[Sbcl-devel] surprise, surprise: demoting 1.1 to sbcl-1.0.16, demoting myself

William Harold Newman

Apr 11, 2008, 11:13:53 PM4/11/08
to sbcl-...@lists.sf.net
I wrote a few days ago that if no resolution of the ASDF issues in CVS
head were forthcoming, I would just release what exists and let the
sbcl-stable-branch folk sort it out in patches. But as I prepared to
do that today, I had second thoughts. I still do want to release what
exists, before the freeze drags on forever. Instead of calling it
sbcl-1.1, though, I now prefer to just call it sbcl-1.0.16 and let
some future release be named sbcl-1.1.

In other news, I'd like to resign as project administrator. This
decision is not affected by sbcl-1.1 release issues: I've been
absently thinking about it for months, and actively for the past month
or so. The decision is hardly affected by anything about the SBCL
project at all, in fact. Other things in my life have chewed up a lot
of my energy and motivation, and it is far harder for me to deal with
any extra responsibilities than it used to to be, and SBCL is just one
of the casualties. There is, however, one effect running the other
way: given that I've decided to resign, I find myself reluctant to
drop iffy 1.1-ness on my successors' laps.

I now plan to release sbcl-1.0.16 tomorrow if there are no compelling
objections. (The delay is because I'm embarrassed at how I'm swerving
at the last minute, after telling people a few days ago that something
different was going to happen. I am impatient to release something,
but I want to give people at least a little chance to raise objections
they'd've raised before if on Tuesday I'd said correctly then what'd
happen with this release.) After releasing sbcl-1.0.16, perhaps I will
have hardly any leftover "lame duck" responsibilities: if there's a
consensus about a suitable replacement for project administration, I
can hand over my old SourceForge permissions and be done. Failing
that, if there's some delay in reaching consensus or settling
practicalities, my fallback plan is to release a conservative
sbcl-1.0.17 before lapsing into inactivity.

--
William Harold Newman <william...@airmail.net>
PGP key fingerprint 85 CE 1C BA 79 8D 51 8C B9 25 FB EE E0 C3 E5 7C

Christophe Rhodes

Apr 14, 2008, 6:24:48 AM4/14/08
to William Harold Newman, sbcl-...@lists.sf.net
william...@airmail.net (William Harold Newman) writes:

> In other news, I'd like to resign as project administrator.

I owe Bill a debt of gratitude for his guidance and advice, as well as
all the work he's done in the SBCL sphere; I've found it a pleasure to
work with him. Thank you, Bill.

Since the European Common Lisp Meeting is this weekend, it's not
unlikely that there might be face-to-face conversations there about
future administration: of those with the SourceForge `commit bit', at
least Juho, Nikodemus and I are attending -- and there are presumably
at least some others in the SBCL community who might take an interest.

Cheers,

Christophe

Nikodemus Siivola

Apr 18, 2008, 6:21:27 AM4/18/08
to Christophe Rhodes, William Harold Newman, sbcl-...@lists.sf.net
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:24 PM, Christophe Rhodes <cs...@cantab.net> wrote:
> william...@airmail.net (William Harold Newman) writes:
>
> > In other news, I'd like to resign as project administrator.
>
> I owe Bill a debt of gratitude for his guidance and advice, as well as
> all the work he's done in the SBCL sphere; I've found it a pleasure to
> work with him. Thank you, Bill.

Since you phrased this better then I ever could, I can only say... me too!

Thank you, Bill.

> Since the European Common Lisp Meeting is this weekend, it's not
> unlikely that there might be face-to-face conversations there about
> future administration: of those with the SourceForge `commit bit', at
> least Juho, Nikodemus and I are attending -- and there are presumably
> at least some others in the SBCL community who might take an interest.

Sounds sensible. See you tomorrow -- assuming I still manage to
arrange my flights... ;)

Cheers,

-- Nikodemus

Christophe Rhodes

Apr 23, 2008, 8:44:32 AM4/23/08
to sbcl-...@lists.sf.net
Christophe Rhodes <cs...@cantab.net> writes:

> Since the European Common Lisp Meeting is this weekend, it's not
> unlikely that there might be face-to-face conversations there about
> future administration: of those with the SourceForge `commit bit', at
> least Juho, Nikodemus and I are attending -- and there are presumably
> at least some others in the SBCL community who might take an interest.

The model that Juho, Nikodemus and I agreed to propose to the wider
community was approximately the following:

All current CVS committers who desire it can have the SourceForge
"project administrator" bit set, to do administration on the
facilities that SourceForge provides: new project members, mailing
list issues, and the like.

Juho, Nikodemus and I take over release management for the next six
months, at which point we discuss what in that time has worked and
what hasn't, and whether any changes (to personnel or process) need
to be made. We continue to do time-boxed releases (though since
time has slipped, maybe not at the now-traditional 25thish of the
month); 1.1 may or may not happen during this six-month period,
depending on how people feel.

All else continues as before, with a vote of thanks to Bill for
having taken up these responsibilties for so long.

I hope that this is OK by people,

Best,

William Harold Newman

Apr 29, 2008, 9:00:13 PM4/29/08
to sbcl-...@lists.sf.net
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:44:32PM +0100, Christophe Rhodes wrote:
[snip]

> The model that Juho, Nikodemus and I agreed to propose to the wider
> community was approximately the following:
>
> All current CVS committers who desire it can have the SourceForge
> "project administrator" bit set, to do administration on the
> facilities that SourceForge provides: new project members, mailing
> list issues, and the like.
>
> Juho, Nikodemus and I take over release management for the next six
> months, at which point we discuss what in that time has worked and
> what hasn't, and whether any changes (to personnel or process) need
> to be made. We continue to do time-boxed releases (though since
> time has slipped, maybe not at the now-traditional 25thish of the
> month); 1.1 may or may not happen during this six-month period,
> depending on how people feel.
>
> All else continues as before, with a vote of thanks to Bill for
> having taken up these responsibilties for so long.
>
> I hope that this is OK by people,

It seems to be uncontroversial, and it is OK by me; all hail the new
administration.