Photo of Mahamahopadhyaya Dr. T. Ganapati Sastri

Dr. T. Mahendar

Jul 23, 2012, 1:28:47 AM7/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Respected scholars ! Namaste.
Pl. find here attached image of Mahamahopadhyaya Dr. T. Ganapati Sastri , best known for his discovery of the lost plays of Bhasa.
for more details pl follow the link  http://thatandthisinmumbai.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/a-sepia-toned-history-of-my-family/

--
Dr. T. Mahendar,
          Asst. Professor

shankara

Jul 23, 2012, 8:14:16 AM7/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr Mahendrji,

Thanks a lot for posting the link to the blog and also for the photograph of Ganapati Sastri.

regards
shankara

Jul 23, 2012, 11:30:33 AM7/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear Group,

I do not recollect where I got the enclosed picture of of Bapu (नृसिंह) Dev Shastri.  He was a well-known scholar and teacher of the Indian system of ग्रहगणित and taught it and other related subjects from the year 1841 to 1889 at the Sanskrit College at VaraNasI.  The well-known book in Marathi published in 1896, called 'भारतीय ज्योति:शास्त्र' by S.B.Ketkar has a brief biographical note on him.  According to it, he was born in 1821 in the town of Toke (टोके) on the GodavarI river in Dist Ahmednagar.  Recognizing his expertise in ग्रहगणित and Hindu Mathematics, Mr. Wilkinson, the Political Agent at Sehore, Bhopal, had him appointed as a teacher in the Sanskrit College, where he worked all his life.  Later he became an Honorary Member of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and the Asiatic Society of Bengal and Fellow of the Calcutta and Allahabad Universities.

Some more information about him is available at p.453 in the book ’The Modern History of the Indian Chiefs, Rajas, Zamindars’, available in books.google.com at http://tinyurl.com/d9q966s

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, July 22, 2012.

Bapudev Shastri.JPG

Naren Chennai

Jul 25, 2012, 10:11:57 AM7/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There are many such old pundit's pictures in the following site.

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex/apac/photocoll/p/019pho001000s46u04709000.html