tandrā

Prasad J

Feb 2, 2012, 9:52:10 PM2/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Namaste,

I was reading a description of different yuga from Bhāgavata Purāṇa and came across this verse:

12.3.30

yadā māyānṛtaṁ tandrā

nidrā hiṁsā viṣādanam

śoka-mohau bhayaṁ dainyaṁ

sa kalis tāmasaḥ smṛtaḥ

This is the description of Kali-yuga and in this ‘tandrā’ word is used. I was searching in Siddhānta-kaumudī (SK) how this tandrā made and got the following information.

SK 3138 (A 3.2.158): spṛhi-gṛhi-pati-dayi-nidrā-tandrā-śraddhābhya āluc. SK gives an answer that, originally it was tad + drā and ‘d’ irregularly changed to ‘n’. But how can we, in first place, add ‘tad’ with ‘drā’ dhātu? Does ‘tad’ work as an upasarga for drā dhātu?

Somewhere I heard that, ‘tandra’ is a sautra dhātu. Then, how can use sautra dhātu in common usage?

Regards,

Prasad J

Vimala Sarma

Feb 2, 2012, 11:12:24 PM2/2/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

तन्द्रा [p= 436,3] [L=82584]

f. lassitude , exhaustion , laziness Ya1jn5. iii , 158 MBh. iii , 3008 ; xiv , 874 R. Sus3r. &c

Vimala

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 3, 2012, 12:01:40 AM2/3/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

I was reading a description of different yuga from Bhāgavata Purāṇa and came across this verse:

12.3.30

yadā māyānṛtaṁ tandrā

nidrā hiṁsā viṣādanam

śoka-mohau bhayaṁ dainyaṁ

sa kalis tāmasaḥ smṛtaḥ

This is the description of Kali-yuga and in this ‘tandrā’ word is used. I was searching in Siddhānta-kaumudī (SK) how this tandrā made and got the following information.

SK 3138 (A 3.2.158): spṛhi-gṛhi-pati-dayi-nidrā-tandrā-śraddhābhya āluc. SK gives an answer that, originally it was tad + drā and ‘d’ irregularly changed to ‘n’.

But how can we, in first place, add ‘tad’ with ‘drā’ dhātu? Does ‘tad’ work as an upasarga for drā dhātu?

Please avoid inferring your own etymology according to your knowledge. If you want please refer to classical lexicons which would help you to understand the context.   तद् द्रातीति तन्द्रा, तन्द्रा प्रमीला, निद्रा - Here it is used as noun derived from तद् + द्रा + क = तन्द्रा।
Hope you are conversant with the process of derivation according grammar as you have raised the question.
We are using only the word तन्द्रा as it is available with descriptions provided by Panini and it dowsn't mean we are inventing our own derivation or the use of the verb. Here it is derived from द्रा कुत्सायाम् धातुः, and as it is available in the word we explain it with possible ways. Who said tad is "upasarga"?

Somewhere I heard that, ‘tandra’ is a sautra dhātu. Then, how can use sautra dhātu in common usage?

As you are aware, you are reading a Purana text and not a text in classical literature.
What made you to think  tandrā is used as an verb in this context? Please refer to a dictionary first before posting your questions so as to save your time and others also spent on unwanted queries.

Mm. Vimalaji has given the dictionary meaning for the word which makes clear it is not a verb used here.
Even if you think it is used, it is a Purana text.
And you are not expected to use the Sautra dhatu, which is inferred from the sUtra, to be the verb deriving the word.

It is explained as derived from तन्द्र अवसादे verb,  + भावे घञ्. + टाप्. तन्द्रा निद्रा इत्यर्थः।
The same Sautra dhatu used to derive the word तन्द्रा. That is the purpose of explaining it as सौत्रधातु and you are not expected to use it  as a regular verb as it is not listed among other धातु-s as the regular verb.

Hope this will satisfy your inquisition.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Prasad J

Feb 4, 2012, 8:25:08 AM2/4/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Bhatji for your reply.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Feb 5, 2012, 11:05:40 AM2/5/12
to samskrita
This discussion reminded me of two well-known places that use the word
तन्द्रा -

In गीता

यदि ह्यहं न वर्तेयं जतु कर्मण्यतन्द्रितः।
मम वर्त्माऽनुवर्तन्ते मनुष्याः पार्थ सर्वशः॥३.२३

In गङ्गालहरी

स्मृतिं याता पुंसामकृतसुकृतानामपि च या
हरत्यन्तस्तन्द्रां तिमिरमिव चन्द्रांशुसरणिः॥।
इयं सा ते मूर्तिः सकलसुरसंसेव्यसलिला।
ममान्तःसन्तापं त्रिविधमपि पापं च हरतु ॥५॥

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, February 05, 2012.

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 5, 2012, 9:09:10 PM2/5/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
If out of track, I can add a beautiful wave from the waves of beauty (ocean) -

वितन्द्री माहेन्द्री विततिरपि संमीलति दृशाम्,
महासंहारेऽस्मिन् विहरति सति, त्वत्पतिरसौ॥२६॥

The row of (one thousand) eyes without any closure of eye-lashes (without sleep) of Mahendra also closes at the time of the great destruction, O chaste wife, your husband alone roams (at this time) ... (while all other gods meet their end of life time).