Saṃskṛta is not a 'language'

Eddie Hadley

Jan 19, 2012, 7:18:27 AM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
All,

Strictly speaking Saṃskṛta is not a language.

The definition of language, as provided by one of the great authorities on the subject, Webster’s, is as follows.

    1.    a body of words and the systems for their use common to a people who are of the same community or nation, the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition: the two languages of Belgium; a Bantu language; the French language; the Yiddish language.
    2.    communication by voice in the distinctively human manner, using arbitrary sounds in conventional ways with conventional meanings; speech.
    3.    the system of linguistic signs or symbols considered in the abstract (opposed to speech).
    4.    any set or system of such symbols as used in a more or less uniform fashion by a number of people, who are thus enabled to communicate intelligibly with one another.

By the same convention, we have by way of contrast, jargon.

-  an artificial pattern used by a particular (usually occupational) group within a community . . .

Eddie,

    A jargon speaker of the artificially intelligent computer kind.

Upendra Watwe

Jan 19, 2012, 10:38:08 AM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

Though I have my reservations about Webster's being the universal authority to decide what constitutes a  language and what does not, Let us hypothetically assume the definitions  used by Webster's to decide what is a language.

The letter Y represents cases where samskrita satisfies the definition and N where in my humble opinion, it doesn't.
I welcome comments and criticism from other experts.

    1.    a body of words and (Y) the systems for their use common to a people [Y/N- yes to all scholars- of ANY discipline but not to all 100% of the people of an area] who are of the same community [N- It was not at all necessary for all Samskrita speakers to belong to ONE community ]or nation[N- I would avoid commenting on this as "nation" is a western thought brought about in the 18th to 21st century. Til then all over the world, it was always either geographical association or by people ruled by a king or under an empire.], the same geographical area[Y- the Indiuan Subcontinent from UpagaNastan - through to Kaamroop and down to Sri Lanka - samskrita was spoken], or the same cultural tradition[Y- Yes all belonged to the cultural tradition which is now known as Hindu Traditions]: the two languages of Belgium; a Bantu language; the French language; the Yiddish language.
    2.    communication by voice in the distinctively human manner[Y- All the samskrita speech and texts are distinctively in a human manner ], using arbitrary sounds in conventional ways with conventional meanings[Y- As against the way one letter can represent ANY number of sounds in languages using the roman /cyrillic alphabet..the sounds of each alphabet in samskrita AND also in all prakrit languages are precisely thought of and accurately followed ]; speech[Y- Vedic Samskrita was definitely a language of speech before it became a written language].
    3.    the system of linguistic signs or symbols considered in the abstract (opposed to speech)[N-Though this defjnition of a language isn't acceptable, samskrita language isn't a  language of concepts being represented by sounds/ symbols[hieroglyphics or modern day chinese/japanese korean lanaguegs fall in this category]. Each sound in samkrita has a matching symbol and vice versa. ].
    4.    any set or system of such symbols as used in a more or less uniform fashion [Y- very true- all symbols are used EXACTLY for the same meaning and sound ]by a number of people, who are thus enabled to communicate intelligibly [Y- yes all the communication in samskrita is definitekly intelligible]with one another.

Overall the score stands as  8 Ys against one Y/N and 3 Ns
Awaiting replies from learned folk.
 Upendra Watwe

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः

Jan 19, 2012, 10:57:55 AM1/19/12
to Eddie Hadley, Eddie...@ontology.demon.co.uk, sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः "एड्डी"-महोदय !
अस्ति प्रसिद्धं उद्धरणं "संस्कृतं नाम दैवी वाक्" इति । अथ किम् वाक् इति न कापि भाषा ?
भवता वेब्स्टर्-महाभागं अधिकारित्वं कैः निकषैः प्रदत्तं इति कुतूहलं मम ।
विचाराणां आदान-प्रदानस्य साधनमेव वाक् वा भाषा वा कथ्यते खलु ?
अथ किम् भाषायाः व्याख्या "विचाराणां आदान-प्रदानस्य साधनम्" इति न कर्तव्या ?
अथ किम् वेब्स्टर्-महाभागस्य अधिकारित्वेन एवंविधा व्याख्या अमान्या भवति ?
किमपि दोषः एवंविधायां व्याख्यायाम् ?
अपीत्येव दोषः यत् एवंविधया व्याख्यया संस्कृतं "भाषा" इति कथ्यते ?
सस्नेहम्
अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः ।
"श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।"

संस्कृताध्ययनम् ।
http://slabhyankar.wordpress.com
http://study1geetaa2sanskrit.wordpress.com
उपनिषदध्ययनम् http://upanishat.wordpress.com
http://slez-musings.blogspot.com

Aditya B.S.A

Jan 19, 2012, 11:15:30 AM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
नमो नमः

If one is satisfied with the following definition for their state of being, one might then be satisfied terming Sanskrit 'not a language.' It would be quite understandable then.

