What's khale kapota-nyaya?

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 18, 2011, 3:00:59 AM12/18/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hey, all,

I came across this nyaya while reading about how lakaras devolve onto dhatus... the sentence was 'lah karmaNi cha bhAve chAkarmakEbhyah iti, kartari khale kapOtanyAyena dashApi lakArAh prAptAh...'

Please shed some light on this nyaya.

Regards,

Aditya.

Anunad Singh

Dec 20, 2011, 4:27:48 AM12/20/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
description of some of the nyaayaa's id given in appendix of Apte's
Sanskrit Dictionary. You may also refer to -

संस्कृत न्याय
http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%A4%B8%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%B8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%95%E0%A5%83%E0%A4%A4_%E0%A4%A8%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%AF%E0%A4%BE%E0%A4%AF

2011/12/18, Aditya B.S.A <amrd...@gmail.com>:

> Hey, all,
>
> I came across this nyaya while reading about how lakaras devolve onto

> dhatus... the sentence was *'lah karmaNi cha bhAve chAkarmakEbhyah iti,
> kartari khale kapOtanyAyena dashApi lakArAh prAptAh...'*

> Please shed some light on this nyaya.
>
> Regards,
>
> Aditya.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Dec 20, 2011, 9:06:12 AM12/20/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 21, 2011, 1:53:21 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, thanks for the link :) It cleared up my doubt.

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 29, 2011, 6:34:38 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Here is the explanation in Nyayavali in English:

image.png

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

image.png

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 29, 2011, 7:16:12 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for the excerpt. Very useful.

image.png

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 29, 2011, 9:11:56 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com

The maxim of the barn of corn and the pigeons.

As all kinds of pigeons, young and old, go flying into a barn and help themselves to the corn therein to their hearts' content, so this maxim is used to denote that all kinds of men repair to a great man's place to fulfil theiown ends.

This is used to denote the simultaneous syntactic relation in a sentence with all the words to give the sentence meaning as a whole according to Nyaya system of verbal cognition.

वृद्धा युवानः शिशवः कपोताः खले यथामी युगपत् पतन्ति।
तथैव सर्वे युगपत् पदार्थाः परस्परेणान्वयिनो भवन्ति।।

Quoted in Bhashapariccheda of Vishvanatha Nyayapancanana Bhattaacharya in his commentary as alternative opinion.

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Dec 29, 2011, 9:05:04 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this explanation. From where one can get this nyAyAvalI ?

image.png

shankara

Dec 29, 2011, 9:20:15 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Lalitalalitaji,

regards
shankara

Dec 29, 2011, 10:00:45 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
One more collection of different sources explaining the same Nyaya in different contexts:

No. 135
khale kapotanyAyaH |
The simile of pigeons alighting on a threshing-floor. Used by writers on Ala~NkAra to illus
trate the production of a certain effect by the simultaneous action of numerous causes. In SA
hityadarpaNa (739) we read:
"Samuccayo.ayam ekasmin sati kAryasya sAdhake. Samuccayo.ayam ekasmin sati kAryasya sAdhake.
Khale kapotikAnyAyAt tatkaraH |syAt paro.api cet. Khale kapotikAnyAyAt tatkaraH |syAt paro.api cet."
"The conjunction is when notwithstanding the existence of one cause sufficient to bring a
bout an effect, there are represented others producing the same, according to the maxim of t
he Threshing-floor and the pigeons". See this, also, very concisely put, in Ala~NkArasarvasva
, page 161, and in KuvalayAnanda, p. 240. There is further reference to this nyAya in Malli
nAtha on MAgha x. 16, and in NyAyamAlAvistara 11. 1. 3.
Ed. note Ed. note: Jacob has given a very narrow interpretation of this nyAya. RagunAtha VarmA
does not bring Ala~NkArashAstra Ala~NkArashAstra at all. MImAMsakas use it extensively for the way words
and their meenings appear and get coalesced--AbhihitAnvayavAda vs. AnvitAbhid AbhihitAnvayavAda vs. AnvitAbhid
hAnavAda hAnavAda. And, by the way, Edgerton discusses this subject and the nyAya in his edition o
f the MImAMsAnyAyaprakAsha. Strangely enough, he could not get the original source of VR^id VR^id
dhA yuvAnaH |dhA yuvAnaH |even from his pandit in Poona. As far as we can see Jacob has overlooked
this aspect.
Also Jacob is not consistent in putting the diacritical marks. Maybe the editorial work was d
one by someone else, an incompetent, inefficient, mercinary. Or, the printing was done in I
ndia, while the Colonel was away slumbering in his arm chair at home.

No.135 of 485 Nyaya-s explained in "Laukikanyanjali" :

Needs some more correction for diacritical marks encoding. Otherwise very fine explanations by Jacob are fine and annotated comprehensively by the editors as can be seen in the above extract. The encodings for Sanskrit are in iTrans and difficult to read.

Here is the link for Nyayavali. Sankar has the same in his site of ebooks.

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 29, 2011, 10:16:57 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
वृद्धा युवानः शिशवः कपोताः खले यथामी युगपत् पतन्ति।
तथैव सर्वे युगपत् पदार्थाः परस्परेणान्वयिनो भवन्ति।।

Quoted in Bhashapariccheda of Vishvanatha Nyayapancanana Bhattaacharya in his commentary as alternative opinion. The English translation for the portion of Bhashapariccheda:

image.png

image.png

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Dec 29, 2011, 10:40:22 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 29, 2011, 10:41:56 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I take it to mean this:

Of a group of objects, when one is invoked as a causal factor in a relationship, all grouped objects are vested with the causality, insofar as the common attribute that necessitated the grouping is no different from the causal factor.

image.png

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Dec 29, 2011, 10:43:32 AM12/29/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 20:30, Hnbhat B.R. <hnbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
No.135 of 485 Nyaya-s explained in "Laukikanyanjali" :

Needs some more correction for diacritical marks encoding. Otherwise very fine explanations by Jacob are fine and annotated comprehensively by the editors as can be seen in the above extract. The encodings for Sanskrit are in iTrans and difficult to read.

Here is the link for Nyayavali. Sankar has the same in his site of ebooks.

Thank you, shrI bhat, for links you provided.
I saw both books and saved.
Is there any way to search other books available on philosophy.ru site?