SASS --watch path:path broken on Windows

Zsolt Ero

Oct 16, 2011, 9:03:19 AM10/16/11
to sass...@googlegroups.com
I have just installed SASS to learn it, but in 5 minutes I found a very obvious bug:

The --watch syntax for directories goes crazy because of the C:\ path format in Windows.

What's even more bad is that SASS doesn't provide any error report, it just watches silently without outputting files.

OK, to be clear the following syntax doesn't work on Window:

sass --watch e:\myproject\sass:e:\myproject\csss
nor does
sass --watch "e:\myproject\sass":"e:\myproject\csss"
nor
sass --watch e:\myproject\sass\:e:\myproject\csss\
nor
sass --watch "e:\myproject\sass\":"e:\myproject\csss\"

The only way to make it work is to use relative paths. For example if you do:
sass --watch sass:css
it works
so does:
sass --watch .:.

It is a very serious bug and I don't know how no one noticed it before. It pretty much breaks the SASS functionality on Windows when you want to use full paths (what is a natural idea for project directories). Is there no one using SASS on Windows and experiencing the same behaviour?

Charles Roper

Nov 8, 2011, 6:37:01 AM11/8/11
to sass...@googlegroups.com
Use forward slashes instead. Although Windows does use backslashes for its path separators, you can use forward slashes with Ruby and they get automatically converted.

E.g., sass --watch e:/myproject/sass:e:/myproject/csss