insufficient data to generate preview

alex b

Jun 20, 2011, 2:34:19 PM6/20/11
to Schema.org Discussion
I've just run my test page through googles Rich Snippets Testing Tool,
and it's giving me the 'error' in the subject line. I've got ~30 tags
on the page. How are we supposed to know what's missing???

Here's my page...

http://myyp.com/corp/test1.htm

Martin Hepp

Jun 21, 2011, 3:59:31 AM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex:

As far as I know, the Google Rich Snippets testing tool is currently not accepting schema.org content, just the "regular markup formats", e.g.

- GoodRelations in RDFa,
- the old Google Microdata vocabulary, and
- Microformats.

This is a pity, because without a validator and with the numerous bugs in the current schema.org documentation, it is hard for developers to implememt schema.org correctly.

Best
Martin Hepp

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: he...@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone: +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax: +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www: http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype: mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Michael Hausenblas

Jun 21, 2011, 4:01:04 AM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com

This is a pity, because without a validator and with the numerous bugs in the current schema.org documentation, it is hard for developers to implememt schema.org correctly.

+1 ... dear sponsors, when will this change?

Cheers,
Michael

Guha

Jun 21, 2011, 10:44:40 AM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com, pra...@google.com
This is not correct. You should be able to use the Rich Snippets testing tool with the new vobcaulary and it will give you the triples that are extracted.

guha

László Török

Jun 21, 2011, 11:15:38 AM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com

Can you gives us examples of such snippets? I tried a few of the examples on the schema.org offers page  and it didn't work.

sent from my mobile device

alex b

Jun 21, 2011, 1:57:07 PM6/21/11
to Schema.org Discussion
So does anyone know how to find out what's required to get the Rich
Snippets Tool to render a NewsArticle?

It find all of my tags, but says 'insufficient data to render
preview'.

Martin Hepp

Jun 21, 2011, 2:05:21 PM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com, pra...@google.com
But it does not show a preview of the rich snippet. That is what I was referring to.
Martin

* Quickstart Guide for Developers: http://bit.ly/quickstart4gr
* Vocabulary Reference: http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1
* Developer's Wiki: http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations
* Examples: http://bit.ly/cookbook4gr
* Presentations: http://bit.ly/grtalks
* Videos: http://bit.ly/grvideos

alex b

Jun 21, 2011, 2:57:39 PM6/21/11
to Schema.org Discussion
I've tested the Rich Text Snippets Tools with the following four tests
and it did NOT ever render a preview. Test4.htm includes every
itemprop for itemtype=http://schema.org/Thing and still did NOT render
anything.

http://myyp.com/corp/test1.htm
http://myyp.com/corp/test2.htm
http://myyp.com/corp/test3.htm
http://myyp.com/corp/test4.htm

Anyone know of another test tool?
> > e-mail:  h...@ebusiness-unibw.org

Jason Ronallo

Jun 21, 2011, 3:44:32 PM6/21/11
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM, alex b <alex_b...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've tested the Rich Text Snippets Tools with the following four tests
> and it did NOT ever render a preview.  Test4.htm includes every
> itemprop for itemtype=http://schema.org/Thing and still did NOT render
> anything.
>
> http://myyp.com/corp/test1.htm

It seems you won't currently get an example of what a search result
_might_ look like--they're working on that still, but you can see the
"Extracted rich snippet data from the page" further down to let you
know what you're doing.

I'd be interested in what other tools folks find to help developers. I
wrote a post over a week ago about what I had found at the time for
developing microdata and what I was using to show what items could be
found on pages under development:
http://ronallo.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/microdata-rails-and-microdatajs/

Jason

Dzonatas Sol

Jun 21, 2011, 4:23:33 PM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
Does this "rich" "item":

<object triple thing name=things id=entity>
<param thing>- GoodRelations in RDFa,</param>
<param thing>- the old Google Microdata vocabulary, and</param>
<param thing>- Microformats.
</object>

analyze within this constraint(the limits):

lexically? This is how the lexical analyzer extracts this much.

--
--- http://twitter.com/Dzonatas_Sol ---
Web Development, Software Engineering

Kavi

Jun 21, 2011, 5:46:13 PM6/21/11
to Schema.org Discussion
Jason is correct -- the rich snippets testing tool currently can show
what data was extracted from the page, but does not yet show rich
snippet previews for schema.org markup. We're working now on adding
this support.

In addition, we only support rich snippets formats for some types of
content on schema.org. There is currently no rich snippets UI format
for NewsArticle or Thing, for example. Over time, we'll be making use
of more item types and will announce any new UI features as they are
rolled out.

You can see which data types have corresponding rich snippets UIs
today, as well as seeing an example UI preview, by referring to the
links on this help page:
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/topic.py?topic=21997

Regards,
Kavi
Google

On Jun 21, 12:44 pm, Jason Ronallo <jrona...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:57 PM, alex b <alex_bramb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've tested the Rich Text Snippets Tools with the following four tests
> > and it did NOT ever render a preview.  Test4.htm includes every
> > itemprop for itemtype=http://schema.org/Thingand still did NOT render

Dzonatas Sol

Jun 21, 2011, 11:02:15 PM6/21/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
The lexical analyzer sees this:

urn:corp:http.myyp.com:htm:l:test1,test2,test3,test4

>>> e-business& web science research group

>>> universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen
>>>

>>> e-mail: �h...@ebusiness-unibw.org
>>> phone: � +49-(0)89-6004-4217
>>> fax: � � +49-(0)89-6004-4620
>>> www: � �http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/(group)
>>> � � � �http://www.heppnetz.de/(personal)
>>> skype: � mfhepp
>>> twitter: mfhepp
>>>

>>> Check out GoodRelations for E-Commerce on the Web of Linked Data!
>>> * Project Main Page:http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Martin Hepp

Jun 22, 2011, 1:11:24 AM6/22/11
to schemaorg-...@googlegroups.com
he means that the Microdata extractor shows the data, which it does, but it does not generate a preview.
;-)