On searching for the soul.

1 view

Eddie Hadley

Apr 9, 2012, 6:45:28 AM4/9/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
All,
Can I appeal to the knowledgeable ones to apply a little Confucian wisdom please, in their haste to enlighten us members.

As someone with an interest in the cognitive sciences, I sometimes follow up the references, as given . . .
. . . but not too hopefully, as many of these things are lost to the mists of time.

explanations:

The explns of Commentators are mostly of an edifying nature and based more on popular etymology than on natural psychological grounds. iti.

But while there’s life there’s hope, and the search goes on, hindrances not withstanding:

sampajañña

After trying many wasteful varieties of Google search strings I happened to stumble upon the correct source reference, which was finally, actually useful.
It is actually to be found at:
From
BUDDHIST DICTIONARY
Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, by NYANATILOKA
Fourth Revised Edition, edited by Nyanaponika
Buddhist Publication Society
P. O. Box 61
54, Sangharaja Mawatha
Kandy, Sri Lanka
NOT

Source Pali-English Dictionary, TW Rhys Davids, William Stede, !

sampajañña: 'clarity of consciousness', clear comprehension. This term is frequently met with in combination with mindfulness (sati). In D. 22, M. 10 it is said: "Clearly conscious is he in going and coming, clearly conscious in looking forward and backward, clearly conscious in bending and stretching his body; clearly conscious in eating, drinking, chewing and tasting, clearly conscious in discharging excrement and urine; clearly conscious in walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep and awakening; clearly conscious in speaking and keeping silent." - For a definition of the term sati-sampajañña, s. Pug. 86.

Eddie

The Ancient one:
For I am the teacher, even of the ancients. iti
Eddie (the not, all that ancient one):
    Yes, but you are never around when I need you!