Scala 2.10.0-M1 is out!

Francois

Jan 20, 2012, 8:31:23 AM1/20/12
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hello guys,

As the news does not seems to have reach that list (or I missed it) but is broadly available on the web, I wanted to let the mailing-list that Scala 2.10.0-M1 is out.

And I would like to really thanks Scala developers to have produce that milestone, it was something asked for for a long long time... So thanks !

The news is here: http://www.scala-lang.org/node/12250

And among included goodness, there is:

  • Preliminary Reflection API
  • faster inliner
  • scaladoc improvements (Thanks docspree folks!)
  • virtualized pattern matcher

Cheers !

--
Francois ARMAND
http://fanf42.blogspot.com

Sciss

Jan 20, 2012, 8:40:56 AM1/20/12
to Francois, scala...@googlegroups.com
cool, now only one question

• Preliminary Reflection API

• faster inliner
• scaladoc improvements (Thanks docspree folks!)
• virtualized pattern matcher

• many more!

where do I find out about any of these? what is the preliminary reflection API, what is the virtualized pattern matcher? And then, what is many more?

:) best, -sciss-

Edmondo Porcu

Jan 20, 2012, 8:46:20 AM1/20/12
to Sciss, Francois, scala...@googlegroups.com
Where can I find informations about the faster inliner? :)

Best Regards

Francois

Jan 20, 2012, 8:59:40 AM1/20/12
to Edmondo Porcu, Sciss, scala...@googlegroups.com
On 20/01/2012 14:46, Edmondo Porcu wrote:
Where can I find informations about the faster inliner? :)

Best Regards

2012/1/20 Sciss <con...@sciss.de>
cool, now only one question

       • Preliminary Reflection API
       • faster inliner
       • scaladoc improvements (Thanks docspree folks!)
       • virtualized pattern matcher
       • many more!

where do I find out about any of these? what is the preliminary reflection API, what is the virtualized pattern matcher? And then, what is many more?

:) best, -sciss-

Well, perhaps it was why the Scala team didn't issued an annoncment here :)

To be crystal clear: I have nothing to deal with Scala compiler dev, I'm just a Scala user who saw the announcement on scala-lang.

On the other hand, I know that several of these subject were discussed in that mailing list, or Scala language, or Scala dev one.

Sheers,

Josh Suereth

Jan 20, 2012, 9:24:12 AM1/20/12
to Francois, Edmondo Porcu, Sciss, scala...@googlegroups.com
a lot (all?) of these discussions were on scala-internals *or* the publically viewable pull-request of github.com/scala/scala

Example:

I apologize for not having a better feature list this time.   We'll have a much better one ready for milestone 2 next month.

- Josh

PS, you can check the SIPs, I couldn't remember which ones are feature complete

Ismael Juma

Jan 20, 2012, 9:25:56 AM1/20/12
to scala-user
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Francois <fan...@gmail.com> wrote:
As the news does not seems to have reach that list (or I missed it) but is broadly available on the web, I wanted to let the mailing-list that Scala 2.10.0-M1 is out.

It was in scala-announce.

Best,
Ismael

Ismael Juma

Jan 20, 2012, 9:27:04 AM1/20/12
to scala-user
Hey Josh,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
I apologize for not having a better feature list this time.   We'll have a much better one ready for milestone 2 next month.

Do you guys have a rough plan of how many milestones before the first beta or RC?

Best,
Ismael

Josh Suereth

Jan 20, 2012, 10:47:09 AM1/20/12
to Ismael Juma, scala-user
1/mo. until the first beta or RC :)

I'm not sure how many features/fixes martin is pushing for 2.10.  My guess is a push for something at ScalaDays based on past experience, but I'm not the one to ask about that.

- Josh

Ismael Juma

Jan 20, 2012, 11:06:33 AM1/20/12
to Josh Suereth, scala-user
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
1/mo. until the first beta or RC :)

Fair enough. :)

I'm not sure how many features/fixes martin is pushing for 2.10.  My guess is a push for something at ScalaDays based on past experience, but I'm not the one to ask about that.

We'll find out soon enough.

Best,
Ismael

Daniel Sobral

Jan 20, 2012, 1:24:49 PM1/20/12
to Edmondo Porcu, Sciss, Francois, scala...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:46, Edmondo Porcu <edmond...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Where can I find informations about the faster inliner? :)

Truth is, the only place to get good information about all that stuff
is source code and commit logs. In some cases, there's also a SIP.
Actually, I think only String Interpolation has a SIP, among the new
features.

This is not a new Scala release, and the target are not common
developers. The *main* goal of milestones is to ensure that libraries,
tools, and, perhaps, very big users, can verify that no regressions
have been made, and that Scala progress is not going in a problematic
direction.

Now, I'm not a developer, just a user -- and a very unimportant one at
that. I do follow the developers mailing lists, I do read the commits,
and I like to help people who are learning Scala. So, if you'd like to
try out a work-in-progress for the next Scala version, please do so!
It's very fun, actually, and you *can* influence the language
development, even if in small ways. Just, please, let's avoid threads
about how work-in-progress is this work-in-progress, ok? :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral

I travel to the future all the time.