Sanskrit morphological analysis, inflected-word dictionary pointers.

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 17, 2011, 5:32:45 PM8/17/11
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH
प्रियाणि मित्राणि।

अहं संस्कृत-सुसंस्कृत-सेवायै संगणक-उपकरण-निर्माणेन कार्यं किञ्चित् समर्पितुं इच्छामि। इदानीं उत्तमं अगुप्त-विवरण-युक्तं‌ morphological analysis उपकरणं च संपूर्ण-विभक्ति-प्रत्यय-युक्त-पदानां शब्दकोशं अन्वेषयन् अस्मि। पण्डिताः कृपया निर्देशयन्तु।

मम तु संस्कृत-NLP (natural language processing)  विषये महत्त्वपूर्णं ज्ञानं नास्ति, व्याकर्ण-शास्त्रे अपि नास्ति - केवलं व्यवहारे किञ्चित् अभ्यासः वर्तते।

===
English summary: I seek good open source morphological analysis/ construction tools and dictionaries of fully inflected words for Sanskrit which I can use for some tool making and NLP work.

--
vishvAs

Eddie Hadley

Aug 17, 2011, 8:23:17 PM8/17/11
to saMskRRita-sandesha-shreNiH, Eddie Hadley
Vishvas,
For my own use, I have developed some tools over the past decade or so, whereby I mouse-click on an inflected word e.g. पण्डिताः in a source text and have the part of speech indicated, the stem extracted and automatically displayed in my local version of the MW dictionary.
The source text can be in either or both scripts. (I first ran my conversion program to generate the IAST.)
I have made use of Coulson’s declensions and Huet’s conjugations.
I must add that I have permission from the copyright owners of the MW, and Huet provides free download access for his tables.
The substantive inflections I have taken from Coulson’s book and other sources. So they should be reliable.
These are simple tools, designed to aid translation and interpretation, the grammatical aspects merely a means to that end.
Please see the attached pngs for a better example than this below.
The dictionary is currently having some work done to enable acceptance of ‘fuzzy spelling’ searches.
Eddie

View album
This album has 2 photos and will be available on SkyDrive until 16/11/2011.
View album
अहं संस्कृत-सुसंस्कृत-सेवायै संगणक-उपकरण-निर्माणेन कार्यं किञ्चित् समर्पितुं इच्छामि (ahṃ saṃskṛta-susaṃskṛta-sevāyai saṃgaṇaka-upakaraṇa-nirmāṇena kāryaṃ kiñcit samarpituṃ icchāmi)। इदानीं उत्तमं अगुप्त-विवरण-युक्तं‌ (idānīṃ uttamaṃ agupta-vivaraṇa-yuktaṃ) morphological analysis उपकरणं च संपूर्ण-विभक्ति-प्रत्यय-युक्त-पदानां शब्दकोशं अन्वेषयन् अस्मि (upakaraṇaṃ ca saṃpūrṇa-vibhakti-pratyaya-yukta-padānāṃ śabdakośaṃ anveṣayan asmi)। पण्डिताः कृपया निर्देशयन्तु (paṇḍitāḥ kṛpayā nirdeśayantu)।
paṇḍitāḥ
-āḥ
a paṇḍita mfn. m. nom. voc. pl. f. nom. voc. acc. pl.
paṇḍita, m. nom. pl., m. voc. pl. paṇḍita

-121479311521D46FAD.png
88517084108D89F68.png
click08D89F68.png
-12147931155235A452.png
8851708413939D40D.png

Eddie Hadley

Aug 18, 2011, 6:17:56 AM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
VishvAs,

    Re-sending the attachments as jpg’s, instead of png’s.

Double-click or right-click on the images, and you should see them in their original resolution.

Eddie
pundit.jpg
paṇḍita.jpg

Shreevatsa R

Aug 18, 2011, 7:01:46 AM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
2011/8/18 vishvAs vAsuki <vishvas...@gmail.com>

English summary: I seek good open source morphological analysis/ construction tools and dictionaries of fully inflected words for Sanskrit which I can use for some tool making and NLP work.

The following are the best resources available online that I know.
If you find (or make) anything better, please let me know.

