Upakarma or Upakrama

Swaroop Sharma

Aug 2, 2012, 2:25:32 AM8/2/12
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, Samskrita
Namaste,
Esteemed scholars,
In the Indian tradition on this day we celebrate Upaakarma. What is the meaning of this word? I heard a scholar saying that it is Upakrama as one is supposed to start studying one new portion of the Vedas and the Shastras. Is it UPA-KRAMA?

Dhanyavad
Swaroop.R. M.A., M.S.
Research Scholar, DOS in Psychology, University of Mysore.
#200, 'Shree Rajarajeshwari' 10th B Cross J.P.Nagar I Phase, Bangalore-78
09742164232
, 080-22444504
http://www.gods-own-handwriting.blogspot.com/

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Aug 2, 2012, 9:18:55 AM8/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Apte's dictionary gives the following meanings for UPAAKARMAN -

1. Preparation, beginning, commencement.
2. A  ceremony performed before commencing to read the vedas after the
    monsoon.

-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

Aug 2, 2012, 11:06:11 AM8/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
उपाकरणम् - उपाकर्म।

"संस्कारपूर्वं ग्रहणं स्यादुपाकरणं श्रुतेः" इत्यमरः (२.७.४०)

एकं वेदपाठारम्भविधिधिविशेषस्य। It is उपाकरण as recorded by Amarasimha.
And also उपाकर्मन्.

ViSmṛ, 30, 3.1
utsarjanopākarmaṇor madhye vedāṅgādhyayanaṃ kuryāt //

वेदाध्ययन is between उपाकर्म and उत्सर्जन. i.e. उपाकर्म the beginning and उत्सर्जन or otherwise known as समावर्तन also.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Swaroop Sharma

Aug 2, 2012, 8:07:22 PM8/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,
Esteemed scholars,
How do we break the word Upakarma?
Is it Upa + aa(samantaat) + karma.
So what meaning should we infer?
Or is there any other way of breaking the word and understanding it?

Dhanyavada

#200, 'Shree Rajarajeshwari' 10th B Cross J.P.Nagar I Phase, Bangalore-78
09742164232