Let's learn Amarakosha!

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 12, 2012, 2:53:46 AM1/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

संस्कृतज्ञ्यानोत्सुका:,

मिलित्वा सर्वे अमरकोषं पठाम! संस्कृतछात्राणां कृते अस्य ग्रन्थस्य कण्ठस्थीकरणं बहुलाभाय भवतीति निस्सन्देह:। अतः अग्रिममासात् आरभ्य स्कैप्-यन्त्रेण पुस्तकध्वनिमुद्रिकासहितं अध्ययनम् आरभामहै। २५-जनानां अवध्या स्कैप्-यन्त्रेण दूरवाणी शक्यते।

अस्मिन यत्ने भागं प्राप्तुं इच्छुकाः अत्रैव कृपया सूचयन्तु। आद्यता युवानानां कृते दीयते, यतो हि युवानेभ्यः एते पाठाः भवन्ति अधिकलाभाय।

अहं तु संस्कृतछात्रः, २४ वयस्कः, अपि च अयं यत्नं पूरयितुं किञ्चिद्वा निर्वणादिकं कर्तुं उद्युक्तः अस्मि।  मम संस्कृतज्ञानम् अतिन्यूनमेव, परन्तु बुभुक्षा अस्ति किञ्चित्। मत्सकाशात् एकेन विदुषा उक्तम् अमरकोषस्य पूर्णपारायणं, महेश्वरकृतामरविवेकाख्यटीकया समन्वितः ग्रन्थस्य मूलः च लभ्यते। अचिरात् अन्तर्जाले स्थापयामि।

अत्र स्थिथानां सदस्यानां स्पर्धां परिगण्य, इतिकर्तव्यतां चिन्तयाम। इदानीं विवरणादिकम् इत्थं स्यात्:

Commencement: 10th February.
Sessions: 4 days a week, 30-45 mins each session (mon, wed, fri, sun).
Time: 8.30 pm - 9.00 pm.

I request those who are interested, and will be committed towards this effort, to come forward and help each other so we can learn together.

One more request: If once a week, any of the scholars on this group can spare time to explain the etymologies of the words learnt, from a functional perspective, it would benefit us students greatly.

I hope this takes off, because I'm really keen to learn Amarakosha and it would be fun to learn along with other students. Please indicate your interest (especially those below 30) and let's make this happen.

वचनदोषा: क्षन्तव्याः,

आदित्य:

Shan

Jan 13, 2012, 11:45:08 AM1/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Aditya,

I believe you are referring ti Indian Time.

Since there are members from all over, I amseeking this clarification.

Any particular reason for preferring a certain age group?

Shan

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 13, 2012, 2:40:13 PM1/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Srikanthan mahodaya, Shobha bhagini, thanks for responding! I've uploaded the pdf of Amarakosha with Mahesvara's commentary (which I got off the Digital Library Of India using the DLID downloader). You can download the pdf from here. Also download the swargavarga mp3.

These sessions will happen over Skype. The MO is simple. A step-by-step anuvaada-krama wherein 1st step involves repeating 1 pada, 2nd step - 2 padas, 3rd step - 3 padas, and 4th step the full padya. You look at the script, hear the audio, and repeat. (you will be hearing me repeat it thrice, and you repeat along with me.) The swargavarga has 74 couplets, and if we go at the rate of 12 per week (a brisk yet manageable pace if the covered portion is repeated once everyday), we should have it down in a month and a half. 4 sessions per week are necessary, plus 1 session per module learnt dedicated towards word-meanings and etymology. The key is to internalize it so that we're not just rote-learning but also making active associations between meaning and word.

The sessions start in the second week of Feb, and regarding the schedule, we could do Thursday through Sunday, 8.30 pm to 9.00 pm IST, if that's any better than what was proposed previously.

Bottom-line is we gotta make a committed effort to learning. Hope we get more enthu-cutlets to enlist for this in the coming days! :D

Regards,

आदित्य:

2012/1/13 Shobha Saraiya <shob...@yahoo.com>
namaste Aditya mahodaya,

I am quite interested in learning kintu
i have a sanskrit class on mon and Tues
can i attend the sessions on friday and sunday.

where can i get the book? or may be download the e-copy.
until i order it from some one from India.