1. The Sanskrit Heritage site run by Gérard Huet http://sanskrit.inria.fr has a lot of morphological tools:
* declension of nouns, conjugation of verbs: http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DICO/grammar.html
* a sandhi tool: http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DICO/sandhi.html
* a "reader" that can parse, segment, etc. phrases: http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DICO/reader.html
[For instance if you're reading the Ramayana and come across the verse "अनया चित्रया वाचा त्रिस्थानव्यञ्जनस्थया / कस्य नाराध्यते चित्तमुद्यतासेररेरपि //" and you are not sure how to read the last part, this amazing tool can help: http://sanskrit.inria.fr/cgi-bin/sktreader?t=KH&st=t&us=f&cp=f&text=cittamudyatAserarerapi&topic=&mode=p suggests (correctly) that it is cittam + udyata + aseH + areH + api, along with each word's case, etc.]

2. Then there is http://sanskritlibrary.org/ (by Peter Scharf etc.) which also has a few tools: http://sanskrit1.ccv.brown.edu/tomcat/sl/Tools

3. There is Oliver Hellwig's website http://kjc-fs-cluster.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/index.php which provides some limited access to results from his Sanskrit Tagger. (Or at least it says so; I haven't been able to figure out how to use the website or what exactly it offers.)

Unfortunately, none of these seems to be open-source, but
* since you also asked for dictionaries, Gerard Huet has generously made available a dictionary/databank of inflected forms under the LGPL for linguistic resources, at http://sanskrit.inria.fr/DATA/XML/
* many of their ideas have been published in academic papers, for instance Hellwig's approach is described in this paper among others: http://sanskrit.inria.fr/Symposium/DOC/Hellwig.pdf

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 18, 2011, 4:49:33 PM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I have received 3 enthusiastic/ enthusing responses to my query; and I know that many other saMskRta-priyas are interested in similar endeavours. I will look at the various resources suggested, try to contact the authors for access to code/ technology which we can build upon. We should seriously create an open source sanskrit NLP project which encompasses various tools and data.

Because many of us Sanskrit-lovers have both programming skills and some Sanskrit knowledge (if not linguistics/ NLP expertise), there is now great opportunity and will to develop useful Sanskrit tools. For example, I dream of a day when I will be able to read any English webpage in Sanskrit, when the Sanskrit wikipedia will approach the English version the richness of its content. (For an inkling as to what is possible with some very simple technology, see screenshots here.) But for this to happen, it is important that we are able to rapidly build on each other’ work, without unnecessary duplication of effort. For this reason open source software and freely available data are important.

Of course, non-community based, closed source software and restricted data are very valuable and useful to end users (eg spokensanskrit.de), but a previous attempt tells me that it can be difficult/ slow to elicit cooperation/ responsiveness.

--
vishvAs

Eddie Hadley

Aug 18, 2011, 6:41:38 PM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Vishvas,

    The sites mentioned are not corporate, they are academic, and quite accessible. Huet’s in particular I have found invaluable when it comes to resolution of saṃdhi, amongst other matters.

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. Though I would suggest that the skills of the knowledgeable ones be more generously employed for the benefit of the community at large, rather than limited to a tiny minority (relatively speaking) of Sanskrit lovers. Voluntary as they may be, such services could  be more widely employed, don’t you think?

The Wiki interface you refer to as an example of what can be done is indeed simple – that’s what interfaces are for. However the technology behind the interface - machine language translation is another matter altogether.

I agree with one of your comments though, re. downloadable version of Huet’s utilities, etc. He demurs on the grounds that it requires a web server, though he remains silent when Apache etc. are mentioned.

Sanskrit to English please, gentlemen!

Eddie

PS
  Sorry about the messy attachments of mine. I have since found a tidier way of attaching files.

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 18, 2011, 8:41:46 PM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
namastE shrI Eddie.

भवतः प्रोत्साहनाय धन्यः अस्मि।

1. Volunteer effort is a labor of love, and many of us here carry deep sentiments, an emotional attachment, about saMskRta. In fact, many of us yearn for the day saMskRta is revived as a spoken language, even as we use it whenever possible in our daily life. That is why contributing to sanskrit tools is a natural outlet. Revival of saMksRta may well benefit society at large in many indirect ways.

2. Academic sites may well be accessible to end users, but closed source and restricted data is just that - their not being able to make money out of this does not change this fact. The selfishness inherent in not freeing useful data and code remains.

