Scala 2.9.1-1

Antonio Cunei

Mar 4, 2012, 3:17:56 PM3/4/12
to scala-a...@googlegroups.com, scala-l...@googlegroups.com
The Scala Team is happy to announce a new stable release in the Scala
2.9.x series: 2.9.1-1. This release fixes a critical Java-Scala
interoperability issue that arose in 2.9.1. Here is the change list:

* Don't mark mixed-in methods as bridges.
* Add SYNTHETIC flag for BRIDGE methods.
* Update build for publishing to sonatype OSSRH

The Scala 2.9.1-1 release is intended to be a conservative bug fix
release; it will be followed by another, more aggressive bug fix release
called 2.9.2.

Scala 2.9.1-1 can be downloaded from http://www.scala-lang.org/downloads

Michael Slinn

Mar 4, 2012, 4:32:36 PM3/4/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
SBT scalaVersion := "2.9.1.1" breaks lots of builds that use %% for dependencies that have not yet made new versions available. Wish SBT could be told that Scala 2.9.1 ~= 2.9.1-1

Mike

√iktor Ҡlang

Mar 4, 2012, 4:36:19 PM3/4/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike!

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Michael Slinn <msl...@gmail.com> wrote:
SBT scalaVersion := "2.9.1.1"

Well, that's wrong. it's "2.9.1-1"

breaks lots of builds that use %% for dependencies that have not yet made new versions available.

Well, that's the downside of %%. But how would it guess which version id to append to the artifact id?
It might already have some support for it, but it definitely sounds tricky to me.

Wish SBT could be told that Scala 2.9.1 ~= 2.9.1-1

I prefer to be explicit about dependencies. This is also why I shun SNAPSHOT dependencies.

Cheers

Mike

--
Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale

Twitter: @viktorklang

Jason Zaugg

Mar 4, 2012, 4:57:13 PM3/4/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM, Michael Slinn <msl...@gmail.com> wrote:

You can continue to use dependencies built agains 2.9.1 with:

scalaVersion in update := "2.9.1"

-jason

Roland Kuhn

Mar 4, 2012, 5:24:03 PM3/4/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-l...@googlegroups.com

Now _that_ is a nice one! I guess this explains why scoped settings are desirable.

Regards,

Roland Kuhn
Typesafe — The software stack for applications that scale
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Josh Suereth

Mar 4, 2012, 10:39:53 PM3/4/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
One of the myriad of reasons why scoped settings are amazing, yes.

Blair Zajac

Mar 5, 2012, 12:42:12 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com

I package Scala for MacPorts and noticed that sbaz is missing. Is this a
deliberate removal and sbaz will be missing from all successive releases? If
this is a one time, accidental removal, then I'll treat it differently from a
permanent removal.

Here are the other things added and removed, notably missing is
scala-tool-support in 2.9.1-1.

$ diff -ru scala-2.9.1.final/ scala-2.9.1-1|g ^Only
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/bin: sbaz
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/bin: sbaz-setup
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/bin: sbaz-setup.bat
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/bin: sbaz.bat
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/doc: sbaz
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/doc: sbaz-setup
Only in scala-2.9.1-1/doc: scala-devel-docs
Only in scala-2.9.1-1/lib: scala-partest.jar
Only in scala-2.9.1-1/lib: scalacheck.jar
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/: meta
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/misc: sbaz
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/misc: sbaz-testall
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/misc: scala-tool-support
Only in scala-2.9.1.final/src: sbaz-src.jar
Only in scala-2.9.1-1/src: scala-partest-src.jar
Only in scala-2.9.1-1/src: scalap-src.jar

Blair

Vlad Patryshev

Mar 5, 2012, 2:13:23 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Could not find a definition of the term, "scoped settings"; any hints please? (No, I'm not banned on Google.)

Thanks,
-Vlad

Roland Kuhn

Mar 5, 2012, 2:26:02 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vlad,

easy to find once you google “xsbt wiki” ;-)

Regards,

Roland

Roland Kuhn
Typesafe – The software stack for applications that scale.
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Heiko Seeberger

Mar 5, 2012, 2:34:00 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Vlad,

In this context (scalaVersion in update := "2.9.1") the scope is the update task. That means that the scalaVersion used for updating library dependencies is 2.9.1 and not 2.9.1-1.

Heiko

Josh Suereth

Mar 5, 2012, 6:50:37 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com

Sbaz is deprecated and gone.

As for the rest (tool support) see the github/scala/scala-dist project.   The plan is to generate packages in their for specific tool support.   Chat with me offline if you can.  I'm building the new installer and I want native installers.

Paul Phillips

Mar 5, 2012, 11:13:44 AM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:

Sbaz is deprecated and gone.

2.9.1-1 is an unfortunate choice of version to roll out such a change though.  In fact anywhere in the 2.9.x series is less than ideal, but a -N version particularly so.  Where possible, removal of deprecated items should take place in 2.X.0 only, because removing things can only interfere with the stability we hope to provide.

martin odersky

Mar 5, 2012, 2:50:38 PM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com

I agree. Probably too late to change now, however. -- Martin

Josh Suereth

Mar 5, 2012, 5:47:04 PM3/5/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com

We lost sbaz in the move to github.  I was not expecting a 2.9.x release again, so hoped we'd be OK.

If you want me to revive it, I can take the time to redo its build system.  Currently I considered it not worth the effort, especially with sbaz for 2.9.1 binary compatible with 2.9.1-1.

Indrajit Raychaudhuri

Mar 6, 2012, 8:44:47 AM3/6/12
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
One thing to keep in mind is that this technique would work *only* for the purpose of update, compilation. Not for other things.

You won't want this when any of the following is important for you:
- `make-pom` – versions in the dependencies might not be what you want
- you selectively depend on the exact version of lib dependencies if they are around – it's all or none
- you generate/publish cross build version of your libraries for 2.8.x, 2.9.x etc. as well

My favorite escape hatch is avoiding %% and use `cross` operator instead :)

- Indrajit