Satyam Bhruyat

Rajagopalan Ayilam

Jan 17, 2012, 11:50:40 PM1/17/12
to samskrita
Dear all,

Could anyone tell me about the source of the saying " Satyam Bhruyat,
Priyam Bhruyat na bruyat satyamapriyam" . Also the what is the essence
of the second part " na bruyat satyamapriyam"

Regards

Rajgopalan

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 18, 2012, 8:21:47 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Manusmṛti  4, 138.

satyaṃ brūyāt priyaṃ brūyān na brūyāt satyam apriyam / (138.1)
priyaṃ ca nānṛtaṃ brūyād eṣa dharmaḥ sanātanaḥ // (138.2)

सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयान् न ब्रूयात् सत्यम् अप्रियम् / (१३८.१)
प्रियं च नानृतं ब्रूयाद् एष धर्मः सनातनः // (१३८.२)

The above is the source of the quotation.

It lays two ways restriction, never tell an unpleasant truth and also never tell a lie for pleasing others.  Otherwise, always speak the truth and always speak pleasing words.

That is very hard acid test to follow to tell only pleasing truth, in that truth always need not be a pleasant one.

अनुद्वेगकरं वाक्यं सत्यं प्रियहितं च यत् । स्वाध्यायाभ्यसनं चैव वाङमयं तप उच्यते ॥ ।(१७.१५)

and hence considered as the वाङ्मयं तपः in भगवद्गीता।

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

murthy

Jan 18, 2012, 10:06:46 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I am tempted to quote the famous sloka of Valmiki in this context:
सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन् सततं प्रियवादिनः ।
अप्रियस्य च पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः ॥
Regards
Murthy

Narendra Sakhalkar

Jan 18, 2012, 10:20:49 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends, Namaskar.
Subhashitas are NOT universal truths and they are bound to be
dependent on the context. This is why, the famous aphorism,"Naiko
muniryasya wachah pramanam.....Mahajano yen gataha sa panthaha" Even
Bhagawadgeeta admits, "kim karma kimakarmeti kawrayopyatra
mohitahaha.[4.16]. So?
Ram,Ram.
Narendra Sakhalkar

On 1/18/12, Hnbhat B.R. <hnbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Rajagopalan Ayilam
> <ayil...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Could anyone tell me about the source of the saying " Satyam Bhruyat,
>> Priyam Bhruyat na bruyat satyamapriyam" . Also the what is the essence
>> of the second part " na bruyat satyamapriyam"
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Rajgopalan
>>

> Manusmṛti 4, 138.
>

> satyaṃ brūyāt priyaṃ brūyān na brūyāt satyam apriyam / (138.1)
> priyaṃ ca nānṛtaṃ brūyād eṣa dharmaḥ sanātanaḥ // (138.2)
>

> सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयान् न ब्रूयात् सत्यम् अप्रियम् / (१३८.१)
> प्रियं च नानृतं ब्रूयाद् एष धर्मः सनातनः // (१३८.२)
>
> The above is the source of the quotation.
>
> It lays two ways restriction, never tell an unpleasant truth and also never
> tell a lie for pleasing others. Otherwise, always speak the truth and
> always speak pleasing words.
>
> That is very hard acid test to follow to tell only pleasing truth, in that
> truth always need not be a pleasant one.
>

> अनुद्वेगकरं वाक्यं *सत्यं प्रियहितं च* यत् । स्वाध्यायाभ्यसनं चैव वाङमयं तप

> उच्यते ॥ ।(१७.१५)
>
> and hence considered as the वाङ्मयं तपः in भगवद्गीता।
>

> --

> *Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
> **Research Scholar,
> *

> Ecole française d'Extrême-OrientCentre de Pondichéry
> 16 & 19, Rue Dumas
> Pondichéry - 605 001

Chandra Sekhar

Jan 18, 2012, 11:18:07 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Excellent Question,
सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयान् न ब्रूयात् सत्यम् अप्रियम् / (१३८.१)
प्रियं च नानृतं ब्रूयाद् एष धर्मः सनातनः // (१३८.२)
Speak the truth, never speak the truth that is unpleasant,
Speak pleasant that is not untruth, this upholds eternally.

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 18, 2012, 11:38:15 AM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 8:36 PM, murthy <murt...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am tempted to quote the famous sloka of Valmiki in this context:
सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन् सततं प्रियवादिनः ।
अप्रियस्य च पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः ॥
Regards
Murthy

Rām, Ār, 35, 2.
sulabhāḥ puruṣā rājan satataṃ priyavādinaḥ /
apriyasya ca pathyasya vaktā śrotā ca durlabhaḥ //

The same verse is found in Viduraniti also:

श्रीमहाभारते उद्योगपर्वणि प्रजागरपर्वणि विदुरहितवाक्ये  अध्यायः ३७

सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन्सततं प्रियवादिनः .
अप्रियस्य तु पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः .. १४..

as given in Sanskrit document.

Sadagopan V

Jan 18, 2012, 8:15:10 PM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namo namah
I listened once to a scholar saying that  "na bruuyaat satyamapriyam" could mean as follows. Sometimes the truth may be bitter. On such cases,  just because what you say is the truth, even then you cannot be harsh in the way you put it across. The truth also should also be put forth in a pleasant way only.

-- Sadagopan V

Vimala Sarma

Jan 18, 2012, 10:59:07 PM1/18/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

This thread was dealt with previously in conrxt of sanAtana

Vimala

Jan 19, 2012, 5:42:53 AM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The vese occurs in Valmiki at two places.
Regards
Murthy
Jan 19, 2012, 2:44:45 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaskara to all.

This sounds like a very wise interpretation.  I am a psychiatrist and I have often needed to help patients, for the sake of their own welfare,  to accept things they would rather run away from!  Sometimes I have to be the “bad guy” in order to spare that person or others greater suffering in the future.

Physicians and police officers also may have the duty to communicate that a loved one is seriously ill or has died.  How this is done makes so much difference.  Fortunately, most police officers and physicians are now receiving guidance and training on how to communicate better in these circumstances.

Cynthia M. Churchill, M.D.
-----------------------------
Mindflow Learning Systems, Inc.

websites: http://learn-sanskrit.com/
               http://chant-sanskrit.com/

-----------------------------

From: Sadagopan V <sadag...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 06:45:10 +0530
To: <sams...@googlegroups.com>

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jan 19, 2012, 5:14:44 PM1/19/12
to samskrita
As often happens with subhaaShitaas, once a particular subhaaShita
gains wide popularity, other crafters start working on it and soon a
plethora of similar-sounding subhaaShitaas comes into being, often
making it difficult to tell which is the original and which an
imitation.

In this manner I know another 'version' of the above-mentioned famous

verse from ManusmRiti. It says:

सत्यं ब्रूयात् प्रियं ब्रूयान् न ब्रूयात् सत्यम् अप्रियम् |

सत्यमप्यप्रियं ब्रूयाद्यस्य नेच्छेत्पराजयम् ॥

This verse thus carves out a special area where speaking an unpleasant
truth is recommended.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, January 19, 2012.