Amarakosha Week 3

Aditya B.S.A

Feb 23, 2012, 2:20:21 AM2/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Just wanted to inform everyone that we'll be starting 10 mins early today, i.e, at 8.20 pm IST. There will be a recap of the 40 odd shlokas learnt before we proceed.

Regards,

आदित्यः

--

अभिनिवेशवशीकृतचेतसां बहुविदामपि सम्भवति भ्रमः।
तदिह भागवतं गतमत्सरा मतमिदं विमृशन्तु विपश्चितः॥

Shobha Saraiya

Feb 24, 2012, 11:55:38 AM2/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
namaste

I need a help with geetam written in sanskrit related to Holi.
can some point me to any websites or links or anything.

shobhA

Nityanand Misra

Feb 24, 2012, 5:29:49 PM2/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Shobha Ji

Gītarāmāyaṇam by Jagadguru Rāmabhadrācārya has 39 songs in Sanskrit on Holi. The songs are set to tunes from folk songs on Holi or on Ragas of classical music.
  1. There are three songs (song 34 to song 36) in the canto tenth canto Gītasītārāmapariṇayaḥ (गीतसीतारामपरिणयः) of the Bālakāṇḍam. This Holi is being played in Mithila.
  2. The canto named Gītasītārāmaholīvihāraḥ (गीतसीतारामहोलीविहारः) in the Ayodhyākāṇḍam has 36 Holi songs. This Holi is being played in Ayodhya.
You can find the work with a Hindi commentary online at http://goo.gl/GnG9k - the pages in the PDF are 310 to 312 (308 to 310 in the book) and 376 to 403 (374 to 401 in the book).

Here is an example song (song 34 from Gītasītārāmapariṇayaḥ)

होलीं  क्रीडति रघुवीरो   जनकपुरे  होलीं क्रीडति रघुवीरः।
तत्र    जनकसुतया  सह  सख्याः अत्र  श्रीलक्ष्मणो वीरः।।१।।
सीतायाः   हस्ते  कनकनिर्झरणी रामः करे परिलसदवीरः।।२।।
सीताशरीरे  नीली  भाति  शाटी   रामः   पीताम्बरचीरः।।३।।
सीताऽपि क्लिन्ना रामनवरागैः रामो बभौ समरुणशरीरः।।४।।
अन्योन्यं क्लेदयतो हसतो सुरागैः शीलयति मलयसमीरः।।५।।
शोभां  वीक्ष्य  गिरिधरो  मुदितो  जयति  सीतावरो  धीरः।।६।।

This song is set to the tune of the famous Awadhi folk song होली खेलैं रघुवीरा अवध में होली खेलैं रघुवीरा which you may be familiar with. Arguably the most "popular" rendition of this tune outside Awadh is the version sung by Sh. Amitabh Bachchan in the Hindi movie Baghban of 2003 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFx87ILa3IY). However, to learn how to sing this tune, I would recommend the rendition of खेलैं मसाने में होली दिगंबर खेलैं मसाने में होली by Pandit Channulal Mishra of Varanasi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-QOC8jSEhc) which is much more authentic and mellifluous.

Here is one more song (song 1 of Gītasītārāmaholīvihāraḥ) which is set to the same folk tune.

होलीं  खेलति  रघुवीरः सरयूतटे  होलीं   खेलति   रघुवीरः।।
श्रीमिथिलेशकिशोरीसहितः जलदश्यामशरीरः सरयूतटे। होलीं खेलति रघुवीरः।।१।।
एकतः सीतासखीगणो धावति अपरतो लक्ष्मणवीरः सरयूतटे। होलीं खेलति रघुवीरः।। २।।
लिम्पति कोऽपि कोऽपि परिसिञ्चति रामो रसति रसधीरः सरयूतटे। होलीं खेलति रघुवीरः।।३।।
सीताकरे भाति कनकदृतीरङ्गः भाति रामहस्ते अबीरः सरयूतटे। होलीं खेलति रघुवीरः।।४।।
होलीरमणीयो जयति श्रीरामः श्रितगिरिधरहृत्कुटीरः सरयूतटे। होलीं खेलति रघुवीरः।।५।।

Thanks, Nityanand

Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com

|| आत्मा तत्त्वमसि श्वेतकेतो ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That Ātman, O Śvetaketu)
     - Ṛṣi Uddālaka to his son, Chāndogyopaniṣad 6.8.7, The Sāma Veda

Shobha Saraiya

Feb 24, 2012, 11:25:04 PM2/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
namaste mahodaya

bahu dhanyavadaaH

bhavadIyA
shobh/A

Shobha Saraiya
email:shob...@yahoo.com

"Yoga teaches us to cure what need not
be endured and endure what cannot be cured"
~B.K.S. Iyengar