Aarush

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Jun 10, 2011, 11:11:47 PM6/10/11
to samskrita
A distant relative of mine has sent me a message on the first birthday of his
grandson  Aarush for my blessings.

We are Tamil Brahmins and generally have names of Sanskrit origin.  But I am
at a loss to understand the meaning of this word. Request anyone for help.

-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

hnbhat B.R.

Jun 10, 2011, 11:52:45 PM6/10/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
If it is अरुष् = (mfn). not angry , good-tempered

but आरुष् derived from (आ- √ रुष्   Caus. to make furious) would give the opposite meaning "making some agngry, or il-tempered.

This much can be said if any meaning is sought from Sanskrit. It is not necessary for proper names to seek any meaning, which are called संज्ञा शब्द-s like डित्थ which need not have any meaning than serving the purpose to identify the person/object they denote from others.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R.
EFEO,

hnbhat B.R.

Jun 11, 2011, 12:09:56 AM6/11/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Or it may be a Tamil derivative from Sanskrit हर्ष Aarish

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 11, 2011, 12:23:42 AM6/11/11
to samskrita
Dear PKR,

I sympathise with you.

There was a time, several decades ago, when the names given to boys
and girls in Marathi (educated) families, as in similar families
everywhere, were straight from the Indian mythology, puraNas,
Mahabharata, Bhagavata etc., like Shankar, VishNu, Raama, LakShmaNa,
Siitaa, Gangaa, Yamunaa, LakShmI etc. Around the 3rd or the 4th
decade of the 20th century, more poetic names made their appearance,
(I presume) under the influence of the Bengali literature of
Sharatchandra, Ravindranath etc. Three of my uncles born in the
1920’s and 1930’s had names like Chittaranjan, Chaitanya and
Chandrashekhar. I myself have a name that you would not find anywhere
prior to the early 20th century.

These names like Dilip, Anand, Santosh, Prafulla ruled the field for a
few decades but have already become old-fashioned. The younger
parents are on the lookout for more unusual names and are delving
deeper into old literature for names. This has brought forth names
like Arya, Ved, Jai/Jay, Anvay, Anuja, Shantanu etc.

This trend sometimes teaches something new to us. A nephew of mine
named his daughter ‘Sanika’. Initially, I was a bit wary of it.
Consulting MW, I found that it is actually a good name, meaning ‘a
flute or bansuri’.

If you do not know (or care) for the meaning behind the name, and are
only looking for a sweet-sounding and vaguely Sanskrit name, this can
lead to hilarious or absurd results. I have come across the name
‘Swapnil’. Today’s sweet boy ‘Swapnil’ will, one day, become a
grandfather. How will ‘Swapnil grandpa’ sound then? ‘Vrishali’ is a
common girl’s name today. In MudrarakShasa, Chanakya insists on
calling Chandragupta as ‘Vrishala’, i.e. a dasIputra. So, for those
who know, Vrishala/Vrishali is not complimentary names at all. But
who cares or knows? A nephew of mine is called ‘Ahan’, meaning the
day! Another girl, an emerging singer, is called Saneyee, whatever it
means! It sounds ethnic and the parents are happy that they have
found an unusual but Indian name for their child.

This is something that should be applauded as well as decried. It is
good that we are re-discovering and re-establishing our roots in the
past and validating the old culture. At the same time, its
superficiality makes one cringe.

But take heart. Aarush is not all that vacuous. AarushI, according
to MW, is a daughter of Manu and mother of Aurva.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, June 11, 2011.

kamalesh pathak

Jun 13, 2011, 2:45:19 AM6/13/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
kolhatakar ji your observation is very true and closest to modern mindset of the mass and average people.
congrates for such a fine letters .

can someone define meaning of a boy name SHRINNU please.
regards.
kamalesh pathak
somanath

nagendra jha

Jun 13, 2011, 7:48:03 AM6/13/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
namo namah.
SHRINNU is nothing but a short name of SHRINIVAS.
REGARDS.

