[Samskrita] Website Designing Help

Sita Raama

Feb 9, 2012, 12:15:14тАпPM2/9/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,
I am thinking to create an exclusive website for Valmiki Ramayanam. I am attaching my thoughts about the website on a page along with first chapter on Ramayanam.┬а

I did not write the text, I took the permission Late Desiraju Hanumanta Raogaru who created this site.┬аhttp://sanskritdocuments.org/sites/valmikiramayan/baala/sarga1/bala_1_frame.htm
However there are many typos and the "Pratipadartha" is in english instead of devangari.

For those who are┬аwondering┬аhow did i create the pdf, then I painstakingly┬аreformatted┬аit in LaTeX.┬а

I want to present this text along with, Rama, Tilaka and Govindaraja tika for each verse for all the 6 volumes of Shri Valmiki Ramayanam.┬а

It may take years. Years is what I have, what I don't have is the technical expertise to create a good website like this.┬аhttp://nakula.learnsanskrit.org/texts

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.┬а
regards
photo.PNG
BalaKanda_001.pdf

Viswanath B

Feb 10, 2012, 12:07:23тАпAM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rama,

Kudos to a great idea. Since the volume of the work is not small, any attempt to do in HTML directly would be error prone and very tough. I suggest the following -

1. Create a HTML template for a shloka - like the picture you have shared. templatize this using xml or equivalent. The idea is that the raw content typed into an xml file (or others) can be auto converted in to webpages with all the formatting.

2. Create / Use a UI application for typing in the content, which can take the user input and convert to the intermediate form, the xml file.

This way, we end up spending some time upfront on the templates, but will spend almost zero time on the actual webpages, look and feel, and consistency.

Hope this helps, Let me know if I have not understood you correctly,

Thanks
Viswanath

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 10, 2012, 8:13:34тАпAM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to the creation of a new website dedicated to ValmikiRamayana. A Similiar one with audio, commentaries and translation, original text is already in progress for long:(some commentaries are already have completed data for whole kaanda-s only one or two are remaining to be completed.)

Another one with translation, word by word anvaya etc. is also available online:

Congratulations for the third or many be some more I had not noticed during my search.

Best wishes

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Sita Raama

Feb 10, 2012, 7:04:08тАпPM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Hari,
Thanks for sharing, IITK has really done a great job of putting all these commentaries at one place.┬а
I guess now I can let go this idea and focus on Sanskritam Learning.┬а

Thanks
Raama

рд╕реБрд▓рднрд╛рдГ рдкреБрд░реБрд╖рд╛ рд░рд╛рдЬрдиреН рд╕рддрддрдореН рдкреНрд░рд┐рдп рд╡рд╛рджрд┐рдирдГ | \\

рдЕрдкреНрд░рд┐рдпрд╕реНрдп рдЪ рдкрдереНрдпрд╕реНрдп рд╡рдХреНрддрд╛ рд╢реНрд░реЛрддрд╛ рдЪ рджреБрд░реНрд▓рднрдГ || Ramayanam || рей-рейрен-реи || ┬а& || рем-резрем-реирез ||

Message has been deleted

Sunder Hattangadi

Feb 10, 2012, 10:56:17тАпPM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
A site such as this one seems to augur well:
┬а
┬а
┬а
┬а
Regards,
┬а
sunder

Feb 11, 2012, 6:37:44тАпAM2/11/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Upendra,
Thanks for the encouragement, honestly I did not like the way they presented the data. Its very slow.┬а
I wanted to create it because I have all the content to create but lack the skill for good data organization.┬а
I am talking to website designer if required I will hire a professional to create the templates and later fill the data.┬а
Lets see how that effort goes.┬а

Raama

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Upendra Watwe <upendr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello All,
I would like it if the community can create some archive out in the open internet rather than under IIT to hold such a valuable research/ presentation.
I seriously doubt if we can leave it to the decisions of the govts.who may suddenly decide that this is talking about hindu religious figures and cut the grant(if this is under a grant) or simply close it off.
Upendra
warm regards
Upendra Watwe
400 Cold Spring Road,D317,
Rocky Hill, CT , USA -06067
+1-860-479-1718
+1-860-757-3823

Samba

Feb 16, 2012, 12:11:05тАпPM2/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Raama,
Raamaayanam, and that too with explanations from various perspectives is going to consume thousands of pages and a lot of disk space, hence i would advise you to go with some CMS like drupal or joomla than writing your own web app. Also, don't try to write each page in html but create a LATEX, XML or some other template and upload the content into database which can be utilized by these cms to generate a web page dynamically. Store your content in database which offers more reliability and tools for backup and restore, etc. apache also works faster when it can fetch the data from the database rather than finding one of the thousands of files in the file system. CMS would help you manage the site more peacefully in the long run.
Regards,
Samba

Sethu Ramachandran

Mar 2, 2012, 4:48:11тАпAM3/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
GREETINGS.
Thanks for all the points raised here and the worthy answers received.
I have been requested to prepare a set of select slokas of Srimad.Vamiki Ramayana,
in sanskrit with transliteration in English and in Tami along with meaning either in
English or in Tamil. My Guruji has selected nearly 400 verses in sanskrit and
I have to do the rest of the job. can anyone help me in getting the details of the site from transliteration
for these slokas in English & in Tamil. This is intended for Ramayana Dyanam.
Thanks,
Sethu.R

Nityanand Misra

Mar 2, 2012, 6:10:36тАпPM3/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
What format do you have the shlokas in? Have you already typed them in Devanagari? If not then you should be able to find the English transliteration at Digital Corpus of Sanskrit by searching for keywords, which you can convert to Devnagari using many tools like http://www.ashtangayoga.info/philosophy/transkription-tool/

If you have them in Devnagari already, you can convert to IAST at http://www.ashtangayoga.info/philosophy/transkription-tool/ as well.

Google Labs had a tool sometime back to transliterate Devnagari text to other Indian languages which I had used to convert some Nagari text to Gujarati script. They no longer have it.
Nity─Бnanda Mi┼Ыra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com

|| рдЖрддреНрдорд╛ рддрддреНрддреНрд╡рдорд╕рд┐ рд╢реНрд╡реЗрддрдХреЗрддреЛ ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That ─Аtman, O ┼Ъvetaketu)
┬а ┬а┬а - с╣Ъс╣гi Udd─Бlaka to his son, Ch─Бndogyopaniс╣гad 6.8.7, The S─Бma Veda

Venkatesh

Mar 3, 2012, 1:27:53тАпAM3/3/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sri┬а Sethu Ramachandran.

The free desktop tool available at┬аhttp://sites.google.com/site/bhashaime/┬а, besides being an IME, also supports transliteration from and to Devanagari/IAST/ISO15919/Baraha transliteration scheme/Tamil/Kannada/Malayalam. You may find it useful.

Regards
Venkatesh

Sethu Ramachandran

Mar 4, 2012, 4:42:42тАпAM3/4/12