2human

 noun
: a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens)

आदित्यः

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jan 19, 2012, 11:28:47 AM1/19/12
to samskrita
Eddie,

I am not comfortable with Condition No 1. 'The same geographical
area' could have relevance in the primitive days when languages were
being created or lost. I believe we have now reached a stage of
stability of the existing set of languages and many of them reach far
beyond their original geographical confines without losing their
'languageness'.

That apart, you have not explained why or how Sanskrit does not stand
this four-fold test. More discussion will be possible after you take
a position.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, January 19, 2012.

Eddie Hadley

Jan 19, 2012, 1:15:15 PM1/19/12
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Arvind & other adversaries,

“That apart, you have not explained why or how Sanskrit does not stand
this four-fold test. More discussion will be possible after you take a position”

I would prefer the more neutral phrase ‘my understanding’ to the more partisan sounding ‘my position’.

That said, I do but document the definitions as received.
The great word book itself, but faithfully records in enumerated fashion, the many and variable usages to which such a word is put,
but did not invent them, itself.

I justify my assertion, thusly:

But first, to intelligibly communicate, we must ensure to use the ‘same set of symbols’.

The symbol X, may indeed be commonly understood, amongst other things, as ‘one that marks the spot’.

However, that still leaves the small matter as to which ‘spot’ the X so marks, for there often be a number of such.

I therefore enumerate four such given symbols, complete with associated spots, duly described.

Such sets of symbols, at least when impartially provided, should be fairly comprehensive.

I justify my assertion, via the use of italics:

I quote the synonyms verbatim:

—Syn. 2. See speech. 4, 9. tongue; terminology; lingo, lingua franca.

LANGUAGE, DIALECT, JARGON, VERNACULAR refer to patterns of vocabulary, syntax, and usage characteristic of communities of various sizes and types.

LANGUAGE is applied to the general pattern of a people or race: the English language.

DIALECT is applied to certain forms or varieties of a language, often those that provincial communities or special groups retain (or develop) even after a standard has been established: Scottish dialect.

A JARGON is either an artificial pattern used by a particular (usually occupational) group within a community or a special pattern created for communication in business or trade between members of the groups speaking different languages: the jargon of the theater; the Chinook jargon.

A VERNACULAR is the authentic natural pattern of speech, now usually on the informal level, used by persons indigenous to a certain community, large or small.

So, by definition Saṃskṛta is not a 'language'!

Hopefully, my italicised items are self-explanatory.

Eddie

धनंजय वैद्य <deejayvaidya@yahoo.com>

Jan 19, 2012, 4:26:17 PM1/19/12
to samskrita
Unfortunately the italics did not come through in the email. I am
sorry that I could not guess where they were, either.

In any case, I do not understand Webster's definition (quoted at the
beginning of the thread) in terms of their exemplars: Yiddish or
French or English.

> 1. a body of words and the systems for their use
> common to a people who are of the same community or nation,
> the same geographical area, or the same cultural tradition:
> the two languages of Belgium; a Bantu language; the French language; the Yiddish language.

In the case of Yiddish, which is the community or nation? Is it the
Jews: But they don't all speak Yiddish. German Jews: Do these even
exist nowadays? Yiddish was spoken more in New York than Germany after
WW2. Is the nation the nation-state of Israel: hardly anyone there
speaks Yiddish. Other than that there never was a nation-state using
Yiddish. Similar questions may be asked regarding French. What of
Francophone African French speakers?

Neither Yiddish nor French is spoken in a contiguous geographical
area. What is this "cultural tradition"? If it is the culture of
speaking Yiddish (or French) that is a circular definition. Other than
that, people speaking Yiddish were from heterogenous cultures, and
much more so with French.

So how come Webster gives Yiddish and French as examples?

From your second email we have the definition and example:
> LANGUAGE is applied to the general pattern of a people or race: the English language.
I am trying to understand the example of English. It is a general
pattern of which people? Of which race? There seem to be many peoples
and races among those who claim to be native English speakers.

I am sorry I do not understand the examplars that Websters give for
their definitions. That leaves me puzzled about how to apply their
definition and check if saMskRta is a language or not.

I have no strong interest in deciding whether saMskRta is a language
or not, until someone tells me what difference it makes. I will
continue to use the same sort of techniques that are used to study
other so-called languages to study and describe saMskRta: i.e.,
phonology, syntax, semantics, literary criticism, etc. If someone
convinces me that my study and understanding can be improved by
studying saMskRta abandoning language-like techniques and using non-
language techniques, I am not too proud to accept their help.

