donate to some local
(to you) non-profit or charity.

Jeremy Boggs

Aug 28, 2008, 9:57:30 AM8/28/08
On 8/28/08, John Eckman <eckma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Your support makes me want to donate to the plugin where is the best
> > place to do that, or is it better to donate to schorlorpress? let me
> > know and i'll throw you a few dollars.
>
> I don't know if Dave has any infrastructure set up for donations for
> scholarpress; for me personally I'd rather you donate to some local
> (to you) non-profit or charity.

Dave and I talked about this briefly yesterday, and agreed that we
currently don't have time to set up a method for contributing money to
ScholarPress. Thanks for the generous offer, though! I definitely
agree with John's suggestion of donating the money to a charity or
non-profit of your choice.

Best,
Jeremy

--
Jeremy Boggs
Creative Lead, Center for History and New Media

BandonRandon

Aug 28, 2008, 2:33:39 PM8/28/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Jeremy and Jon,

I am currently involved with many non-profits in my area, I think it's
really cool that you suggest that I support them :). I did have an
idea however, this mostly refers to Jons comment about the
documentation and my "bug reports." would it be possible for me to
help the project in the way of re-writing the documentation/install
instructions. I would be willing to do so then you could decide
whither to post it or not. Also as i mentioned before it was hard for
me to find this group. I would suggest either a link to it on
scholorpress or on wordpress plugin directory.

Take care,
Brandon

BandonRandon

John Eckman

Aug 29, 2008, 5:26:10 AM8/29/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brandon.

I have actually been adding to the README file as things come up, but
I'd be more than happy to have you write up some documentation and
share it with us.

I can add it in to the next release of the plugin. Jeremy - can you
add a reference to this group to the scholarpress site?

Dave Lester

Aug 29, 2008, 10:56:24 AM8/29/08
to ScholarPress Dev
There's already a link to this group under the community tab, but if
that isn't intuitive then I can go ahead and add it as top-level
navigation on the site.

Dave
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/

BandonRandon

Aug 29, 2008, 3:06:29 PM8/29/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Dave,

after looking thu the site for a second time. I was able to find the
link to this group on the home page and under community. I think it
was because the first time i was there i just clicked on "pugins" then
got aggravated and what i felt was a lack of information. I should
have spend more time looking for this group. I did leave a comment
about a post that contains an extra http:// on the site. it was the
ScholarPress Dev List blog the links to the plugins are
http://http://extend.wordpress...

Thanks again guys for your work!

astronomer

Oct 20, 2008, 2:36:03 PM10/20/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Hi, I just installed the app but I am having a different problem with
the permalink:

Instead of showing http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5 it shows
http://apps.facebook.com/http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5 and this
way, facebook says no such page exists.

Also, I would like to know how I can add the application to the boxes
in the facebook profile.

If you could help I'd appreciate it a lot. I already appreciate and
thank a lot for making the plugin.
Hoping to see more updates for the application soon.

Thank you,

With best regards,
Pradipt

On Aug 27, 1:59 am, John Eckman <eckman.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Brandon - sorry you're having an issue.
>
> Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but what you describe sounds
> like "behaves as designed" to me - a feature, not a bug. ;)
>
> Let me explain, using my own blog as an example.
>
> My blog:
>        http://www.openparenthesis.org/
>
> In facebook:
>        http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/
>
> A specific blog post permalink (on my blog):
>      http://www.openparenthesis.org/2008/08/13/updated-wordpress-facebook-...
>
> That same specific post in facebook:
>      http://apps.new.facebook.com/openparenthesis/2008/08/13/updated-wordp...
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/

astronomer

Oct 20, 2008, 2:47:41 PM10/20/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Also, I'd like to see timestamps for the blog posts, if there is any
way.
Thanks again.

On Oct 20, 1:36 pm, astronomer <pradiptashres...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I just installed the app but I am having a different problem with
> the permalink:
>
> Instead of showinghttp://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5it showshttp://apps.facebook.com/http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5and this

John Eckman

Oct 20, 2008, 2:53:42 PM10/20/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
Pradipt - can you share what some of your settings are?

Within facebook, when you created your facebook application, what did
you set as:

- the "Callback URL"?

- "Canvas Page URL"?

Within WordPress, when you configure the plugin, what are you setting
as:

4. Enter Your Facebook Application's Canvas Page URL: ( http://apps.facebook.com/
[enter just this bit] )

Also might be useful if you can share what your blog homepage is
(outside Facebook) and what your Facebook Application url is.

On Oct 20, 2008, at 2:36 PM, astronomer wrote:

> Hi, I just installed the app but I am having a different problem with
> the permalink:
>
> Instead of showing http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5 it shows
> http://apps.facebook.com/http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5 and this
> way, facebook says no such page exists.
>
> Also, I would like to know how I can add the application to the boxes
> in the facebook profile.
>
> If you could help I'd appreciate it a lot. I already appreciate and
> thank a lot for making the plugin.
> Hoping to see more updates for the application soon.
>
> Thank you,
>
> With best regards,
> Pradipt

John Eckman

Oct 20, 2008, 2:55:54 PM10/20/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
I'll add the timestamps as a requested feature to the queue - not sure
when I'm going to get time to add them but that's a relatively simple
thing.

astronomer

Oct 21, 2008, 11:32:24 PM10/21/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Callback URL (same as blog url)
http://pradipta.com.np/

Canvas Page URL (same as app url)
http://apps.facebook.com/pradipta/ [added just pradipta in the box
provided. the backslash is already given.]
Checked at Use iframe

At wordpress, 4. Canvas Page URL:
http://apps.facebook.com/pradipta no slash at last

other options used at facebook :
Allow IP Blocking Exceptions>no
Can your application be added on Facebook?> Yes
Who can add your application to their Facebook account? > Users > All
pages
Default Profile Box Column>wide
Canvas width> use full canvas width

Thank you
Pradipt

On Oct 20, 1:53 pm, John Eckman <eckman.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pradipt - can you share what some of your settings are?
>
> Within facebook, when you created your facebook application, what did
> you set as:
>
>         - the "Callback URL"?
>
>         - "Canvas Page URL"?
>
> Within WordPress, when you configure the plugin, what are you setting
> as:
>
>         4. Enter Your Facebook Application's Canvas Page URL: (http://apps.facebook.com/
> [enter just this bit] )
>
> Also might be useful if you can share what your blog homepage is
> (outside Facebook) and what your Facebook Application url is.
>
> On Oct 20, 2008, at 2:36 PM, astronomer wrote:
>

> > Hi, I just installed the app but I am having a different problem with
> > the permalink:
>
> > Instead of showinghttp://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5it shows
> >http://apps.facebook.com/http://apps.facebook.com/wpbook/?p=5and this
> > way, facebook says no such page exists.
>
> > Also, I would like to know how I can add the application to the boxes
> > in the facebook profile.
>
> > If you could help I'd appreciate it a lot. I already appreciate and
> > thank a lot for making the plugin.
> > Hoping to see more updates for the application soon.
>
> > Thank you,
>
> > With best regards,
> > Pradipt

> John Eckman
> eckman.j...@gmail.comhttp://www.johneckman.com/

John Eckman

Oct 22, 2008, 9:56:00 AM10/22/08
to scholarp...@googlegroups.com
This should just be:
"pradipta"

(Without the quotes)

On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:32 PM, astronomer wrote:

> At wordpress, 4. Canvas Page URL:
> http://apps.facebook.com/pradipta no slash at last

astronomer

Oct 22, 2008, 11:45:55 AM10/22/08
to ScholarPress Dev
Thank you very much! It is working perfectly now!