--
Be proud of yourself and respect yourself. The world will respect you.
nagendra/CSE/2000

satyajitan borwankar

Jun 13, 2011, 9:02:10 AM6/13/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
it could be a shortform for Srinivasa/ shrinivasan etc.
Satyajit

hnbhat B.R.

Jun 13, 2011, 10:13:12 PM6/13/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
It can be a shortened pet name of Shrinivasa/or Shrinivasan (according to language of the speakers) Sheenu or Seenu re-sanskritised again partly as Shrinnu
undergoing drastic changes again according to the habits of pet names in their respective languages rediscovering Sanskrit origin partly and retaining their habits of shortening.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 14, 2011, 9:53:33 AM6/14/11
to samskrita
Aarush, as a name, seems to the flavor of the month! I was told that
a daughter of a cousin of mine, delivered a son 4 days ago. His
parents plan to call him, - what else? - Aarush. They have picked up
this name from a name-suggesting website, which also proffers the
helpful advice that it means 'the first ray of the Sun'!

LOL...

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, June 14, 2011.

hnbhat B.R.

Jun 14, 2011, 10:10:56 AM6/14/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Seems to be a Good Website(de). But our old grand web site for Sanskrit gives the following meanings with all the possible combinations:

Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon:

1aruS1 mfn. not angry , good-tempered Pan5cat.
2arusmfn. wounded , sore S3Br. , (%{us}) n. a sore or wound AV. v , 5 , 4 S3Br. &c. ; the sun Un2. ; ind. a joint L.
3aruS(in comp. for %{a4rus}).
4AruS Caus. to make furious.

Anyway Many Many Happy Returns of the B. Day!
for the child from our group.

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Jun 14, 2011, 10:41:09 PM6/14/11
to samskrita
This topic started when one of my relatives sent a message about his grandson's
first birthday. He mentioned his name as aarush. On my enquiring the meaning of
aarush, he has now replied the meaning as "the first ray of the sun".

Learned members may continue the discussion.
-----------------------------------
P.K.Ramakrishnan
http://peekayar.blogspot.com

hnbhat B.R.

Jun 14, 2011, 11:12:03 PM6/14/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
--

Dear Sir,

I don't think there is any need for scholastic discussion any more on this topic. Our friend Aravindji has already suggested that he got the meaning for his baby from the baby name suggesting sites which are many on the net. We can also find the same thing if we search for the name with the same meaning on many other sites. One of the sites is here I got, (by all means this is not the only one you get, but a number of them):

The days for scholastic discussions are gone in our group and now whatever found on the net have their authenticity for any many skilled in browsing the net with search Engines. Like this one case which need not any scholastic opinion. First, the sites do not give any clue of the language from which the word is picked up and source for their meaning which needs any language in which it is used with the meaning suggested. Any parents browse and get any name they like from these sites and be content with the meaning that is offered in them. Why should we bother about it in our group at all?

Hope you also will be content with the observations of Aravindji too.

Dr.Dhananjay B. Ghare

Jun 15, 2011, 8:26:29 AM6/15/11
to sanskRuta Group sanskRuta Lovers Group, USA SanskRuta_Abhyankara
Dear Member Friends,
  on this Group List,

  namaskaara.
  I wish to bring to your kind attention that NIVS in Joint Collaboration with Raghavendra Swamy Matha, Mantraalaya,
          is Organising an International Conference on

 "LIFE SCIENCES & TECHNOLOGY

IN ANCIENT INDIA”

brief details of which are given below.

  Additional details can be sent to those who make a speciafic request to that effect
     (to the email ids given in the following announcement information,
           preferably with a copy to me for any Follow up from my side).

  With regards and best wishes,
  Dr.Dhananjaya B. Ghare , Wednesday, 15th June 2011, Seattle, USA.

NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF

VEDIC SCIENCE TRUST (Regd.)

(Unit of Sri Sripadaraja Mutt)

Campus : Narashima theertha, Mulbagal-563131,

Dist. Kolar, Karnataka

J o i n t Ve n t u r e o f S r i S r i p a d a r a j a M u t t

a n d

Mantralayam Sri Raghavendra Swamy Mutt

FOURTH

INTERNATIONAL VEDIC SCIENCE CONFERENCE

MAIN THEME OF 2011 CONFERENCE

LIFE SCIENCES & TECHNOLOGY

IN ANCIENT INDIA”

In Association with :

Sri Vadiraja Research Foundation, Puttige

TO BE HELD AT MULBAGAL

ON 23RD, 24TH & 25TH December - 2011

CALL FOR PAPERS SCHEDULE

1. LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF ABSTRACT :

15th JUNE 2011

2. LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF FULL PAPER

FROM THE SHORT LISTED AUTHORS:

15 TH AUGUST 2011

3. PAPER REVIEW, SELECTION AND FINAL

NOTIFICATION TO AUTHORS

15th OCT 2011

Papers are invited from Vedic Scientists / Researchers

/ Modern Scientists Sanskrit scholars / Medical Doctors /

Academicians / Historians / students, who have done

comparative study of ancient and contemporary sciences,

with particular reference to following Sub themes.

MAIN THEME:

LIFE SCIENCES AND

ASSOCIATED TECHNOLOGY IN ANCIENT INDIA.

SUB -THEMES

A. LIFE SCIENCES IN ANCIENT INDIA,

praacheena jeeva_vijnyaanam ,

B . AGRICULTURAL PRACTICES IN ANCIENT

INDIA,

praacheena_bhaarata_kRuShi_vijnyaanasya_prayogam

C. VETERINARY SCIENCES IN ANCIENT INDIA,

praacheena_bhaarata_pashuvaidyakeeya_vijnyaanam

D. ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES IN ANCIENT INDIA,

praacheena_bhaarata_parisara_vijnyaanam

E. HUMAN BIOLOGY IN ANCIENT INDIA,

praacheena_bhaarata_maaanava_jeeva_vijnyaanam

F. YOGA AND ITS IMPACT ON HUMAN LIFE,

maanava_jeevitasyopari_yogashaastra_prayogasya_prabhaavam

G. MISC TOPICS

E-mail id’s for correspondence

nivs_i...@yahoo.com

gaycha2...@yahoo.co.in

registr...@yahoo.com

:

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Jun 15, 2011, 2:36:00 PM6/15/11
to samskrita
Dear Group,

(The original thread about this word and its meaning seems to have
disappeared into a limbo, hence this new thread...)

It seems we were barking the wrong tree in the matter of ‘Aarush’, as
taken from PKR in his initial posting.

Indeed, none of the words that can go with this transliteration, viz.,
आरुश, आरुश्, आरुष, आरुष् are found in MW. However, अरुश, अरुष, अरुष्
corresponding to the transliteration Arush, have meanings in MW, and
these are generally complimentary.

One meaning of अरुश is Indra (source Rigveda). अरुष has several
meanings, all connected with Agni, Ushas, the red color, etc., and
‘first ray of the Sun’ too can be read into it, albeit after some
stretching. अरुष् is ‘good-tempered’ (source Pancatantra).

If our respective nephews or nieces deign to follow the correct form
Arush instead of Aarush, I suppose there should be no problem.

Arvind Kolhatkar, Toronto, June 15, 2011.

Vidya R

Jun 15, 2011, 2:50:02 PM6/15/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The tadditAnta of aru{sh|Sh|s ..}  can likely be aaru{sh|Sh|s ..} -> pertaining to Indra / agni / uShas / sun / good temperamented ....

tadditAnta of vasudeva is vAsudeva ...

Just a thought.

Wishing the two Aarushs who triggered this thread the best in their lives - may they be founts of good knowledge.

vidyA