YADYAPI TATHAPI

padmanabhasharma

Mar 19, 2012, 1:38:39 PM3/19/12
to samskrita
My teacher today told an example using YADYAPI and TATHAPI, but i
didnot understand the exact meaning of those words. Anybody please
explain me how to make sentence using these two words.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 19, 2012, 5:59:32 PM3/19/12
to samskrita
यद्यपि बहु नाधीषे तथापि पठ पुत्र व्याकरणम्।
स्वजनो श्वजनो माऽभूत्सकलं शकलं सकृत्शकृत्॥

Son, even if you do not become very learned, yet do study grammar, so
that स्वजन does not become श्वजन (a dog), सकल (the whole) does not
become शकल (a broken piece), nor does सकृत् (one time) become शकृत्
(a dung heap).

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, March 20, 2012.

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 19, 2012, 8:01:27 PM3/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The highlighted portion should be स्वजनः  श्वजनो
according to the sandhi. formation rules. Very fine example for sentence using both the phrases.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Sunder Hattangadi

Mar 19, 2012, 9:56:46 PM3/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Should   सकृत्शकृत्  be   सकृच्छकृत्  ‍‍?

Regards,

sunder

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 19, 2012, 10:09:50 PM3/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Sunder Hattangadi <sun...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Should   सकृत्शकृत्  be   सकृच्छकृत्  ‍‍?

Regards,

sunder

Then it would be better following "sandhi" form convenient for pronunciation too. Thanks for notifying it. Without sandhi, it would be as above typed for the sake of clarity.

Vimala Sarma

Mar 20, 2012, 12:24:02 AM3/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The sentence construction is where you have a subordinate clause and a main
clause using a relative pronoun, yadi (if.........such and such) and tatha,
a co-relative (then, in that way, likewise,... so...), the second part is
the main sentence.
Here it combined with api: tathApi has the sense of nevertheless, and
yadyapi has the sense of - moreover if, or even though
So the sentence construction will be something like - Even though (eg one
does something) nevertheless (eg something will not occur).
Vimala

Vimala Sarma
My new e-mail is sarma...@gmail.com
+612 9699 4414
+61 409 690 220

shankara

Mar 20, 2012, 1:20:24 AM3/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sharmaji,

There are some very good examples in page 5 of the pdf attached. It is from http://sanskrit.uohyd.ernet.in/Symposium/

'Yadyapi' is used sometimes without 'tathaapi' as in Gita 1.38
यद्यप्येते न पश्यन्ति लोभोपहतचेतसः ।
कुलक्षयकृतं दोषं मित्रद्रोहे च पातकम् ॥१-३८॥

I request scholars of this group to explain whether 'tathaapi' is optional while using 'yadyapi'.

regards
shankara

My teacher today told an example using YADYAPI and TATHAPI, but i
didnot understand the exact meaning of those words. Anybody please
explain me how to make sentence using these two words.

Annotating Sanskrit Texts based on Sabdabodha.pdf

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 20, 2012, 10:08:59 AM3/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:50 AM, shankara <shanka...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Sharmaji,

There are some very good examples in page 5 of the pdf attached. It is from http://sanskrit.uohyd.ernet.in/Symposium/

'Yadyapi' is used sometimes without 'tathaapi' as in Gita 1.38
यद्यप्येते न पश्यन्ति लोभोपहतचेतसः ।
कुलक्षयकृतं दोषं मित्रद्रोहे च पातकम् ॥१-३८॥

I request scholars of this group to explain whether 'tathaapi' is optional while using 'yadyapi'.

regards
shankara

I don't think it is necessary to have "tathaapi" also, but a co-relative clause is enough. But with ":tathaapi"  is idiomatic expression.

In the above it is related, with the next verse:

  1.  कथं  ज्ञेयमस्माभिः पापादस्मान्निवर्तितुम् ।
    कुलक्षयकृतं दोषं प्रपश्यद्भिर्जनार्दन ॥१-३९॥

    Even though these people do not see , due to their minds blurred by their greediness, the evils of the genocide and the sin by betraying friends,
    [then] how we, who can see this evil of genocide could not understand it in order to refrain from this evils.

murthy

Mar 20, 2012, 11:25:42 AM3/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This is a very informative and scholarly paper. Thanks Shankaraji for bringing it to the notice of the group.
REgards
Murthy
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to samskrita+...@googlegroups.com.

padmanabhasharma

My teacher today told an example using YADYAPI and TATHAPI, but i
didnot understand the exact meaning of those words. Anybody please
explain me how to make sentence using these two words.

shankara

Mar 21, 2012, 4:23:54 AM3/21/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Bhat Sir,