Hari Om
shobhA

Shobha Saraiya
email:shob...@yahoo.com

"Yoga teaches us to cure what need not
be endured and endure what cannot be cured"
~B.K.S. Iyengar

Jan 15, 2012, 12:41:24 AM1/15/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
sनमो नमः

Shan, you're right about IST, 8.30 pm to 9.00 pm. About preferring a certain age group, what I'm really looking for is zeal and persistence. One of my weaknesses is that my motivation is easily affected by those around me, and it swings both ways, so if I surround myself with enthu-cutlets, things work out better. If you're a 60 year old with infectious self-motivation, there could be nothing better for this learning effort :)

Ajit, I value your suggestion for its intent to reduce the laboriousness of this effort. I have been studying a small excerpt of Amarakosha which is prescribed in the study material for the Kavya exam in Karnataka. When I come across a word in a story or a padya which I have studied in the amara, the satisfaction of knowing it at a glance is an enriching experience, to say the least. So the question is, on what principles has the reduction of amara been achieved in amarasAra? I seek your clarification on this. Another point is, amara is like a peek into the diversity of life on a scale that is quite astounding for microwave shoppers like me. That's a major driving point behind this undertaking to learn it.

Mkondamudi, I will try to keep posting mp3s of the sessions so you can keep up. The main reason behind making this a group initiative is to try and provide some impetus to keep the effort going until the goal is reached. Interaction between members, which indicates steady, individual and collective progress, is a great impetus. So if you, or anyone for that matter, seeks to be a part of this, I would encourage you to touch base at least once a week and update everyone on your progress once the sessions are underway.

Shobha bhagini, thanks for your commitment. Like you said, this is gonna be really good :)

Regards,

आदित्यः

p.s - Anyone who can spare some time once a week to explain 12 padyas worth of words, please consider helping out a few interested students of Samskritam.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Mkondamudi <mkond...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Namaste,

I would like to join in but my weekends are busy.  I am in US so, I can attend the Thur & Sun.  If you can keep sending the mp3s, I am hoping to keep up with you.

Let me know if you are OK with such a partial attendance.

bhavadiiyaa,
mAdhavI

Jan 15, 2012, 11:22:47 AM1/15/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Aditya, for a great initiation.. I also would like to join the classes, but I will not be able to make it during week days.. It'll be good, if you can also upload the mp3 files of the session, sothat we can learn it offline..

Subbaiah
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः ।

Vinodh Rajan

Jan 16, 2012, 1:03:55 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aditya,

I would like to join too :)

Vimala Sarma

Jan 16, 2012, 1:26:27 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear Adiitya Mahodaya

What are the session times for me in Sydney?

If doable, I would like to join as well.

Vimala

Vimala

Jan 16, 2012, 6:45:15 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I too will try to follow and join the group.

Good endeavor.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 16, 2012, 12:57:47 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

अमरकोषस्य मङ्गलश्लोकः, निबन्ध्श्लोकाः च प्रथमतया पठितव्याः गृहीतव्याः च। हिन्दीभाषया कृता इयं टीका यत् मया अत्र स्थापिता, तया   सरलेन विषयाः अवगम्यते, ये निबन्धरूपेण आदौ श्लोकचतुष्टयेन विलसन्ति।

स्वर्गवर्गपठनात् प्राक् एते अवगतप्रायाः, कण्ठस्थीकृताः च भवेयुः।

आदित्यः

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 16, 2012, 7:09:51 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Thanks for your responses. In view of there being members in various time zones, it might be better for this to happen via Ustream, so the sessions are stored in their server and you can stream off it or download, if you're unable to attend live. Saves me the trouble of having to upload separately as well.

Log in to www.ustream.tv, search for 'amarakosha group' and subscribe to the channel.

Vimala bhagini, Sydney's 5.30 hrs ahead so I'm guessing you can't make it live at 8.30 pm IST.

Those who attend live will have the advantage of a regular timeline, which usually plays a big role cumulatively when learning step by step.

Regards,

आदित्य:

Dipak Ashar

Jan 16, 2012, 11:29:33 AM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Shri Adityaji ,

I would like to join to learn Amarkosh. Will there be translation of padas and shlokas in English ? I have some / basic knowledge of sanskrit and lots of respect and love for sanskrit .I have been reading and collecting lot of subhashitas .

