Rhymes for children in Sanskrit

SriKanth!

May 21, 2012, 1:08:01 PM5/21/12
to samskrita
sabhAyai nama:

I am wondering if there is any web page having a collection of rhymes
in Sanskrit for children.

I have put in some here:

http://www.sangatham.com/simple-sanskrit/sanskrit-rhymes/aksharamala
http://www.sangatham.com/simple-sanskrit/sanskrit-rhymes/rajiv-unusual-dream
http://www.sangatham.com/simple-sanskrit/sanskrit-rhymes/lets-fly-in-airplane
http://www.sangatham.com/simple-sanskrit/sanskrit-rhymes/lalana-geetam

I am sure there must be many more but not easily available in
internet.

I thought of posting this query in the Amarchitra katha thread, but
did not want to sidetrack there hence separate email.

dhanyavada
Srikanth.

Vidya R

May 21, 2012, 3:19:39 PM5/21/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Sunder Hattangadi

May 21, 2012, 10:06:20 PM5/21/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There are some simple ones in
Sanskrit and Surabharati sections in Sri Aurobindo Ashram
http://sriaurobindoashram.com (See The Ashram/Departments/Sanskrit department )

See the links and listing at
http://sanskritdocuments.org/sanskritgeet.html

Regards,

sunder

May 22, 2012, 2:08:15 AM5/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This is the same without spelling mistake.

का त्वं बाले ? कांचनमाला,
कस्या: पुत्री ? कनकलताया: /
हस्ते किंते  ? ताळीपत्रम्,
का वा रेखा ? क ख ग घ  //

-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

May 22, 2012, 2:09:47 AM5/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for providing correct version and sorry for my inadvertent posting copied from the net without correction.

Ajit Gargeshwari

May 22, 2012, 12:52:29 AM5/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

murthy

May 22, 2012, 2:06:10 AM5/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Vidyaji,
I went to your website. Very nice.Congrats,
Regards
Murthy
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to samskrita+...@googlegroups.com.

Nityanand Misra

May 23, 2012, 4:30:19 AM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, sams...@googlegroups.com
Uh oh, not quite, this still has mistakes.

का त्वं बाले ? कांचनमाला,

कस्या: पुत्री ? कनकलताया: /

हस्ते किंते  ? ताळीपत्रम्,

का वा रेखा ? क ख ग घ  //

कांचन is wrong as there is no anusvaara (not even optional) here due to sandhi or upasarga. ताळीपत्रम् is wrong as this is no recession of Rigveda, and there is no viraama so anusvaara or nasal guttural will ensue. किंते are two different words and need to be separated by space as is the convention in remaining verse.

Here is the correct spelling without the foreign punctuation marks:

का त्वं बाले काञ्चनमाला

कस्याः पुत्री कनकलतायाः ।

हस्ते किं ते तालीपत्रं

का वा रेखा क ख ग घ ॥

Sent from my iPhone

satyajit Borwankar

May 23, 2012, 12:16:21 PM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Charming ones indeed.

Thanks  for sharing.

I have sent to a friend who teaches sanskrit

Satyajit

Srikanth.

Vinodh Rajan

May 23, 2012, 2:15:47 PM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
 ताळीपत्रम् is wrong as this is no recession of Rigveda,

I don't see anything wrong in the usage of the Retroflex l.

Retroflex ळ is quite common in South Indian Sanskrit. In fact,  is included in the Sanskrit Varnamala of Grantha Script.

Nityanand Misra

May 23, 2012, 6:21:53 PM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Apologies, but there is nothing called South Indian Samskrita and North/East/West Indian Samskrita, it's only Paninian Samskrita. Samskrita does not have dialects, Prakrits do. Classical Samskrita and Paninian grammar do not have the retroflex ळ neither do the standard dictionaries. We have had several threads on this in the past on this group which discussed how this consonant is present only in some Rigvedic प्रातिशाख्यs and absent from other Vedic literature and also from classical Samskrita.
Nityānanda Miśra
Member, Advisory Council, Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University
Chitrakoot, Uttar Pradesh, India
http://nmisra.googlepages.com
http://jagadgururambhadracharya.org/jrhu/donate

|| आत्मा तत्त्वमसि श्वेतकेतो ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That Ātman, O Śvetaketu)
     - Ṛṣi Uddālaka to his son, Chāndogyopaniṣad 6.8.7, The Sāma Veda

P.K.Ramakrishnan

May 23, 2012, 10:48:37 PM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I have heard that the first mantra of rigveda can be pronounced in two ways -

१. अग्निमीडे पुरोहितम्
२. अग्निमीळे पुरोहितम्

What about Kalidasa?

Though it is written कालिदास it is pronounced as काळिदास

There is a place in Calcutta (Kolkatta)
called Kalighat where there is temple for
Kali. It is pronounced by everyone including
Bengalees as काळिघट्ट. It is not in South India.

