[Samskrita] Shabdha Manjari & Dhatu manjari

Sita Raama

Feb 14, 2012, 1:57:37 PM2/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Aditya,
You have given some great tips to memorize amarakosha,
I was wondering if you have any tips to share for memorizing shabda and dhatus.
I am still a beginner and could not remember more than लट् - परस्मैपदी & राम शब्द
I would appreciate if you have any tips to share for memorizing.

regards
Raama

Jonathan Da Fonseca

Feb 14, 2012, 2:32:59 PM2/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Let me see if I can give you a sample of the method we use in my community.
Use the ways you normally walk. For instance from your home to work.
Interior of your house
The door of your house
the street of your house
a establishment in the stree
an office post
etc.
select successive points from house to your job. If  are enough points easily you can get twenty fix points.
By giantism or by humorism visualize each, for instance, dhatu to each place. Observe that for to say twenty you just need mentally to go from home to work and the other way around you will be able to say all in inverse order. Now is just to select more ways able to have twenty easily identifiable points. Always make in groups of twenty.

For me works.

Rajagopalan Ayilam

Feb 15, 2012, 12:06:23 AM2/15/12
to samskrita
One method which I use to memorise what i want to is to record the
thing to be memorised and listen to it even while doing some other
works. One could also recite along with the recordings. It has done
wonders to me. I was able to memorise in this fashion kiratharjuneeyam
second sarga and some many other important slokas for one of my
sanskrit exams.

Regards

Rajagopalan

> --

A.S.Rajagopalan

Aditya B.S.A

Feb 15, 2012, 12:37:00 AM2/15/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Dear Sita Raama,

It's all about finding the path of least resistance, which means making connections that your mind will easily absorb.

My experience with subantas and tingantas is that the mind relates to them like it relates to the quirks of the English language. Simple sentences that we take for granted in English, like, 'Why don't you drop by?' or 'I wouldn't do that if I were you,' contain constructs that require getting used to, but once you're used to them you will not have it any other way.

It's the same with Sanskrit, but with the glaring difference that while many English constructs don't always have an explanation other than prominence of usage, Sanskrit constructs are extremely well defined.

So the first clue to learning lakaaras and shabdas easily is figuring out that while English constructs can be learned just by sustained practice to familiarize yourself with usage, Sanskrit constructs, because of their intricate systematization, are initially learned with more attention to their scope of applicability as defined by Panini. (as well as practice, of course, but the key is 'conscious' practice.)

It's easier to speak with krdanta pratyayas (krutavaan, agatavaan, khaaditavaan) than tingantas because they can be learnt like you pick up English, which is just by using them over and over.

But if you're an enthusiast, you'll very soon bore of krdantas and crave for the variety, preciseness and insight that tingantas have to offer (notwithstanding that speaking in krdantas is much better from the point of view that you'll make lesser mistakes).

Now you're approaching the core reason behind why you should really learn the lakaras and their various forms. They elevate your state of mind and keep you conscious of what your senses are absorbing to a much greater extent than any other verb constructs in any other language. The same applies to the subantas, the noun constructs.

In your journey of learning lakaaras and shabdas, I would encourage you to first understand the basics of kaarakas. I'm doing that right now. Kaarakas are the bridge between the subantas and tingantas, and they connect the two in various ways. I would highly recommend the book by Vidwan Mahabaleshwar Bhatt on the subject, which you can get from Samskrita Bharati (I think you can order online).

Learning this will have you warming up to the unappetizing idea of having to digest all those different forms without knowing exactly how they benefit you. When you understand that the dhaatu connotes a vyaapaara and a phala, and the subanta connotes the persons involved in the vyaapaara and the phala, that's a huge advance in your learning already.

Now, if you were to examine the lakaaras and vibhaktis, that's when you appreciate the interplay between action and actor that's so clearly manifested by them.

So when you sit down to memorize, your memory will be much more receptive, and will want to learn these forms. This makes a big difference to retention capability. I feel that you should also know the prakriya (or derivation) for tingantas and subantas, if not in a manner that you can reproduce without looking, at least in the manner of reading a newspaper. For this, you can go through Sanskrit textbooks at college level. If you already know the prakriya, I think there must be a greater awareness of the fact that knowing it better will result in better memorization.