Dhananjay

On Jan 19, 1:15 pm, "Eddie Hadley" <EddieHad...@Ontology.demon.co.uk>

Eddie Hadley

Jan 19, 2012, 3:03:17 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Upendra,

    You have limited your analysis to four different definitions of the one and the same, the one eight letter word - ‘language’.

    How did you manage to ‘prove’ that the one and the same thing, is both a whole thing and 2/3 thing?
    Aristotle who long ago, did demonstrate that Logic, though better than nothing, has its flaws, would be proud of you!

    You must compare and contrast the one, eight letter word with the one with six letters to its name, viz. by way of contrast, jargon.”

    Anyway, acting as both judge and jury is disallowed!
    And the criteria employed must be fully explained and universally acceptable.

    Sensing a need to justify my conclusion is called for, I have now posted the analysis by which I reached my profundity.

    Eddie

Eddie Hadley

Jan 19, 2012, 6:26:30 PM1/19/12
to samskrita, Eddie Hadley
Dhananjay,

I am seeing italics, in both
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/samskrita/
and In my local e-mail - "Windows Live Mail.

I see them also in others postings, such as Upendra's.

have a work-around, but I have a feeling you couldn't care less.

The distinctions lay with the attributes of 'language'.

LANGUAGE "general"
DIALECT "form of"
JARGON "artificial"
VERNACULAR "natural"

As an exercise, one may entertain oneself by positioning "Saṃskṛta" in one
or more, or even none of these places.
Then try Yiddish, French, or what you will . . .

There are those that would have us understand Saṃskṛta is not of this world
at all, but there is no label of the 'super natural' category.
Perhaps we should appraise Webster's of this deficiency.

Personally, I always find it useful to know the nature of the material that
I'm presented with.
If it's fiction, then I can switch of the critical faculty and enjoy.
If it's factual, the reverse is appropriate.

The real amusement comes with every day matters, where to decisions as
whether, to trust or not to trust, have to be based on rather scanty
information.

You can find the understanding of such word as you seek, fully explained in
the self-same lexicon, but there comes a time when one must put down ones
lexicon and gaze in wonder at the real word . . .

Words are ever but ink stains on a page, or a noise in the ears.
Understanding is a function or the inner organ.
The classification is of language itself, and is entirely independent of
particular peoples or races.

In context:

LANGUAGE is applied to the "general pattern" of a people or race: the
English language.

DIALECT is applied to "certain forms" or "varieties of" a language, often
those that provincial communities or special groups retain (or develop) even
after a standard has been established: Scottish dialect.

A JARGON is either an "artificial pattern" used by a particular (usually
occupational) group within a community or a special pattern created for
communication in business or trade between members of the groups speaking
different languages: the jargon of the theater; the Chinook jargon.

A VERNACULAR is the authentic "natural pattern" of speech, now usually on
the informal level, used by persons indigenous to a certain community, large
or small.

I don't even know if I'm supposed to say 'Saṃskṛta', without a doted m, but
while I'm not dotting my m's, there's a beautiful rainbow to be gazed upon
outside of my window.

Eddie

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 19, 2012, 9:14:46 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Anyway I have nothing more to add by way of logic of Aristotle or the definition of language, which seems to be based on its etymology:

Origin of LANGUAGE

Middle English, from Anglo-French langage, from lange, langue tongue, language, from Latin lingua — more attongue
First Known Use: 14th century

There is nothing to show that should be spoken/used at the present time. It can be referring to any system once used by any language community (either extinct or live). Here is the definition of Sanskrit from the same Webster's dictionary which defines Sanskrit as a language (of course saṁskṛta
as an adjective) discussed in the earlier thread)

Definition of SANSKRIT

1
: an ancient Indo-Aryan language that is the classical language of India and of Hinduism
2
: classical Sanskrit together with the older Vedic and various later modifications of classical Sanskrit — see indo-european languages table
— Sanskrit adjective
— San·skrit·ic adjective
— San·skrit·ist noun

Origin of SANSKRIT

Sanskrit saṁskṛta, literally, perfected, from sam together +karoti he makes
First Known Use: 1696

And his reference to First known use should be referring to the word Sanskrit as used by Europeans after the knowledge of saṁskṛta, which should have been much earlier in Indian languages.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jan 19, 2012, 11:15:22 PM1/19/12
to samskrita
Eddie,

I do not want to trivialize what you are trying to convey but it is
going over our - or let me say my - head.

I suspect that deciding whether a particular way of expression is a
language or not should not require so much learned debate. If it does,
it is a sure sign that we are discussing a non-issue.

In such situations why not apply the famous - and usually unfailing -
'duck test'? If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks
like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

(Whether we write the word as ' 'Saṃskṛta' or as 'Sanskrit' or in any
other way is really not the test of its languageness at all. That is
a spin-off of the irrelevant fact that the Roman script has 26 letters
and cannot represent all sounds correctly to pronounce the word
संस्कृत. None in Canada can really pronounce my last name as it
should be pronounced but that does not render me a non-person.)

अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः

Jan 19, 2012, 9:43:13 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I think Dr. Bhat's citing the 'definition' of Sanskrit from Webster's itself settles the issue.

सस्नेहम्
अभ्यंकरकुलोत्पन्नः श्रीपादः ।
"श्रीपतेः पदयुगं स्मरणीयम् ।"

संस्कृताध्ययनम् ।
http://slabhyankar.wordpress.com
http://study1geetaa2sanskrit.wordpress.com
उपनिषदध्ययनम् http://upanishat.wordpress.com
http://slez-musings.blogspot.com

Naresh Cuntoor

Jan 19, 2012, 11:42:00 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Samskrita is as much a language as English, and as much a jargon as English. For example, terms like energy, quarks, etc. have  well-defined meaning in physics. For the layman, perhaps not as much. Similarly, when we look at terms like "supi cha" (as is being discussed in the other thread) - we are talking jargon.

The notions of samadhi, nirvikalpa etc. have certain meaning in yogashastra. Whether one understands the concepts, or agrees with how well-defined it is, is besides the point. Outside of yogashastra, one might employ these terms without regard for precision - and that is fine as far as we understand that we are talking outside the confines of the shastra.

Now for amusement, let us consider the four definitions quoted from Webster.

1. Dhananjay and others have already pointed out the problem with this. "Same community or nation", "same cultural tradition", "same geographical area" are all rather limiting definitions which fail to capture why English is a language.

Or, by this definition we have to agree to say that English is not a language. Ridiculous, that is.

Alternatively, community, nation, culture, geographical area, have to defined broadly.

Or we have to accept that English is not a language, but that Indian English, British English, American English are languages. Would that make New England English, Southern English, Midwestern English, etc. dialects? Fine, if it does!

2. communication by voice, speech etc. -- I don't see how this definition disqualifies Samskrit from being a language. Care to elaborate? Or do you propose to redefine human?

3. I don't understand how this is "opposed to speech".

4. Again, I don't see how this definition disqualifies Samskrit from being a language. Please elaborate.

Naresh
vaak.wordpress.com

Ajit Gargeshwari

Jan 19, 2012, 11:46:16 PM1/19/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
In my opinion there are two aspects one is Sanskrit language was extensively used in the past and present and its usage in literature, science, philosophy in administration etc is beyond any doubt it has been used for over 2000 years regulated by Paninin and different grammatical school. It might had a pan Indian presence and has influenced several languages of South Asia and several Indian languages.

One can look at the differences between Katyaya and Patanjali which shows the progress Sanskrit Language had made and can be explained if one assumes Sanskrit was a spoken language then.

The second aspect is " Sanskrit as a language"  was it ever used as we use English, Kannada, French or Hindi in our daily speech and communications by a large section of a given population or geographical area is for scholars to decide.  If the answer to this question is negative then one must accept Sanskrit was an artificial language but it still continues to be a language by an definition.

Regards

Ajit Gargeshwari

Ajit Gargeshwari

Jan 20, 2012, 4:10:07 AM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Listed below are some primary aspects of language copied from various internet resources. From below it is very clear Sanskrit stands as a language Please read different sources from which i have documented this information. It may not related, I can rework and explain if required

Source 1

Language may refer either to the specifically Human capacity for acquiring and using complex systems of communication, or to a specific instance of such a system of complex communication. The scientific study of language in any of its senses is called linguistics

Human language is unique in comparison to other forms of communication, such as those used by animals, because it allows humans to produce an infinite set of utterances from a finite set of elements, and because the symbols and grammatical rules of any particular language are largely arbitrary, so that the system can only be acquired through social interaction. The known systems of communication used by animals, on the other hand, can only express a finite number of utterances that are mostly genetically transmitted.Human language is also unique in that its complex structure serves a much wider range of functions than any other kinds of communication system.

The five characteristics of language include the fact that language is a system, it is dynamic and it contains dialects, sociolects and idiolects. These characteristics hold true for every language. Linguistics is the study of language which allows humans to learn and communicate.Language is a system o
f communication that consists of oral and written language.

The sound of each of the 36 consonants and the 16 vowels of Sanskrit are fixed and precise since the very beginning. They were never changed, altered, improved or modified. All the words of the Sanskrit language always had the same pronunciation as they have today. There was no ‘sound shift,’ no change in the vowel system, and no addition was ever made in the grammar of the Sanskrit in relation to the formation of the words. The reason is its absolute perfection by its own nature and formation, because it was the first language of the world.

2.

The morphology of word formation is unique and of its own kind where a word is formed from a tiny seed root (called dhatu) in a precise grammatical order which has been the same since the very beginning. Any number of desired words could be created through its root words and the prefix and suffix system as detailed in the Ashtadhyayi of Panini. Furthermore, 90 forms of each verb and 21 forms of each noun or pronoun could be formed that could be used in any situation.