3. Machine translation is a very difficult problem. But, many open source software efforts are directed at equally difficult, technically challenging problems (designing new languages, search engines, numerical analysis packages etc..). And it is not like tool-makers cannot learn the simple ideas behind HMM's and read papers. Machine translation will naturally come when much simpler subproblems are conquered.

That is not to say that machine translation is the sole problem out there. Let me in fact throw down a gauntlet to those interested:

Make a wiktionary bot, a sa.wiktionary.org and en.wiktionary.org filler.
  • Purpose: Fill in english-sanskrit and sanksrit-english definitions from various freely available digitized dictionaries.
  • To quote someone: “Wiktionary is a multilingual, web-based, freely available dictionary, thesaurus and phrase book, designed as the lexical companion to Wikipedia. Lately, it has been recognized as a promising lexical semantic resource for natural language processing applications.
  • Subtasks:
    • Parse various dictionaries.
    • Use mediawiki api. Frameworks are available in java, jwktl and python. Better yet, try to get code for one of the bots mentioned here.
Anyone interested in committing regular sincere effort to the above task, please create a mercurial repository for your code in places like bitbucket or google projects and let me know. Otherwise my currently busy self will probably get round to it in due time.

--
savinayaH,
vishvAs

Sai Susarla

Aug 18, 2011, 11:50:00 PM8/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
maamapi bhavataH seveka iti gaNayatu | mamaapi eShaa pragADhecChaa asti, parantu kAryarUpe naanetum shaktaH | yadi neta asti tarhi agre netum shakyate |

parantu, prathama sopaane eva bRihat yojanaa maastu iti mama uddeshaH | shanaiH parvata langhanam | From one small demoable tool to the next eventually becomes a mega-project, naturally.
- Sai.

Eddie Hadley

Aug 19, 2011, 8:40:02 AM8/19/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Vishvas,

  May I offer a gentle perspective on the harnessing of natural human resources to satisfy personal ambitions, especially those of an exclusive, rather than inclusive nature.
In this context, especially, you will surely be aware that harnessing of ones own natural human resources is one thing, while the harnessing of natural human resources to satisfy personal ambitions, is another.
The first goes by the name of Yoga, the latter - Ideology.
And there are certain overtones here - I cannot locate the word in the MW, (doctrine is there, aplenty) but from Webster’s:

ideology, n., pl.
    1. the body of doctrine, myth, belief, etc., that guides an individual, social movement, institution, class, or large group.
    2. such a body of doctrine, myth, etc., with reference to some political and social plan, as that of fascism, along with the devices for putting it into operation.
    3. Philos.
        a. the study of the nature and origin of ideas.
        b. a system that derives ideas exclusively from sensation.
    4. theorizing of a visionary or impractical nature.

The practical world may be far from ideal, but it is much more colourful, and much to be preferred by most to the purely black or white ones.

Eddie

    I’ll make an exception, though, for the all white one, known as cricket, which incidentally does occur in the MW.

No virus found in this message.

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 19, 2011, 1:08:01 PM8/19/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
namaste shrI-Eddie,

Unfortunately I did not comprehend exactly what you are trying to say in the context of the present conversation. In an abstract sense you did put forth and defined some labels, but I couldn't connect it to the current dialogue.

--
vishvAs

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 19, 2011, 3:06:46 PM8/19/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
atyuttamaM, sAyi-varya. bhavataH sUchanA sAdhuH Eva, ahaM a~NgIkarOmi. prathamaM EkaM sulabhataraM kAryaM gRRihNoma (pUrva-vivRRitaM wiktionary kAryaM). EtasmAt wikipedia-api upayOga-kaushalaM api prApnEma, vardhana-yOgyaM bAdhA-rahitaM shabdakOshaM api vyvasthApayiShyAma. AgAmiShu saptAhEShu kadAchit prathama-sOpAnaM gRRihitvA sUchayiShyAmi.

--
vishvAs

Sai Susarla

Aug 19, 2011, 10:48:39 PM8/19/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Eddie,
prAyaH bhavataa tR^itiiya-padam vismR^itam - "sa.nghaTanam", yasya 'personal ambition' asti loka-hitam |
ki.ncha, 'exclusive' / 'inclusive' saapekShamapi bhavitumarhati |
shukla-kR^iShNatva-darshanamapi tathaiva |
taddR^iShTi-bhedaH, na tu sR^iShTi-bhedaH | andhaaya sarvam kR^iShNameva, aatmaanam vihaaya |
- Sai.