There are a lot of patterns that you will find as you progress through the various tingantas and subantas. For example, all dhatus that combine with the vikarana pratyaya 'shap' are 'adanta-angas', meaning they end with hrasva a-kaara before they coalesce with ting-pratyayas, and their forms all follow the same pattern. Here I would recommend Vidushi Pushpa Dikishta's Tingantasiddhih, a set of DVDs on the subject, which can be bought from Samskruta Bharati.

So just find the patterns that make memorization easier, and very soon it'll stop being memorization and start being absorption.

Regards,

आदित्यः

Whether you're learning Sanskrit or English, the common factor is that you have to consciously prepare yourself to adapt a standard, which your mind will rebel against first, because the standard seems

अभिनिवेशवशीकृतचेतसां बहुविदामपि सम्भवति भ्रमः।
तदिह भागवतं गतमत्सरा मतमिदं विमृशन्तु विपश्चितः॥

dario

Feb 16, 2012, 10:32:57 AM2/16/12
to samskrita
Dear Aditya,
can you give me some informations about the dvd set Vidushi Pushpa
> Dikishta's Tingantasiddhih ? It is olny for advanced students ? Can you tell me how the lessons are organized ?
Best regards
Lorenzo

On 15 Feb, 06:37, "Aditya B.S.A" <amrda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> नमो नमः
>
> Dear Sita Raama,
>
> It's all about finding the path of least resistance, which means making
> connections that your mind will easily absorb.
>
> My experience with subantas and tingantas is that the mind relates to them
> like it relates to the quirks of the English language. Simple sentences
> that we take for granted in English, like, 'Why don't you *drop by?*' or 'I
> wouldn't do that if I *were* you,' contain constructs that require getting
> and will *want *to learn these forms. This makes a big difference to
> retention capability. I feel that you should also know the prakriya (or
> derivation) for tingantas and subantas, if not in a manner that you can
> reproduce without looking, at least in the manner of reading a newspaper.
> For this, you can go through Sanskrit textbooks at college level. If you
> already know the prakriya, I think there must be a greater awareness of the
> fact that knowing it better will result in better memorization.
>
> There are a lot of patterns that you will find as you progress through the
> various tingantas and subantas. For example, all dhatus that combine with
> the vikarana pratyaya 'shap' are 'adanta-angas', meaning they end with
> hrasva a-kaara before they coalesce with ting-pratyayas, and their forms
> all follow the same pattern. Here I would recommend Vidushi Pushpa
> Dikishta's Tingantasiddhih, a set of DVDs on the subject, which can be
> bought from Samskruta Bharati.
>
> So just find the patterns that make memorization easier, and very soon
> it'll stop being memorization and start being absorption.
>
> Regards,
>
> आदित्यः
>
> Whether you're learning Sanskrit or English, the common factor is that you
> have to consciously prepare yourself to adapt a standard, which your mind
> will rebel against first, because the standard seems
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:02 AM, Jonathan Da Fonseca <stormv...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > *Let me see if I can give you a sample of the method we use in my
> > community.
> > Use the ways you normally walk. For instance from your home to work.
> > Interior of your house
> > The door of your house
> > the street of your house
> > a establishment in the stree
> > an office post
> > etc.
> > select successive points from house to your job. If  are enough points
> > easily you can get twenty fix points.
> > By giantism or by humorism visualize each, for instance, dhatu to each
> > place. Observe that for to say twenty you just need mentally to go from
> > home to work and the other way around you will be able to say all in
> > inverse order. Now is just to select more ways able to have twenty easily
> > identifiable points. Always make in groups of twenty.
>
> > For me works.
> > *

Vasu Srinivasan

Feb 16, 2012, 4:04:04 PM2/16/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Aditya-varya

very well put.. thanks for explaining it nicely
Regards,
Vasu Srinivasan
-----------------------------------
vagartham.blogspot.com
vasya10.wordpress.com

Jonathan Da Fonseca

Feb 17, 2012, 8:24:32 AM2/17/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste
I deep thank you because many I have remembered and also learned.

Aditya B.S.A

Feb 17, 2012, 9:40:54 AM2/17/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

Dear Dario,

The book by Vidwan Mahabaleshwar Bhatt is titled 'कारकम्'. It is in Sanskrit. The tingantasiddhih dvds contain the lectures of Vidushi Pusha Dikshita in Sanskrit, and so presuppose functional comprehension of the language. The lectures are broadly divided into two categories. सार्वधातुकलकाराः and आर्धधातुकलकाराः. She explains briefly (identifying common patterns) the forms of dhaatus belonging to all 10 groups, first in the former category, then the latter.