I have heard long ago ड ळ योरभेद: /

Bengalees always pronounce व as ब.

-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

May 24, 2012, 1:02:36 AM5/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Nityanand Misra <nmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Apologies, but there is nothing called South Indian Samskrita and North/East/West Indian Samskrita, it's only Paninian Samskrita. Samskrita does not have dialects, Prakrits do. Classical Samskrita and Paninian grammar do not have the

But the grammarian triad do recognize regional differences with qualifiers such as "praAchyAm" etc.
So indeed - you do have regional variations of certain aspects of Samskritam, besides the Vaidika - Laukika distinction.

That said, yes ळ of Vedic Samskritam changed over time, and the so-called classical Samskritam does not have it.

Naresh

Vinodh Rajan

May 24, 2012, 3:36:16 AM5/24/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
What am I trying to say is:

There is an established convention of the usage of ळ in classical Sanskrit as used in Tamil Nadu. (I presume the same for other parts of South India )

Words like नामावळी are quite common in traditional Sanskrit books printed in Tamil Nadu (using the Grantha Script). Even Sanskrit printed in Tamil Script makes use of the retroflex l.

It may not conform to *strict* Grammatical rules, but that said its a convention that has been in vogue for long. And it cannot be just brushed aside as *improper* Sanskrit.

Ajit Gargeshwari

May 23, 2012, 11:23:51 PM5/23/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This topic has already been discussed please our group archives. The question is not how one pronounces how it should be pronounced. Many English words a pronounced by different non native speakers differently but that doesn't mean it is correct. So when one teaches rhymes to young children it is important to tech them the phonetics as laid down in phonetic books so that that they can accurately learn how to pronounce.
Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

SriKanth!

May 25, 2012, 2:59:48 AM5/25/12
to samskrita
I don't know we could call this as a children's rhyme... but its
mesmarizing when rendered in a speedy manner:

The kanduka stuti of Sri Madhva

अम्बरगंगाचुम्बितपाद: पदतलविदुलितगुरुतरशकट: |
कालियनागक्ष्वेलनिहन्ता सरसिजदलविकसितनयन: ||
कालघनालीकर्बुरकाय: शरशतकलितरिपुशतनिकर: |
सन्ततमस्मान् पातु मुरारि: सततगसमजवखगपतिनिरत: ||

Vasu Srinivasan

May 25, 2012, 5:49:07 PM5/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
>> Many English words a pronounced by different non native speakers differently but that doesn't mean it is correct

English is probably a not useful defence in this context. Which English phonetics (or spelling) is correct? The American, Australian, British? Even if one tries to get the phonetics right, the accent skews the phonetics.

Regards,
Vasu Srinivasan
-----------------------------------
vagartham.blogspot.com
vasya10.wordpress.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Oct 15, 2012, 2:12:13 AM10/15/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:40 AM, Daiva Jnanam <daiva...@gmail.com> wrote:
नमस्ते

पाणिनीय शिक्षासूत्रपाठे वर्णस्त्रिषष्टिरित्याख्यातम् । तेष्वक्षरेषु ळ न गणितम् इत्यपि स्पष्टम् । परन्तु तस्माद् अग्रिमसूत्रे चतुष्षष्टिरित्येकयिति वर्णितम् । एकाधिकता ळकारेन स्फुरतीति भाव्यते यद्यपि पाणिनिना साक्षादेवं नोक्तम् ।

Please cut out irrelevant string of messages, and retain only what you are replying as I have done so that one need not go back to the original message throughout the string to know to which you are replying.

In this respect, please Nityananda's post, where it is clearly mentioned it relates to Rgvedic practice as governed by प्रातिशाख्य-s for the change of ड and ढ in specified sequences as he has explained. This is not either explained in पाणिनीयशिक्षा or in any of his rules in the whole of his अष्टाध्यायी. But he has given the original consonants in the चतुर्दशसूत्री and hence not considered this as an independent syllable.

‘अज्मध्यस्थडकारस्य ळकारं बह्वृचा विदुः’ इति वचनात् ऋग्वेदे नियमः । ळ्हकारश्च ढकारार्थे । यथा – मीळहुषे, ताळ्हि इत्यादि ।

तैत्तिरीये च षड्विंशतिसूत्रनावकलक्षणग्रन्थे – ‘हेमेपूर्वे सहप्रश्ने पितृमेधाम्भसो ननि(ः)(नी) ।। प्राकृतः (स्वर)पदमध्यस्थो डकारो ळत्वमाप्नुयात् ।।‘तैत्तिरीयप्रातिशाख्यानुसारेण ‘..पृथक् स्वरात् परो ळो डम् पौष्करसादेः ..’ ।

The above is the relevant extract from प्रातिशाख्य. It is different from retroflex form of ल - natuarally available and some specific borrowed words from Sanskrit with dental ल changed  into ळ Dravidian languages as in नलिनी > नळिनी etc. in certain languages.

With regards