best reference grammar ?

dario

Feb 6, 2012, 9:49:02 PM2/6/12
to samskrita
Namaste,
which is the best reference grammar of Sanskrit language ? Someone
knows the book in french, written by Renou, "Grammaire sanskrite" ?
Best regards.
Lorenzo

Ajit Gargeshwari

Feb 6, 2012, 10:35:32 PM2/6/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Please try for Louis Renou french edition.

http://www.archive.org/details/terminologiegram00renouoft

If  you need Sanskrit Grammar in English There are Several by Thomas Egenes, Max Muller, Bucklnell Whitney etc.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

avinash

Feb 8, 2012, 5:41:32 PM2/8/12
to samskrita
I would strongly recommend an old book by M. R. Kale which is
available free as a pdf file on line. It serves both as a text book
and reference book.

This is in response to a request for a Reference Sanskrit grammar
book.

A regular grammar book which is precise and used as text is one by W.
D. Whitney - it can be purchased or picked up free on line as well.
Both of these serve as excellent reference books. I recommend that
Whitney's book be supplemented by his book on roots and verb forms.

For Vedic grammar, you need something else - McDonnell e.g.

It is cheap to buy and also freely available on line as a pdf file.

If a text book is desired with small doses of grammar in each chapter,
then there are several choices of both old and new books.

I would specifically vote against the Egenes book; it is wrong in many
places! I had specifically looked at it as a possible textbook, but
decided against it.

There are several standard textbooks available.
There are books by Goldman, Deshpande, Aklujkar. I like all three.

There are many others as well.

Of course, there are details reference books like siddhAnta-kaumudI,
but these are more useful for advanced queries and not so useful as
text books.

Hope this helps.

On Feb 6, 10:35 pm, Ajit Gargeshwari <ajit.gargeshw...@gmail.com>

dario

Feb 10, 2012, 12:18:31 AM2/10/12
to samskrita
Thanks you very much for the advice. It helps a lot!
Lorenzo

Morgan Morrison

Feb 10, 2012, 2:49:33 AM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste, Lorenzo,

Are you looking for a Sanskrit grammar with which you can learn the Sanskrit language (i.e. a tutorial Sanskrit grammar presentation) or are you looking for a Sanskrit reference grammar, to which you may refer for reviewing some of the more complex and not often used aspects of Sanskrit grammar? Do you know Sanskrit well enough to study Panini's Sanskrit grammar? Are you looking for a Sanskrit grammar in English or some other language? If you can provide me with this information, as appropriate, I can make some specific suggestions for an appropriate Sanskrit grammar for your needs. The Sanskrit Studies Foundation's Library has an extensive collection of Sanskrit reference materials, including over 200 Sanskrit grammars, as well as links to numerous Internet resources that are mostly in the public domain. Contact me if I can be of any additional assistance to you in finding a suitable Sanskrit grammar.

Best,

Morgan Morrison, Ph.D.
Research Professor,
Sanskrit Studies Foundation
Los Angeles, CA, USA/EUA

Pavananandan Kulkarni

Feb 10, 2012, 8:52:57 AM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Namaste,

I am looking for good self learning/video(CD/DVD)/Audio documents/ PPT/PDF for starters. Also can refer some books to start learning samskrita. Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Pavananandan KULKARNI

This Email may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient (s) If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use or disseminate the information, notify the sender and delete it from your system.

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 10, 2012, 9:30:54 AM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Pavananandan Kulkarni <Pavananand...@lnties.com> wrote:

Namaste,

I am looking for good self learning/video(CD/DVD)/Audio documents/ PPT/PDF for starters. Also can refer some books to start learning samskrita. Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Pavananandan KULKARNI

If you are looking for one through English Language, the one provided by Prof. Ashok Aklujkar is accompanied with VCD-s. or audio CDs. If you are looking for Sanskrit Medium, there are 40 CD sets contain Lessons conducted by RSVP.

You can find the information in the above link.  Here is the link to Aklujkar's Book:

Easy Introduction to Sanskrit Language (ESL): by Ashok Aklujkar aklu...@unixg.ubc.ca (604) 822-5185 (Office) Five Audio tapes and book/notes (700+ pages). Suitable for classroom teaching in Universities as well personal studies.($70.) This carefully prepared material can be covered in three semester courses.

I think there is no video, but only video.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Venkata Subbaiah Bathula

Feb 10, 2012, 10:38:26 AM2/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB1EA9EB67D4F9D3A

series of spoken sanskrit, self learning by Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan..!

Subbaiah
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः ।