what is the meaning of प्रत्येकं

Samba

Mar 13, 2012, 3:28:17 PM3/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Having been a thelugu speaker, I was of the opinion that the word  प्रत्येकं (sorry, did not have a transliterator for samskrutham at hand) meant 'special'.

However, today I came to know that it is used in Hindi/Marathi to mean 'repeatedly', which makes sense since the word is a combination of "प्रति"  and "एकं".

Now my question is if the other meaning which is extant in thelugu about "special" is also one of the accepted meanings of this word or are thelugu people using it in a wrong sense?
I'm asking this question out curiosity to know the correct usage and correct myself.

Thanks and Regards,
Samba

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 13, 2012, 10:47:57 PM3/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Why don't you consider it as a Telugu word borrowed from Sanskrit with change in meaning, which is in common to other Indian languages even in those other than Telugu? So far as the language Telugu is concerned, it is the correct usage. Why to tally with Sanskrit? I don't think it is a nice way of learning a language.

ekam ekam prati - pratyekam - is an adverb used in Sanskrit language, and could not be used as such in any other language other than Sanskrit. It is a avyayIbhAva compound, which is formed according Paninian rules for compound formation which cannot govern Telugu language as such.

These are the meanings available for Sanskrit usage of the word:

pratyeka:
  • each one (Monier-Williams, Sir M. (1988))
  • each single one (Monier-Williams, Sir M. (1988))
  • every one (Monier-Williams, Sir M. (1988))

The above compound can be again compounded with any other word if necessity arises in other languages. Panini doesn't object to such usages as the usages are beyond the scope of his grammar.

 -
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,
Ecole française d'Extrême-OrientCentre de Pondichéry
16 & 19, Rue Dumas
Pondichéry - 605 001

Nityanand Misra

Mar 14, 2012, 8:58:01 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com
To the best of my knowledge, pratyekam or pratyeka in Hindi does not mean "repeatedly". It means "every" or "per".

Sent from my iPhone

Subrahmanian R

Mar 14, 2012, 1:15:56 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

With due respect to Monier Williams and other lexicographer scholars, the meaning of the word एक is not limited to 'one'. It can, depending on the context, mean 'THE only', 'special' or 'especially'.

अनायकैक नायकम् The only leader or the Special Leader, who is not led by anyone . .

लोकैक दीपांकुराम् - The only or special lamp lighting the entire world.

त्रिभुवनैकसुन्दरीम् - The only or special beauty in the entire three worlds.

In these contexts, if एक is taken as one, it connotes 'also ran'.

As an extension, प्रत्येकम् could be taken to mean especial, for a particular purpose [ad hoc] or a particular person. Not only in Andhra, it is used in this sense in Kerala, particularly in Palghat.

With reverence

R Subrahmanian

Naresh Cuntoor

Mar 14, 2012, 1:55:38 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
To add to Subrahmanian ji's post -

eke mukhya-anya-kevalaaH (amara)

Naresh
vaak.wordpress.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 14, 2012, 2:46:05 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Subrahmanian R <subrah...@gmail.com> wrote:

With due respect to Monier Williams and other lexicographer scholars, the meaning of the word एक is not limited to 'one'. It can, depending on the context, mean 'THE only', 'special' or 'especially'.

अनायकैक नायकम् The only leader or the Special Leader, who is not led by anyone . .

लोकैक दीपांकुराम् - The only or special lamp lighting the entire world.

त्रिभुवनैकसुन्दरीम् - The only or special beauty in the entire three worlds.

In these contexts, if एक is taken as one, it connotes 'also ran'.

As an extension, प्रत्येकम् could be taken to mean especial, for a particular purpose [ad hoc] or a particular person. Not only in Andhra, it is used in this sense in Kerala, particularly in Palghat.

With reverence

R Subrahmanian

In all the examples cited in Sanskrit above, it "eka" gives only "mukhya" or "kevala" as per the Amara lexicon cited by Sri Naresh, which can mean  the single standing alone which itself gives the meaning outstanding in any group. And this doesn't need the compound प्रत्येक as a compound to get the meaning special as explained as "kevala".

Samba

Mar 14, 2012, 2:10:13 PM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot to Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat , Subrahmanian, and Nityananda Mishra for such clearcut and detailed explanation.

I was blindly thinking that ' प्रत्येकम्` means 'special' alone which in fact is itself a special case and the normal meaning of the word is 'every' or for each [contextual].

And thanks to Dr. Bhat for enlightening me that the root words may get derivative meanings in other languages which many not be related to the actual meaning in the root language.