 Will I be able to understand ? Please guide . I have downloaded the mp3 version as well as the pdf version.

regards

Dipak Ashar

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 16, 2012, 9:09:44 PM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:59 PM, Dipak Ashar <asha...@gmail.com> wrote:
Shri Adityaji ,

I would like to join to learn Amarkosh. Will there be translation of padas and shlokas in English ? I have some / basic knowledge of sanskrit and lots of respect and love for sanskrit .I have been reading and collecting lot of subhashitas .

 Will I be able to understand ? Please guide . I have downloaded the mp3 version as well as the pdf version.

Anyone following the method used by Amarasimha for understanding the scheme has utilized in his lexicon. He has collected and arranged in a division based on the contents in groups and sub groups. But this does not give the words like our modern dictionaries in alphabetical order and he expects to identifying them from the forms in the nominative and understand the gender and ending of these terms from these forms. Somewhere he will explain gender and number where it is obligatory. This and many other things how to read and understand the Lexicon-cum-Thesaurus he has given in the introductory verses, before he starts the actual collection in the svarga-varga. So before proceeding, try to understand fully the system he has used and then it will be automatically understood. But he expects the reader, to be able to identify the stem and gender from their forms in nominative case, singular, duel or plural in general. The syntax varies from section to section. At least, one is expected to have learnt शब्दरूपावली by heart so that he could identify the शब्द-s and can decline them in all the cases. While this is a pre-requirement for learning Amakrakosha which ensures the learner identifies the synonyms of any word as given in the Amarakosha and able to decline them in different cases in his own sentences. Grammar comes only at a later stage and this much is enough to understand a poetry generally. Commentary may help to understand the group of synonyms under each head. This is my sincere advice for all the members of the learning group of Amara as sponsored by Adithya.

Here is online Amarakosha interface:

I should be able to provide one with English translation for the synonyms. Right now I could not find itl

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 16, 2012, 9:25:15 PM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Here is the link to the Amarakosha with English headings for the synonyms and an English Index.

shankara

Jan 16, 2012, 10:38:10 PM1/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

For those who want to save time in downloading, the same Amarakkosa edition is available at a much smaller at

It is only 9 mb in size whereas the pdf at 4shared is 720 mb. Quality is equally good. Hope this will be helpful to all.

regards
shankara

For those who want to save time in downloading, the same Amarakkosa edition is available at a much smaller at

It is only 9 mb in size whereas the pdf at 4shared is 720 mb. Quality is equally good. Hope this will be helpful to all.

Thanks Shankar for smaller size file. But it is not 720 MB but 72MB only.

shankara

Jan 17, 2012, 12:34:14 AM1/17/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Bhat Sir,

Yes, you are right. It was a typo.

regards
shankara
Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2012 10:49 AM

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 17, 2012, 4:42:12 AM1/17/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Hi, Dipak. Learning Amarakosha is basically a two-pronged effort. You learn the shlokas  and also their meanings. You need to do both to achieve a good understanding of the grantha. I'm quite a novice to Sanskrit myself, but I've done a few basic things like learning simple grammar, declensions etc. My advice to you would be to come on-board with this effort and learn the shlokas first, and when it comes to their meanings, learn them slowly as you advance in your knowledge of Sanskrit. I intend to do the same.

Regards,

आदित्यः

Dipak Ashar

Jan 19, 2012, 11:20:48 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi , thanks for your reply .

I would like to participate . Request you to send me the schedule , the necessary mail address or the link so that I can join on the skype

regards

dipak ashar

 .

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः

Jan 20, 2012, 1:14:36 AM1/20/12
to Aditya B.S.A, sams...@googlegroups.com
धन्यवादाः खलु आदित्य-महोदय यद्भवता अमरकोशं प्राप्तुं सुलभीकृतम् ।
सस्नेहम्
अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः ।
"श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।"

संस्कृताध्ययनम् ।
http://slabhyankar.wordpress.com
http://study1geetaa2sanskrit.wordpress.com
उपनिषदध्ययनम् http://upanishat.wordpress.com
http://slez-musings.blogspot.com

srivalli anand

Jan 24, 2012, 12:57:12 PM1/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
aditya mahodaya,

I have also added my name to the ustream channel for amarakosha learning. Kudos on your efforts , let us try to learn and benefit together out of this.

