How to read various metres in shlokas?

SriKanth!

Jun 10, 2016, 10:10:04 PM6/10/16
to samskrita
sarvEbhyo nama:

While reading Sanskrit shlokas is there any best way to read the various metres? Some shlokas read in certain fashion (for example, Bhagavat Gita reading style employed by Samskrita Bharati etc) suit better and sound better.

Some shlokas in metres such as Anushtub, Pushpitagra, Totaka automatically reveal the reading style, others such as shikarini etc are if not read in certain style becomes difficult.

dhanyavAda:
srikanth.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 11, 2016, 12:14:37 AM6/11/16
to samskrita
Please follow my 16-minute presentation called 'Mirror of Sanskrit Meters or वृत्तदर्पण' on youtube.  There I have illustrated recitations of 31 commonly used meters with examples drawn from well-known Sanskrit works, along with some basic concepts

Arvind Kolhatkar.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 11, 2016, 12:16:49 AM6/11/16
to samskrita
Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnUhll0zzA
Arvind Kolhatkar.

Nagaraj Paturi

Jun 11, 2016, 12:57:34 AM6/11/16
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
Sometime ago, Sri Nityanandji posted this link on another list:

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Arvind_Kolhatkar <kolhat...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnUhll0zzA
Arvind Kolhatkar.

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

SriKanth!

Jun 11, 2016, 12:20:11 PM6/11/16
to samskrita
Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.

I think this one area of learning Samskrita requires more materials like these. Different ways of reading the shloka, with different musical ways etc.

SriKanth!

Jun 11, 2016, 12:28:14 PM6/11/16
to samskrita
This is fantastic too. Thanks for sharing.

While browsing in Youtube i found these NCERT videos on various chandas..

n balu

Jun 11, 2016, 2:15:31 PM6/11/16
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Respected Sri Kolhatkar,
I have read that Gayatri has laghu and Guru syllables in the ratio of 22/7 (or 16 to 10). Is this true ? Are there other examples of meters of meters with this ratio. Please also give a well known sloka  as example as you have done for the 31 meters. Maybe one or more of them follow the rule of 22/7 .

Thanks,
Balu

Dr. N.Balasubramanian
9, VLN Prabuddhalaya
748 A, Nisarga Layout
Bannerghatta P.O.
Bangalore 560083
India
Phones
Home:+91 (80) 22057309
Mobile :+91 9986448022
skype: nbalu23

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 12, 2016, 4:29:48 PM6/12/16
to samskrita
Dear Dr Balasubramanian,

I do not think I have any competence to answer your question as my acquaintance with Vedic meters is very superficial.  I may however say that I have so far not come across any such connection between the Gayatri Chanda and 22/7, the approximate value of the mathematical constant 'pi'.

Arvind Kolhatkar.

ken p

Jun 13, 2016, 6:22:34 PM6/13/16
to samskrita

Shreevatsa R

Jun 14, 2016, 7:46:13 AM6/14/16
to samskrita, SriKanth!
You may also listen to the following, where Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh recites poems in various common metres, along with brief descriptions of them (~82-minute audio, split into separate Youtube videos): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLABJEFgj0PWVXr2ERGu2xtoSXrNdBs5xS

Anantha Iyer

Nov 28, 2018, 11:46:33 PM11/28/18
to samskrita
Hari Om, Namaste

Thanks for putting up this presentation. This is very useful

Anantha Iyer

J Ra

Nov 29, 2018, 7:05:08 AM11/29/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I have not got the mail reg metres. Can you please send me

Ryan Armstrong

Nov 29, 2018, 8:39:59 AM11/29/18
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste J Ra
The original conversation seems to have taken place over two years ago!
Here is a link to the full transcript:

Kind Regards
Ryan
--