On 8/19/2011 6:10 PM, Eddie Hadley wrote:
Vishvas,
�
[...]

Eddie Hadley

Aug 20, 2011, 7:45:29 AM8/20/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sai,

    To answer your question.
Exclusive, is a term that implies to the act of limiting.
As for example, presenting a viewpoint as if it were the only one in existence.
It is deemed especially sinful (impure) of the presenter to do so, while knowing otherwise.

Are there not other viewpoints as to the nature of the world, and its occupants, their lives – not to mention the bits reputed to come before and after it?
As for Black. There are dozens of meanings of the term, White, likewise.

To limit meaning to a single one, is to be exclusive. इत्य् अर्थः (Ity arthaḥ - such is the meaning).

And another thing, the displaying of ones colours when going forth into battle (prāya?) while appropriate on battlefield - It is to prevent nasty blue on blue incidents (the being mistakenly killed by your own side), but the waving of ones flag in the faces of men, in the street, is viewed in yet another way – provocative (also sinful).

As to viewpoints in general, here’s another, individual one:
In reality, there are many versions of ‘the Truth’ as there are small (or big) boys in a bit of trouble.   Iti Eddie.

Sanskrit and English please, but not Romanised Hungarian Sanskrit - that is impure and should be cast out into the wilderness as being not very helpful to the cause of either those in the red corner or the blue corner.

Eddie

Eddie Hadley

Aug 21, 2011, 10:37:02 AM8/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Vishvas,

<== Unfortunately I did not comprehend exactly what you are trying to say . . . ==>

I will spell it out to you (and to any other interested party):

Your appear to be soliciting free software utilities for commendable charitable reasons
- utilities that would attract considerable loyalty payments as licenced apps for mobiles, etc.

    Such information, under the circumstances is a glaring omission from you solicitations.

Simply put, I am suspicious as to your activities, which have been further aroused, having taken a look at the site you are promoting, for free, on this site.
Here are my reasons for being so, perhaps you can allay them?

1.    On the surface, your endeavours are indeed most praiseworthy - that of promoting a Spoken Sanskrit Movement.

As again, on the surface, is your new Website - it gives the appearance being a comprehensive study of the current situation regarding Spoken Sanskrit – a commendable effort.

    However, even a cursory click-around on those links, reveals that a large number do not actually exist, therefore giving a mistaken impression of comprehensiveness.

2. What is most worrying, is the complete omission, of references to the many current, Spoken Sanskrit Movement sites.

    Why? When even a simple Google for ‘Spoken Sanskrit Movement‘ reveals thousands of such references, some having being around for decades - National Radio Broadcasts, even.

3. As an enthusiast for Spoken Sanskrit, you would know that the employment of capital letters for the vowels E and O, as in your message transliterations – are not the familiar guides to pronunciation.

To me, things do not compute.

You see, I have difficulty in matching your words with deeds - I would have thought that a man of such enthusiasm for the ‘Spoken Sanskrit Movement’ would be best expressing it by making direct contributions to the active movements, or at least, if short of time, by contributing words of encouragement directly to those actively doing so.

My inner organ (manas), which does occasionally get switched on, sees much taking, but no contributing.
Perhaps, you can allay my suspicions that you may simply be soliciting development of free software utilities onto your hard disks – for that’s how it looks to me.
Some people are aware that the loyalties paid to licenced apps for mobiles can be considerable.

Eddie

Systems Analyst/Programmer, semi-retired.

Acting Information Services Manager (twice),
King Khalid International Airport, Riyadh.

Naresh Cuntoor

Aug 21, 2011, 7:18:57 PM8/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
[Moderator's note]

Your appear to be soliciting free software utilities for commendable charitable reasons
- utilities that would attract considerable loyalty payments as licenced apps for mobiles, etc.

I suspect Eddie H.'s email will generate some heat. I request all engaged in this discussion to please keep the discussion civil.

Thanks,

Naresh

vishvAs vAsuki

Aug 21, 2011, 10:46:55 PM8/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Kind Sir, I have nothing to say to you (excepting this paragraph, of course), and I am not interested in allaying 'your' fears, or in defending my use of a variation of ITRANS to accomodate dravidian hrasva e and o, or in proving my 'status' and probity as a servant of the dharma. If anything, I only request you to cease contributing responses to my postings; I certainly intend to do the same.