Srivalli anand.

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 25, 2012, 6:23:01 AM1/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

1. We have 8 people registered for the Amarakosha Group at ustream.tv. For others who want to register, you must first login to the website via gmail or fb or create a new account for the website. Then, in the search bar, type 'Amarakosha Group' and you'll find the channel. Click on the channel and you'll be led to the channel's page. There click 'Join Crowd' to get notifications about when the channel's gonna broadcast.

2. We start on the 9th of Feb, Thursday, as previously discussed. 8.30 pm to 9.00 pm IST. Thursday through Sunday. Please download the svargavarga mp3 and also to the amarakosha script. Please try to go through the first four shlokas and understand the manner in which the namalinganushasanam is effected. (I'll try to put up an mp3 explaining the same in the meantime).

3. You'll get a notification about the event in your mailbox. I'll be notifying on this thread also, in advance. You don't need the mp3 for the session. You'll be hearing the mp3 through the broadcast, and I shall be repeating thrice, in a manner that I hope is clear and understandable. You just have to repeat along.

4. If someone has the sudha commentary to Amarakosha, please upload the same here for the benefit of us learners.

Regards,

BSA Aditya.

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Sadagopan V <sadag...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमो नमः
As advised by you I signed up (or registered) with ustream.tv. Can you pl let me know how to join the Amarakosa group in the site? I am new to this and an introduction regarding how to use the site will help

-- Sadagopan V

2012/1/18 Aditya B.S.A <amrd...@gmail.com>
नमो नमः

It's great that you want to be part of the effort. I mentioned an age limit and later clarified that I was looking only for people who would be persistent and enthusiastic. If you're going to be the same, then great! Do sign up for ustream.tv and join the amarakosha group channel. I'll send a reminder about this before we start.

रामानुजदासः,

आदित्यः

--

अभिनिवेशवशीकृतचेतसां बहुविदामपि सम्भवति भ्रमः।

तदिह भागवतं गतमत्सरा मतमिदं विमृशन्तु विपश्चितः॥

dhaval patel

Jan 25, 2012, 1:01:39 PM1/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
one more interesting dictionary:

http://jainelibrary.org/book.php?file=016065  - Abhidhanachintamani by hemachandracharyasuri

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM, dhaval patel <drdhav...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. http://www.archive.org/details/AmarakosaofAmarasimha  - Amarakosha with maNiprabhA hindi commentary
2. http://www.archive.org/details/AmarakoshaWithVakhyasudhaCommentary  - Amarakosha with vAkyasudhA commentary
3. http://www.archive.org/details/namalinganusasan00amariala - Amarakosha with kSIrasvAmin commentary
4. http://www.archive.org/details/AmaraKosa - Amarakosha with English translation
5. http://tinyurl.com/www-amarakoshamaheshvaratika - Amarakosha with maheshvara's commentary
6. http://tinyurl.com/maheshvaratikaprinted - maheshvar's commentary printed
7. http://tinyurl.com/tikasarvasva -  Amarakosha with Tikasarvasva of sarvAnanda.
10. http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924023201308 -  Halayudha's Abhidhanaratnamala
11. http://tinyurl.com/amaramandana - Amaramandana of krishnasuri
12. http://www.archive.org/details/amarakoa00amaruoft - Amarakosha with rasala vyakhya

Dr. Dhaval Patel

dhaval patel

Jan 25, 2012, 12:53:31 PM1/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
[...]

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 25, 2012, 1:17:04 PM1/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

धवल् महोदय,

प्रमानवृष्ट्यै धन्यवादः।

आदित्यः

dhaval patel

Jan 25, 2012, 1:21:28 PM1/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

http://tinyurl.com/vishvaprakash - Vishvaprakash

I forgot these two important lexicons.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jan 25, 2012, 1:49:01 PM1/25/12
to samskrita
AmarakoSha in several formats is also available at
http://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_1_index.html

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, January 25, 2012.

