बन्ध्

Rajagopalan Ayilam

Feb 12, 2012, 12:03:51 AM2/12/12
to samskrita
Dear All,

I have a small doubt, regarding the verbal root "बन्ध् - meaning to
bind or tie". When तुमुन् is added to it will it become बन्धुम् or
बद्धुम्. This root is in both 9th Gana as well as 10th gana.

Regards

--
A.S.Rajagopalan

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 12, 2012, 11:41:23 AM2/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There are 4 धातु-s having similar form and meaning, not only two.

बध बध् बन्धने1 भ्वादि691 271-272
बध बध् संयमने10 चुरादि14 540
बन्ध बन्ध् बन्धने9 क्र्यादि41 529
बन्ध बन्ध् संयमने10 चुरादि14 540 पा°

The root in question is क्र्यादि -  बन्ध् + तुम् - बन्द्धुम्  should be correct form. The one from चुरादि should be बन्धयितुम्।

Hope this satisfies the question.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Sita Raama

Feb 12, 2012, 12:08:12 PM2/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Hari,
I was wondering how did you get nice Dhatu table? is it some standard reference or your own work?
I would appreciate your help

Raama

सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन् सततम् प्रिय वादिनः | \\

अप्रियस्य च पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः || Ramayanam || ३-३७-२ ||  & || ६-१६-२१ ||

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 12, 2012, 8:04:51 PM2/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

The root in question is क्र्यादि -  बन्ध् + तुम् - बन्द्धुम्  should be correct form. The one from चुरादि should be बन्धयितुम्।

Here is a pun with the form bandhum =

बन्धुमिच्छति यमेव सज्जनस्तं भवन्तमयि बन्धुमिच्छती ।
सा नियु/ज्य रशनागुणान् बहून् द्व्यङ्गुलोनमखिलं किलैक्षत ॥७॥

बन्धुम्-इच्छति as a relative,(they) desire
यम्-एव सज्जन:- him alone , the good people (virtuous persons - devotees)
तं भवन्तम्-अयि That Thee O Lord!
बन्धुम्-इच्छती to tie desiring
सा नियुज्य she using (tying together)
रशना-गुणान् बहून् pieces of rope, many
द्व्यङ्गुल-ऊनम्- by two fingers (long), short
अखिलं the whole length
किल-ऐक्षत indeed found
All good men want to bind themselves to Thee alone in devotion. That Thou O Lord! Yashodaa desiring to tie, found the length of the rope short by two fingers, even though she attached many pieces of ropes to lengthen it.

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 12, 2012, 8:58:09 PM2/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dr. Hari,
I was wondering how did you get nice Dhatu table? is it some standard reference or your own work?
I would appreciate your help

Raama

I didn't expect this question from you who had endeavored to design a web page for Ramayana yourself.

Anybody can see the hyper links in the pasted portion leads to the pages numbered in the scan page available online which itself gives the details.

If you can go to any page hyper linked in the page numbers, you can see the other pages and more details of the book including a preface which should be able to give more details of the author and the book.

Anyhow, for your information, the book Madhaviya Dhatuvritti  published long long  ago and written by Madhava or the brother Sayana Madhava,  who authored many more works including his comprehensive Commentary on 4 Veda-s during 14th century and who is the founder inspiration for the establishment of कर्णाटकमहासिंहासन.

If you know English or Hindi you can read more about him in this link:

Also you can read in Hindi more about the brothers Sayana and Madhava:

Please try to download and read.

Rajagopalan Ayilam

Feb 12, 2012, 9:52:34 PM2/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dr.Bhat,

Thanks for the reply. My question is answered. Thanks you for
providing additional information also.

Regards

Rajagopalan

> *Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
> **Research Scholar,
> *

> Ecole française d'Extrême-OrientCentre de Pondichéry
> 16 & 19, Rue Dumas
> Pondichéry - 605 001
>

> --

A.S.Rajagopalan

Ajit Gargeshwari

Feb 13, 2012, 5:14:34 AM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Dear Ramma,

'I was wondering how did you get nice Dhatu table? is it some standard reference or your own work?
I would appreciate your help"

I always do a good google search before raising questions. I also click on the links and hyperlinks provided in answers.
A search within threads of this group will provide one with basic resources to learn Sanskrit. A little knowledge of primary texts in Sanskrit or in translations might be useful. Hope this elementary procedure will help.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

Sita Raama

Feb 13, 2012, 5:15:20 AM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr, Hari,
Thanks for sharing a wonderful book, I was not asking about the hyperlink. I was asking about rest of the stuff in your mail.
I wanted to know if you typed dhatus like that or did you use any existing software to do that. sorry if I could not make my question clear.

Raama

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 13, 2012, 10:47:45 AM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dr, Hari,
Thanks for sharing a wonderful book, I was not asking about the hyperlink. I was asking about rest of the stuff in your mail.
I wanted to know if you typed dhatus like that or did you use any existing software to do that. sorry if I could not make my question clear.

Raama

I just copied the Index page in the scanned book in the link with the hyper-links it was copied and I pasted it here.

There is no wonder when you copy a web page with hyper links, it is copied with they hyper links unless you remove the hmtl format while pasting. I have not done anything of my  own.

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 13, 2012, 11:16:42 AM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Hnbhat B.R. <hnbh...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dr, Hari,
Thanks for sharing a wonderful book, I was not asking about the hyperlink. I was asking about rest of the stuff in your mail.
I wanted to know if you typed dhatus like that or did you use any existing software to do that. sorry if I could not make my question clear.

Again it is not clear for me. You asked about the table of Dhatu-s and I gave the information and I pasted it from the scanned book available online.

If you are asking how I typed the rest of my message in Devanagari text, I used Baraha IME for typing the text.

And if your question is related to the rest part of the precise answer to his question is based on the standard Sanskrit grammar of Panini I had learnt and my knowledge of it. It is not culled out from any page on the web and not any verb generator or noun declension tools available online. There are many of them listed in this forum in earlier messages and also software list to type in Devanagari in different messages. IF you search, you also will get it.

Hope now my answer is clear to you.

Venkata Subbaiah Bathula

Feb 13, 2012, 2:29:45 PM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Subbaiah
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः ।

Sita Raama

Feb 13, 2012, 2:53:51 PM2/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Subbaiah
Awesome, thats exactly what I was looking for.
I think people on this forum were so used to this site that my question was totally out of the place for them. Thanks a lot.

Raama