--
hariH OM.
vishvAs

Vasu Srinivasan

Aug 21, 2011, 11:37:52 PM8/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Eddie-varya

Forum मान्यत्वम् अधिकृत्य, अधिकम् वक्तुम् न इच्छामि । विश्वासः मम सुहृदयः, तम् अहम् सम्यक् जानामि । यदपि भवता उक्तम् तत्र सत्यम् किमपि नास्ति । भवतः सन्देहाः अनर्थाः ।

वक्तुमेकमेवात्र निर्दिश्यते - अज्ञातम् अनवगतम् च न विमर्शयेत् ।

Regards,
Vasu Srinivasan
-----------------------------------
vagartham.blogspot.com
vasya10.wordpress.com

Eddie Hadley

Aug 22, 2011, 9:16:36 AM8/22/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Vishva and All,

These issues, do most certainly invade on personal privacy – of all private persons in the big wide world.

The E and the O, are not ITRANS transliteration, by the way, they are IAST transliterations.

    But that is a minor issue . . .

Enabling Java, or any kind of scripting leaves a site wide open to malicious scripts. These are exactly what the Botnet spammers love to find.

Eddie.

    As it happens, I speak from experience regarding ITRANS, as I was a beta tester for Omkarananda’s final 2003 version of ITRANS.

I wasn’t a volunteer, they volunteered me – my reward for earlier being a nuisance with my request for Unicode support, I suppose.

Incidentally, ITRANS is no longer actively unsupported - as modern operating having Devanāgarī Unicode support built in, but it is still an extremely useful utility.

ken p

Oct 9, 2015, 11:16:08 AM10/9/15
to samskrita
 "For example, I dream of a day when I will be able to read any English webpage in Sanskrit."

Visvas,

You mean to say this way ?
or
in a form of translation in Sanskrit?

A phonetic (phonemic) alphabet is the only competent alphabet in the world. It can spell and correctly pronounce any word in our language. -Mark Twain

ə fəˈnetɪk (fəˈniːmɪk) ˈælfəˌbet ɪz ðiː ˈoʊnliː ˈkɑmpətənt ˈælfəˌbet ˈɪn ðə ˈwərld. ˈɪt kən ˈspel ənd kəˈrekliː prəˈnæʊns ˈeniː ˈwərd ˈɪn ɑr ˈlæŋgwɪdʒ. -ˈmɑrk ˈtweɪn....IPA

a̩ fa̩netik (fa̩nīmik) ălfa̩bet iz dhī onlī kāmpa̩ta̩nt ălfa̩bet in dha̩ va̩rld. it ka̩n spel a̩nd ka̩rektlī pra̩năuns enī wa̩rd in ār lăngvij. - Mārk Twein......Guj
a̩lish

અ ફનેટિક્ (ફનીમિક્) ઍલ્ફબેટ્ ઇઝ્ ધી ઓન્લી કામ્પટન્ટ્ ઍલ્ફબેટ્ ઇન્ ધ વર્લ્ડ્. ઇટ્ કન્ સ્પેલ્ અન્ડ્  કરેક્ટલી  પ્રનૅઉન્સ્ એની વર્ડ્ ઇન્ આર્ લૅન્ગ્વિજ્. -માર્ક્ ટ્વેઇન્

अ फनेटिक् (फनीमिक्) ऍल्फबेट् इझ् धी ओन्ली काम्पटन्ट् ऍल्फबेट् इन् ध वर्ल्ड्. इट् कन् स्पेल् अन्ड्  करेक्टली  प्रनॅउन्स् एनी वर्ड् इन् आर् लॅन्ग्विज्. -मार्क् ट्वेइन्

विश्वासो वासुकिजः

Nov 24, 2015, 11:14:24 AM11/24/15
to samskrita

शुक्रवार, 9 अक्टूबर 2015 को 8:16:08 पूर्व UTC-7 को, ken p ने लिखा:
 "For example, I dream of a day when I will be able to read any English webpage in Sanskrit."

Visvas,

You mean to say this way ?
or
in a form of translation in Sanskrit?
I meant translation. Not merely reading in devanAgarI.