In this new year - a great opportunity for Dhaanam & receive Sanskrit books free of cost

CG Krishnamurthi

Apr 25, 2012, 2:57:36 AM4/25/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,

I'm sad to put this news - which is quite painful to read... however the fact of the matter needs to be brought out. It is about saving a Sanskrit Research Institute the only one alive in Tamil Nadu

Those who wish to contribute need not do at free of cost - become a life-time member of this prestigious institution and receive publications from this institute free of cost for the life-time. Now when you pay Rs. 2000/- and become a life member - you'll receive about 8 Hard-bound books free of cost - including 4 volumes of Mahabashyam of Sage Patanjali (the great vyaakarana treatise) in Sanskrit with English translation and a Old Sanskrit Bija Ganita (Algebra) treatise

Thus your contribution will help to save one of India's premier Sanskrit research institute and also you receive books free of cost.

Kindly reach Dr.  K.S.Balasubramanian, Dy.Director, Kuppuswamy Sastri Research Institute, Sanskrit College, Mylapore, Chennai. Phone- 044-24985320

Warm regards
CG Krishnamurthi

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-04-03/chennai/31280618_1_rashtriya-sanskrit-sansthan-renowned-sanskrit-scholar-ancient-language

Sanskrit centre struggles to stay alive

B Sivakumar, TNN Apr 3, 2012, 06.57AM IST

CHENNAI: The Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute attached to the Sanskrit College in Mylapore is in doldrums because of lack of government patronage.

The institute, one of the three involved in Sanskrit research in the country , has been surviving on private donations . With not enough resources , the management is unable to pay the faculty the benefits of the sixth pay commission.

Institute director V Kameswari said the Union government stopped its financial support in 1995, after which it has been solely dependent on donations . "The institute has a trove of rare palm leaf manuscripts and books not just about Sanskrit literature but also on architecture , fine arts , geography, history and astronomy in Sanskrit ," says Kameswari.

The two other such institutes are R G Bandarkar Sanskrit Institute in Pune and Ganganath Jha Sanskrit Institute in Allahabad . "We have requested a onetime grant from the Union planning commission and also annual assistance from the Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, but are yet to get any support ," says K S Balasubramanian, deputy director of the institute . The plan panel had given grants to the Mumbai Asiatic Society and Kolkata based Asiatic Society .

The institute was getting about 10 lakh till 1995 but due to a misunderstanding between the government-appointed members of the governing committee and the management , the aid was stopped .Today, there are 24 scholars at the institute , most of them women doing their PhDs. "Scholars from across the country and world visit the institute . We send out publications to many foreign universities and they in turn send their publications which are preserved here ," says Kameswari .

The institute was started as a private non-profit organisation in 1944in memory of Kuppuswami Sastri , a renowned Sanskrit scholar . It has a library with books on astronomy, architecture , fine arts , mathematics , Vedas , Puranas , Upanishads and various branches of science.
"A private entrepreneur made a donation with which we have air conditioned the library. The palm-leaf manuscripts in the library are 600 to1,000 years old. Many of them are in Grantha script . We also have books on Jainism that speak about solving mathematical equations and explain geographical concepts," says Kameswari , who is worried about keeping the ancient language alive.

Mohan P

Apr 28, 2012, 1:47:37 PM4/28/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I posted this message in our THANJAVUR MARATHI GROUP in FACEBOOK. I proposed that TMG as a group will.associate with the great cause of supporting this group. I am glad to tell that two members pledges- Shri Suresh Naig Rs 5000 Shri G Jayanta Rao Rs 2500/- I shall donate Rs 2000/-We all will be sending money individually.

I hope you maintain records of donors. If so our collective donations may be identifies under Thanjavur Marathi Group. This is a small favour we seek..

I am too lazy to write cheque and post it. It will help if your bank name, A/C no and NEFT codes of the branch is publicised. I shall make Epayment.

May I suggest that KSRI website may also publicise the needs for public support.

I sincerely hope God will support KSRI till eternity.

P.Mohan

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:27:36 PM UTC+5:30, Seeteyah wrote:
Dear All,

I'm sad to put this news - which is quite painful to read... however the fact of the matter needs to be brought out. It is about saving a Sanskrit Research Institute the only one alive issn Tamil Nadu

Naresh Cuntoor

Apr 29, 2012, 6:49:14 PM4/29/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
[Mod.note: ]

There were several messages asking for Dr.  K.S.Balasubramanian's email. If someone has it, and gets his ok to share it with the group, please post it.

Otherwise, as posted previously, those interested may contact him at the following address posted earlier:
Dr.  K.S.Balasubramanian, Dy.Director, Kuppuswamy Sastri Research Institute, Sanskrit College, Mylapore, Chennai. Phone- 044-24985320

We have rejected a few messages which asked for the same details. Further discussion like the Thanjavur Marathi group comment are best addressed off-the-list, directly with the parties concerned.

Thanks,

Naresh
vaak.wordpress.com

DEV RAJ

Apr 30, 2012, 5:00:38 AM4/30/12
to samskrita
THE KUPPUSWAMI SASTRI RESEARCH INSTITUTE.
Union Bank of India,
Mylapore Branch
Account No. 395702010007408
NEFT NO: UBIN0539571