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 28, 2012, 3:45:57 AM1/28/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

सर्वेभ्यः स्वस्ति। इदानीम् www.ustream.tv इत्यस्मिन् अन्तर्जालपुटे 'Amarakosha Group' मध्ये  १५ सदस्याः वर्तन्ते। अनुमितं यत् अमरकोषस्य मूलं, ध्वनमुद्रिका च सर्वैः प्राप्तं स्यात्। अद्यावधि न प्राप्तं चेत् अत्रैव उपरिष्टात् कृपया 'लिङ्क्' अनुसृत्य प्राप्नुवन्तु।

फ़ेब्ररिमासस्य नवमे दिनाङ्के प्रथमवर्गः भविष्यति। एकस्मिन् सप्ताहे दिनचतुष्टयेन क्रमशः श्लोकस्य एकस्मै पादात् पादचतुष्टयपर्यन्तं अनुवादक्रमेण अस्माभिः अधीयन्ते, विंशति श्लोकाः पर्यन्तम्। अनन्तरं बोध्यशब्दानां अर्थाः, परामर्शः च भवद्भ्यः उपयोगाय ustream मध्ये एव स्थापितं भविष्यति।

आशामहै यत् सर्वे सदस्याः इमं योजनां उत्तमरीत्या उपयोज्य अमरकोषेण संस्कृतभाषाकुशलं प्राप्नुयुः इति।

वचनदोषाः क्षन्तव्याः

आदित्य:

Aditya B.S.A

Feb 8, 2012, 6:12:16 AM2/8/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Hi all,

One more day to go for the Amarakosha sessions to start! Please login tomorrow at 8.30 pm IST for the half hour session.

Regards,

आदित्यः

2012/2/4 Aditya B.S.A <amrd...@gmail.com>
नमो नमः

वर्गोSयं छात्रसामान्याय संयोजित:। अतः सर्वैः अवश्यः भागः गृहीतव्यः। किञ्च छात्राः यदि परस्परप्रेरणापात्रा: भवेयुः तर्हि समीचीनतरम्।

आदित्यः

2012/2/4 Sadagopan V <sadag...@gmail.com>

Namaste,

Two Sanskrit students - Shri Vasudevan and Smt Hemalatha Chandrasekharan -  from USA want to join "Amarakosa Group". I suppose that they may also join.

-- dasan Sadagopan V

2012/1/12 Aditya B.S.A <amrd...@gmail.com>
[...]

Dipak Ashar

Feb 8, 2012, 9:10:32 AM2/8/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr Adityaji ,

thanks for the intimation . Can you clarify the following points ,

1 - Is it tomorrow or on Friday ? As per the earlier communication , it was supposed to start on 10th February and also it will be held on Monday , Wednesday , Friday and Sunday . Which days , we will have the training sessions , if it starts tomorrow , on Thursday , 9th February

2 - I suppose we have to login on to skype . can u let me know the skype mail ID where we have to log in .

Please clarify

thanks and Regards

Dipak Ashar

Aditya B.S.A

Feb 8, 2012, 9:45:00 AM2/8/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Hi Dipak,

There have been a few communications since the one you're referring to, so let me repeat the details here for clarity's sake:

Schedule: Commencing Thursday, 9th February, 2030 hrs to 2100 hrs IST, Thursday to Sunday each week.

Medium: Live broadcast through www.ustream.tv. Please create an account, login, search for 'Amarakosha Group,' and then click 'Join the Crowd.'

Requirements: Amarakosha moolagranthah pdf (available in this thread), and Svargavarga mp3 for self practice (also available in this thread).

Regards,

आदित्यः

Sameer Kumar Kaushik Mamillapalli

Aug 7, 2014, 6:25:09 PM8/7/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com, amrd...@gmail.com
Hi Adityaji,

I would like to know if you are planning to take a new session of Amarakosha through Skype or any other live streams again?
I am extremely interested.

Regards,
Kaushik

Ramakrishnan D

Aug 8, 2014, 1:38:12 AM8/8/14
to sams...@googlegroups.com

महोदय !

नमोनमः । अहमपि अमरकोशमधीतुमुत्सुकोऽहम् ।

कृपया सूचयतु कथं कदा इति ।

भवदीयः

रामकृष्णः ।

hn bhat

Oct 24, 2018, 10:19:37 PM10/24/18
to samskrita
कथं युवानेभ्यः इति शब्दो दृष्टः?

Raghu S

May 24, 2019, 11:26:35 AM5/24/19
to samskrita
Kindly point me to the learning audios of amarakosha.
I am discovering this group only now and am very interested in learning amarakosha with its intricacies.
Regards.