3.

There has never been any kind, class or nature of change in the science of Sanskrit grammar as seen in other languages of the world as they passed through one stage to another.

4.

The perfect form of the Vedic Sanskrit language had already existed thousands of years earlier even before the infancy of the earliest prime languages of the world like Greek, Hebrew and Latin etc.

Source 2

Spoken language - (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"

Oral communication, speech communication, spoken communication, voice communication, speech, language
language, linguistic communication - a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols; "he taught foreign languages"; "the language introduced is standard throughout the text"; "the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written"

Auditory communication - communication that relies on hearing
words - the words that are spoken; "I listened to his words very closely"
Orthoepy, pronunciation - the way a word or a language is customarily spoken; "the pronunciation of Chinese is difficult for foreigners"; "that is the correct pronunciation"

Conversation - the use of speech for informal exchange of views or ideas or information etc.
give-and-take, discussion, word - an exchange of views on some topic; "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"
locution, saying, expression - a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations; "pardon the expression"
non-standard speech - speech that differs from the usual accepted, easily recognizable speech of native adult members of a speech community

Idiolect - the language or speech of one individual at a particular period in life

Monologue - a long utterance by one person (especially one that prevents others from participating in the conversation)
magic spell, magical spell, charm, spell - a verbal formula believed to have magical force; "he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"

Dictation - speech intended for reproduction in writing
monologue, soliloquy - speech you make to yourself

Source 3

Spoken language is based on a face-to-face encounter. One person directly addresses another or others. (The electronic media, such as radio and television are, of course, exceptions, but even there we can envision someone at a microphone imagining an audience to whom they direct their remarks.)

Within the face-to-face encounter of speech, communication is not limited to words. Speakers use a wide variety of extra-verbal devices, from emphasis and dramatic pauses to changes in tone or tempo. Speakers also use a broad range of non-verbal clues. They “talk” with their eyes and their bodies. They use hand gestures and facial expressions to convey ideas. And speakers respond to similar cues from their listeners—the nods and grunts that say, in effect, "I hear you," or the quizzical looks that say, "I don't understand."

As we learn a language, we also learn the non-verbal conventions of that language—the meaning of a shrug, a pout, or a smile. Speech thus often includes not only a face-to-face meeting, but also a meeting of the minds. "Conversation," Steven Pinker notes, "requires cooperation.

Listeners assume speakers are conveying information relevant to what they already know and what they want to know. That allows them to hear between the lines in order to pin down the meanings of vague and ambiguous words and to fill in the unsaid logical steps.

Speaker and listener are aware of each other's knowledge, interests, and biases. They can interpret remarks within the common social setting in which they find themselves. This mutual understanding, being "on the same page" as it were, is frequently absent with written communication. Information an author would like to assume the reader knows must be included with a text. Writers must make their biases explicit to assure full understanding by the critical reader, and readers, unable to read body language, must subject texts to close scrutiny to "read" attitudes or biases underlying a text.

Source 3

I use the word language broadly to mean any system of communication; any system for transferring information from one party to another. This would include “body language” and mathematics, not simply the customary notion of speech or writing. Likewise, we won’t restrict the idea of communication only to humans; there are many examples of communication among animals, and also between humans and objects such as clocks or computers.

People use languages to express their experience. However, each language is uniquely adapted for expressing only certain parts of our experience and is less effective for describing other parts. We cannot completely describe a painting in words, or describe emotions with numbers. And because experiences differ widely from one culture to another, we cannot completely express the concepts and nuances of one culture in the languages of another. For example, the Ohlone Indians of the western United States, who had a stable population for 5,000 years before the Spanish arrived, had no word for “famine,” presumably because they had never experienced that condition.

To refine the notion of language further, we call symbolic a language that represents information in the abstract, outside of its immediate context. For example, we can understand the word “five” as a symbol for a group of ideas that have to do with quantity, size, order or appearance, regardless of whether we are counting, measuring, comparing or describing anything at the moment.

Symbolic languages can be multi-layered or interactive in complex ways. Consider the symbolic complexity of a system like Morse code, which is transmitted as auditory signals. The signals represent our alphabet and can be translated directly into letters or written down in Morse notation and translated later; the letters represent the sounds of spoken language, which can be combined to form words, which in turn stand for ideas; and so on. We will discuss symbols more specifically in the sections below, but for now the point is simply that using a symbolic language adds abstraction and extra dimensions when we express our experience.

धनंजय वैद्य <deejayvaidya@yahoo.com>

Jan 20, 2012, 8:04:56 AM1/20/12
to samskrita
Webster (1913) gives a definition of Sanskrit as follows:

(QUOTED)
The ancient language of the Hindoos, long since obsolete in vernacular
use, but preserved to the present day as the literary and sacred
dialect of India. It is nearly allied to the Persian, and to the
principal languages of Europe, classical and modern, and by its more
perfect preservation of the roots and forms of the primitive language
from which they are all descended, is a most important assistance in
determining their history and relations.
(ENDQUOTE)

The words "language", "dialect" and "vernacular" are used but the term
"jargon" is not used.
"ancient language"
"obsolete in vernacular"
"literary and sacred dialect"

Because this is a Webster's definition, it could be cross-referenced
with their definitions of language, dialect and vernacular:

> LANGUAGE is applied to the "general pattern" of a people or race
Webster (1913) states that Sanskrit is the ancient general pattern of
of the people or race of Hindoos

> DIALECT is applied to "certain forms" or "varieties of" a language, often
> those that provincial communities or special groups retain (or develop) even
> after a standard has been established:
Webster (1913) states that Sanskrit is a special literary and sacred
form of a language, and these varieties have been retained or
developed even after a standard was established.

>A JARGON
(not mentioned in the definition of "sanskrit")

>A VERNACULAR is the authentic "natural pattern" of speech, now usually on
>the informal level, used by persons indigenous to a certain community, large
>or small. :
Webster (1913) states that Sanskrit is now obsolete as a natural
pattern of speech on an informal level in persons indigenous to any
community

Hope this may be helpful.

No rainbow outside my window this minute, but a rather pretty, if non-
supernatural, sunrise.

Dhananjay

nagendra kumar jha

Jan 20, 2012, 8:43:47 AM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
NAMASTE!
Going strictly by the above frame, even English can not be treated as language. And going by other factors like literature etc sanskrit is richest.
regards.
nagendra

Be proud of yourself and respect yourself. The world will respect you.
nagendra/CSE/2000
Commandant, NFC, Hyderabad.
09440808011 (m)

Eddie Hadley

Jan 20, 2012, 9:57:32 AM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Dr,

The subject heading has the term in quotes - 'language'.

Usually such quotes imply a special sense of the word so quoted, as some members have noticed.

Of course Saṃskṛta is a language!

But that is not the issue.
As duly provided in the post, the issue has a number of levels when read between the lines, as again some members have noticed.

The classifications of ‘language’ according to the great authority that is Webster, are clearly presented by Webster, and reproduced there in my posts, was to enable learned discussion.

A dash of humour is added, to spice up what another professor of the ancient verbal has described as the ‘dry bones of grammar’.

By the given classification of ‘language’, Saṃskṛta is so classified:

    Saṃskṛta  is
        not ‘general’
        not ‘DIALECT
        not “natural”
        IS “artificial”

The distinctions lay lie with the attributes of 'language'.

LANGUAGE "general"
DIALECT "form of"
JARGON "artificial"
VERNACULAR "natural"

As an exercise, one may entertain oneself by positioning "Saṃskṛta" in one
or more, or even none of these places.
Then try Yiddish, French, or what you will . . .

the other level(s), which are also quite relevant:

Logic, by way of Aristotle et al, is the basic of the Law in many a Land.

It is relevant here, as the ‘the whole’ bit of this issue appears to have been overlooked by many.

Maybe I am mistaken in my assumptions that members of this particular grammar group would be well acquainted in the  subtleties of language.

Hereby some criticism, which I am surprised to find, I need to bring to the forefront, from between those lines.

To be taken constructively, three times a day, during one’s coffee break, between the dusting down of manuscripts:

One man’s ‘language’ is another man’s ‘jargon’.

The onus is on the ‘jargon’ speaker to converse with non-jargon speakers in ’natural’ speak i.e. non jargon speak.

Please, at least when replying to lay members, which surely make up the vast majority, realise that explanations of the ‘jargon’ kind serve only to demonstrate the credentials of the demonstrator to fellow jargon speakers.
They ‘explanations’ simply obscure, not reveal.
To put it in the vernacular, they are quite meaningless, the do the very opposite to what is required.
Again in the vernacular, to explain is to to make plain or clear; render understandable or intelligible:

Thank you for you indulgence.

Eddie

Naresh Cuntoor

Jan 20, 2012, 10:54:42 AM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
[Moderator hat on]

Of course Saṃskṛta is a language!

But that is not the issue.
As duly provided in the post, the issue has a number of levels when read between the lines, as again some members have noticed.

Given that this *was* the subject of the thread, I see no point in prolonging this thread.

    Saṃskṛta  is
        not ‘general’
        not ‘DIALECT
        not “natural”
        IS “artificial”

And you say this based on?
Unless you provide facts to support your claims, let us stop this discussion here.

-Naresh

Nityanand Misra

Jan 20, 2012, 10:57:03 AM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com, Eddie Hadley
Eddie

I am probably the first person on the thread to agree with you, but only partly :).

First where I agree with you. Sanskrit is not just a language like any other human language in the world. The formal structure which it has (a context sensitive grammar), codified by the nearly 4000 Sutras of Panini, along with the appendices on Dhatus and Ganas, et cetera, make it a context sensitive (or recursively enumerable) language which can be recognized by a Turing Machine. Sanskrit [or a Sanskrit speaker] knows that it is different from a normal, natural, human language - this is evidenced by two words used in Sanskrit for "human" languages -
  1. प्राकृत, this literally means "natural", but a special meaning of the word is any other naturally spoken language apart from Sanskrit.
  2. भाषा, this word literally means "language", but a special meaning of the word is a Prakrit or natural language. That the term भाषा
So in Sanskrit itself, there are hints to be found that all other human languages are natural/mortal/human/unrefined, while Sanskrit is not.

Now where I differ. It is still a language in the sense of of all meanings in Webster, even though it may not be natural or mortal. Depending on your belief, you may call it an ideal language which was refined/designed/perfected over centuries (hence the name संस्कृत or संस्कृता वाक्), or you may call it a divine language which was revealed to some Rishis and Yogis in deep meditation (hence the names देवभाषा or गीर्वाणवाणी) as a स्फोट. It is very different from a natural human language, but still a language nevertheless. Finally, a jargon is restricted to a specific occupational community e.g. medical/computer/business jargon. But Sanskrit was used in texts of every occupation in India - be it philosophy, or medicine, or music, or metallurgy, or astronomy, or linguistics, or mathematics, or alchemy, or religion, or .... the list is endless.

Nityanand

Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com

|| आत्मा तत्त्वमसि श्वेतकेतो ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That Ātman, O Śvetaketu)
     - Ṛṣi Uddālaka to his son, Chāndogyopaniṣad 6.8.7, The Sāma Veda

Naresh Cuntoor

Jan 20, 2012, 8:45:02 PM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
First where I agree with you. Sanskrit is not just a language like any other human language in the world. The formal structure which it has (a context sensitive grammar), codified by the nearly 4000 Sutras of Panini, along with the appendices on Dhatus and Ganas, et cetera, make it a context sensitive (or recursively enumerable) language

Well, English has its grammar too. And etymology. And verbs. And prefixes. And suffixes. And thematic roles. And context-sensitive grammar. So by your reasoning, English is not just a language like any other human language in the world!

which can be recognized by a Turing Machine. Sanskrit [or a Sanskrit speaker] knows that it is different from a normal, natural, human language - this is evidenced by two words used in Sanskrit for "human" languages -
  1. प्राकृत, this literally means "natural", but a special meaning of the word is any other naturally spoken language apart from Sanskrit.
  2. भाषा, this word literally means "language", but a special meaning of the word is a Prakrit or natural language. That the term भाषा

That Samskrit was a widely-spoken language is quite clear from Patanjali's preface to his commentary on Ashtadhyayi where he says "... keshAM shabdAnAm? laukikAnAM vaidikAnAM cha ..." (or something to that effect).  Evidently, they did not use the label Samskrita back then. So what? After all Hindus did not use the label 'Hindu' for a long time!

I think we tend to get carried away by the parsing ease of Sanskrit and ascribe all kinds of unnecessary superlatives. English has its parsing engines too. Otherwise, Microsoft Word would not highlight mistakes of disagreeing verbs and subjects. Or red-flag bad constructions. So does this make English different from a normal, natural, human language?

So in Sanskrit itself, there are hints to be found that all other human languages are natural/mortal/human/unrefined, while Sanskrit is not.

Please elaborate. What are these hints?

Now where I differ. It is still a language in the sense of of all meanings in Webster, even though it may not be natural or mortal. Depending on your belief, you may call it an ideal language which was refined/designed/perfected over centuries (hence the name संस्कृत or संस्कृता वाक्), or you may call it a divine language which was revealed to some Rishis and Yogis in deep meditation (hence the names देवभाषा or गीर्वाणवाणी) as a स्फोट. It is very different from a natural human language, but still a language

This is exactly what I mean by the use of terms within and outside of a shastra context. Bhartrhari uses the term sphoTa in his theory of language in certain specific ways. Here you have brought in Rishis and Yogis in deep meditation and all that. sphoTa in sphoTa-vAda is not that.

Rishis may have had great insights because of their saadhana. They may have expressed their thoughts in Samskrit. That does not mean Samskrit itself is a divine revelation or whatever. Now if one were to claim that they came upon these great insights because they knew Samskrit, that would indeed be interesting -- iff one can substantiate that claim.

Naresh

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 20, 2012, 9:14:38 PM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
All the arguments by Nithyanandaji are based on very often quoted maxims:

संस्कृतं नाम दैवी वाग् अन्वाख्याता महर्षिभिः।

(काव्यादर्श of दण्डिन्)

which presupposes the validity of the statement in Vedic literature(Rigveda  (8.101):

देवीं वाचमजनयन्त देवास्तां विश्वरूपाः पशवो वदन्ति ।
सा नो मन्द्रेषमूर्जं दुहाना धेनुर्वागस्मानुप सुष्टुतैतु ॥११॥

which is dependent on the word देव and makes the language as देवभाषा or गीर्वाणभाषा.

The interpretation of the above is Sanskrit is a divine language, unlike any human language. Only that it was refined by Panini and other महर्षि-s with their divine vision. Hope this makes clear Nityanandji's expression.

While from a neutral point, it can refer the faculty of speech in general, which is adapted by great grammarians according to their languages and the Vedic seer wishes this faculty always present which is a living force (without which one will be crippled with the speech faculty). The interpretations differ taking advantage of the polysemous nature of words   in Sanskrit Language. Here "deva" can mean an organ of sense (Monier-Williams, Sir M. (1988) also. This is theory of creation is developed in the Yoga and Sankhya systems also who do not depend on a Creator for the creation. By the way, Dandin refers to Sanskrit language as the language as अन्व्याख्याता महर्षिभिः is quite obvious.

I just reported what I knew without taking any side in the discussion whether Sanskrit is divine or mortal or human language or language at all.

Naresh Cuntoor

Jan 20, 2012, 11:43:56 PM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
प्रसङ्गवशात् वच्मि - अद्य Times of India पत्रिकायाम् Speaking tree column मध्ये इदं लेखनं दृश्यते । कश्चन श्रद्धावान् छात्रः गुरुम् अभिगम्य तद्भक्तैः ग्रथितं गुरुचरितं समर्पयामास । तस्मिन् ग्रन्थे गुरुचरितं च गुरुवचनं च गुरुसन्देशं च सुवर्णाक्षरैः प्रस्फुटं दृश्यन्ते स्म । सन्देशस्य उपदेशस्य च अर्थं विस्मृत्य इव भक्ताः एवम् अक्षरेष्वेव महान्तं विश्वासं कुर्वन्ति इति ज्ञात्वा स गुरुः मन्दहासेन स्वस्तीत्युवाच ।

एवं किं वयमपि संस्कृतं नाम दैवी वाक् इति अक्षरशः विश्वासं कुर्वाणाः तद्भावं विस्मराम ?
(The short English version of the above note- The Speaking tree column in today's (21st Jan) Times of India newspaper has an article that is relevant in the context of our discussion. It has an anecdote about mistaking letter for the spirit).

किंच सूत्र-वाक्य-भाष्यकारप्रभृतिभिः महर्षिभिः लौकिकं च वैदिकं च प्रयोगम् अन्वाख्यातं खलु व्याकरणे । प्रयोगशरणाः वैय्याकरणाः । केषामयं प्रयोगः ? जनानाम् । क्व ? लोके च वेदे च । न खलु पतञ्जलिरपि देवप्रयोगं प्रस्तौति !
That these maharshis had profound insights into language, its production, its philosophy, and other aspects is clear.  They came up with clever ways to model grammar of both everyday speak (i.e., loka prayogaH) and the Vedic counterpart. Patanjali explains this in his introduction. He is not talking about a third usage - that of the devas!

Anyway, it looks like we have gone from "is it a language?" to "whose language"?!

Also, let us remember that though we use the term 'prAkRuta', there are several categories within itself. I use the term categories because I don't know they can be considered dialects or whether they are sufficiently distinct to be called languages.

Naresh
vaak.wordpress.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 20, 2012, 11:56:10 PM1/20/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
गौर्गौः कामदुघा सम्यक् प्रयुक्ता स्मर्यते बुधैः।
दुष्प्रयुक्ता पुनर्गोत्वं प्रयोक्तुः सैव शंसति।" इति,

"यस्तु प्रयुङ्क्ते कुशलो विशेषे शब्दान् यथावद् व्यवहारकाले।
सो ऽनन्तमाप्नोति जयं परत्र यो वाग्योगविद् दुष्यति  चापशब्दैः॥"

इति च न विस्मर्तव्यम्। अन्ते च, "दुष्यते चापशब्दैः"  इत्यस्य व्याख्यानं च स्मृतिपथमारोहति -- कः? वाग्योगविदेव अपशब्दैः दुष्यति। यस्तु अवाग्योगविद्? तस्य अज्ञानमेव शरणम्।

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 21, 2012, 12:13:16 AM1/21/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
"कः? |
वाग्योगविदेव | (दुष्यति चापशब्दैः)
"अथ यो ऽवाग्योगविद् अज्ञानं तस्य शरणम् |"

इति महाभाष्यव्याख्यानवाक्यभागः प्रस्तुतः।