विजयतेतराम्/विजयतेतमाम्

Nityanand Misra

Mar 14, 2012, 11:21:19 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste

I have been looking for the Paninan Sutras and Kaumudi/Kashika examples which cover the forms like विजयतेतराम् and विजयतेतमाम्. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks, Nityanand

--
Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com

|| आत्मा तत्त्वमसि श्वेतकेतो ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That Ātman, O Śvetaketu)
     - Ṛṣi Uddālaka to his son, Chāndogyopaniṣad 6.8.7, The Sāma Veda

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 14, 2012, 2:39:14 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Nityanand Misra <nmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste

I have been looking for the Paninan Sutras and Kaumudi/Kashika examples which cover the forms like विजयतेतराम् and विजयतेतमाम्. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks, Nityanand

The next rules to

अतिशयाने तमबिष्ठनौ।

cover these examples,

तिङश्च॥ ५।३।५६||
and
द्विवचनविभज्योपपदे तरबीयसुनौ॥ ५।३।५७ ||

which prescribe the suffixes तरप् and तमप् for तिङन्त-s,

added with the sUtra:

किमेत्तिङव्ययघादाम्वद्रव्यप्रकर्षे॥ ५।४।११ ॥

gives you the required forms:

पचतितराम्। पचतितमाम् । विजयतेतराम् - विजयतेतमाम्॥

as these two suffixes are designated as घ - as per सूत्रम्॥
 तरप्तमपौ घः॥ १।१।२१ ॥

I need not mention तिङ् includes both तङ् suffixes also in the examples given by you which is governed by the सूत्रम्॥ विपराभ्यां जेः॥ १।३।१९|| .

Note the number may vary to different versions of Ashtadhyayi. The numbering and the hyperlinks are to the Ashtadhyayi in Sanskrit documents list. In the order of derivation,

"विपराभ्यां जेः"  इति तङ् -  वि+जयते।
 " द्वयोर्विभज्योपपदे तरबीयसुनौ"
"तिङश्च"
इति तरप्तमौ। = घः

"किमेत्तिङ्ङव्ययघादाम्वद्रव्यप्रकर्षे" इति आम्।  >>  विजयतेतर- विजयतेतम + आम् = विजयतेतराम्, विजयतेतमाम्॥

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 14, 2012, 2:41:12 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sorry the hyperlinks do not work. Please look the relevant pages in the sarvanisutrani in the Sanskrit documents list itself:

by typing the numbers given in the sUtra-s.

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 14, 2012, 10:35:57 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
An additional note on the form with multiple suffix to get the final form. Three suffixes are there, the conjugation suffix normal for the verb plus two "taddhita" suffixes, तरप्, तमप् plus one more "tadhita" suffix forming the word finally an अव्यय as per the consideration under the rule : 1-1-38 तद्धितश्चासर्वविभक्तिः । which lists this suffix under the rule. आमु.

The "taddhita" suffixes are added to the conjugated forms of the verbs unlike other "taddhita" suffixes.

Nityanand Misra

Mar 15, 2012, 7:07:28 PM3/15/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Dr Bhat, will look up the references. As I understand, pacatitaraam/tamaam are the examples in commentaries, which explains why a google search for vijayatetaraam/tamaam in nagari could not help me locate the Sutras. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone