Fwd: NEVER ENDING PROBLEMS AT MAS

1 view

A Imran

Nov 13, 2005, 10:22:49 PM11/13/05
to sangk...@googlegroups.com

--- Hossein <bk_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> for SkyChef to milk MAS.
>
> MAS serves salads in its meals, which were made
> using lettuce grown in Cameron Highlands. Two months
> ago MAS stopped buying lettuce from Cameron
> Highlands and opted for very expensive imported
> lettuce from Australia. No one (other than certain
> folks at the Purchasing Department) seem to know the
> reason for this expensive switch.
>
> In Engineering, MAS may have three test pads to
> check out avionics – two in KL and one in Penang.
> Because all avionics are tested out in KLIA, the
> test pad in Penang is never used. Each costs over
> RM200,000 a piece.
>
> When MAS presented its quarterly results, they
> carefully avoided any mention of Professional
> Services. This means 'consultants'.
>
> MAS has employed more than 17 different
> consultants and are still employing more
> consultants. There are so many Australian and
> British consultants that the MAS office in Subang
> looks like an orang putih outfit. One consultant is
> paid RM5000 per day. Other consultants are paid in
> excess of RM2.0 million per year. Considering that
> the company’s total losses are increasing, no one
> seems to know just what is the positive impact of
> all these consultants.
>
> The latest addition to this list of consultants is
> a lady hired from Citibank Singapore who is paid
> RM60,000 per month. The headhunters who hunted her
> down were paid RM180,000. This lady is in charge of
> Services – to handle the outsourcing of MAS support
> services like IT, ticketing, administration etc.
> Outsourcing has been quite disastrous for MAS too
> because it has cost the company even more money.
>
> After outsourcing IT, response time to fix
> computer glitches at the non front line departments
> have been slowed down (two to four days). Some of
> these outsourcing contracts are also being eyed by
> companies related to Directors that sit on the Board
> of MAS. One of them is the Symphony Group that is
> controlled by Dato Azman Yahya (formerly of
> Danaharta) who is a MAS Board member.
>
> To bring the company around Munir Majid has asked
> senior executives at MAS to take voluntary pay cuts
> up to 30%. This is childish and not even foolish
> thinking. As a good example Munir says that he has
> not taken his acting MD allowance for the past
> months. MAS folks say Munir’s comments are
> justified because he is not fit to be an MD.
>
> But Munir’s financial loss is consoled by the
> fact that despite the company making so much losses,
> he has recently bought an oil painting for over
> RM1.0 million using company funds that hangs in his
> office. What have financial losses got to do with
> appreciating art ?
>
> The people who know exactly what is wrong with MAS
> are the rank and file. At meetings with the
> management they have voiced their opinions but to
> no avail. The ringgits involved in MAS are huge.
> Many hands are in the cookie jar.
>

> ---------------------------------
> Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in

Yahoo! Model Search 2005 - Find the next catwalk superstars - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/model-search/

Bala Pillai

Nov 13, 2005, 11:32:18 PM11/13/05
to sangk...@googlegroups.com

AI,

What do you think should be done?

cheers../bala
> Yakcop - the Second Finance Minister. If King Midas
> fuel bills - aviation fuel. It is hoped that Mr
> Jala's experience as an oilman will help MAS do a
> better job in buying aviation fuel on a futures
> basis (futures contracts). The same futures markets
> that caused Bank Negara's RM17.0 billion debacle.
> But the fuel problem is not specific to MAS alone.
> The whole industry suffers high fuel costs. MAS has
> other more serious problems which may not be in Mr
> Jala's domain or job description.
>
> MAS suffers significant waste. For example the
> Prime Minister's brother Ibrahim Abdullah is a
> shareholder in SkyChef - a joint venture with
> Lufthansa - which has taken over the job of MAS
> Catering. This is a very lucrative deal for SkyChef
> but a bleeder for MAS.
>
> Even if the flight to London is half full, SkyChef
> still puts on a full load of food on every flight.
> At the end of the flight the extra food is thrown
> away. MAS has to pay for that wastage. Each meal in
> a plastic tray can cost more than RM25.00. How is Mr
> Jala going to deal with that ?
>
> SkyChef has also negotiated the catering contract
> such that a full load of mineral water is put on
> all flights that adds to the airplanes weight and
> burns more fuel. When the plane returns, any
> unopened bottles of mineral water are put back on
> the flight and charged to MAS again. A neat way
> for SkyChef to milk MAS.
>
> MAS serves salads in its meals, which were made
> using lettuce grown in Cameron Highlands. Two months
> ago MAS stopped buying lettuce from Cameron
> Highlands and opted for very expensive imported
> lettuce from Australia. No one (other than certain
> folks at the Purchasing Department) seem to know the
> reason for this expensive switch.
>
> In Engineering, MAS may have three test pads to
> check out avionics - two in KL and one in Penang.
> Because all avionics are tested out in KLIA, the
> test pad in Penang is never used. Each costs over
> RM200,000 a piece.
>
> When MAS presented its quarterly results, they
> carefully avoided any mention of Professional
> Services. This means 'consultants'.
>
> MAS has employed more than 17 different
> consultants and are still employing more
> consultants. There are so many Australian and
> British consultants that the MAS office in Subang
> looks like an orang putih outfit. One consultant is
> paid RM5000 per day. Other consultants are paid in
> excess of RM2.0 million per year. Considering that
> the company's total losses are increasing, no one
> seems to know just what is the positive impact of
> all these consultants.
>
> The latest addition to this list of consultants is
> a lady hired from Citibank Singapore who is paid
> RM60,000 per month. The headhunters who hunted her
> down were paid RM180,000. This lady is in charge of
> Services - to handle the outsourcing of MAS support

A Imran

Nov 13, 2005, 11:50:58 PM11/13/05
to sangk...@googlegroups.com
Peace Bala,

Frankly I don't know. Perhaps we should allow Tony
Fernandez to take over if he's interested. I met him
once anyway in my shop and I'm quite impressed with
him. I know Idris Jala too, and frankly I don't see
anything special in him, but I may be wrong.

A.