Meaning of "Hyndavati"

Sita Raama

Mar 8, 2012, 1:05:42 PM3/8/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Namaste
I came across a name "Haindavati" and curious about its root.

Hymavati = daughter of Himavaan ? The closest one I could find but could not break the words to meaningful roots.

I would appreciate your help.

--

सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन् सततम् प्रिय वादिनः | \\

अप्रियस्य च पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः || Ramayanam || ३-३७-२ ||  & || ६-१६-२१ ||

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 11, 2012, 11:53:03 PM3/11/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste
I came across a name "Haindavati" and curious about its root.

Hymavati = daughter of Himavaan ? The closest one I could find but could not break the words to meaningful roots.

Please provide the context where you find such a word with reference. I don't think it is a word from any authentic text in Sanskrit unless it is a typo error.

With regard
--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Sita Raama

Mar 12, 2012, 5:08:14 AM3/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
A friends daughter's name is that. Thats why I was wondering what could be the source.

Samba

Mar 13, 2012, 3:07:59 PM3/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I do know girls being named  'hyndhavi' but 'hyndhavathi' seems odd.

Hnbhat B.R.

Mar 13, 2012, 10:05:04 PM3/13/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
A friends daughter's name is that. Thats why I was wondering what could be the source.

It is हैन्दवती and not हैन्धवती. हैन्दवी could be easily derived from the word हिन्दु << सिन्धु - which is regionally popular for anything related to Hindu.

The word Hindu is derived from the Sanskrit word Sindhu, first mentioned in the Rig Veda,[3] was the historic local appellation for the Indus River in the northwestern part of the Indian subcontinent.[4]

The Brihaspati Agama says:

हिमालयं समारभ्य यावदिंदुसरोवरम् ।

तं देवनिर्मितं देशं हिंदुस्थानं प्रचक्ष्यते ।।

The land created by the gods which stretched from the Himalayas to the Indu (i.e. Southern) ocean is called Hindusthan, with the हिंदु (Hindu) mentioned in word हिंदुस्थानं (Hindusthan).[5][6]

The usage of the word Hindu was further popularized for Arabs and further west by the Arabic term al-Hind referring to the land of the people who live across river Indus[7] and the Persian term Hindū referring to all Indians. By the 13th century, Hindustān emerged as a popular alternative name of India, meaning the "land of Hindus".[8]

It can be हैन्दवी only and not either हैन्धवी or हैन्दवती or हन्दवती. The above extract is from the Viki page.

Vimala Sarma

Mar 14, 2012, 7:18:55 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Bhatt Mahodaya

Are you sure this is a Sanskrit name? Maybe it is a regional name.

Vimala

Vimala Sarma

My new e-mail is sarma...@gmail.com

+612 9699 4414

+61 409 690 220

Mar 14, 2012, 7:37:52 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Are you sure this is a Sanskrit name? Maybe it is a regional name.

Vimala

I just posted the extract from Vicki page to highlight the inspiration for such name.

"Sindhu" is certtainly a Sanskrit word according to Monier Williams which may denote a region Indus valley or a river (nada) with the same name. But may not denote what is now called as the Hindusthana as claimed by the Agama cited:

Ë m. and f. (prob. fr. É1 . {sidh} "' , to go "') a river , stream (esp. the Indus , and in this sense said to be the only river regarded as m.  {-nada} , col. 2) RV. &c. &c.

 According to the Agama cited in the Vicki article, the word "hindusthana" itself a Sanskrit word if it can be accepted as authentic enough.(and "hindu" included in the compound also the part of the word).

I have no opinion on its acceptability as Sanskrit word.

Ajit Gargeshwari

Mar 14, 2012, 7:40:15 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr Bhat relies of Wiki sources all Wiki sources are not accurate for scholarly purposes.  So it is left to ones interpretations.

Thapar, R. 1993. Interpreting Early India. Delhi: Oxford University Press. p. 77

Thompson Platts, John. A dictionary of Urdu , classical Hindī, and English. W.H. Allen & Co., Oxford University 1884.

The views of the above mentioned authors are not beyond dispute.

I think the Origin of the word Hindu has already been discussed in a different thread.

The word "Haindavati" has no usage in Sanskrit literature if one can provide the words usage in Sanskrit literature, one might be able to discuss the grammar behind the word.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

Sita Raama

Mar 14, 2012, 8:46:06 AM3/14/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure also, if its a sanskrit name, I wanted to verify with the group if it is.
Now a days people don't need rhyme and reason to name but I was curious to know.
Since there was "  हैमवति " and  हैन्दवति sounds very similar to that.
So I wanted to check if people here have some opinion or knowledge about it.

Arvind_Kolhatkar

Mar 18, 2012, 9:59:13 AM3/18/12
to samskrita
About the trend of 'inventing' pseudo-Sanskrit names for new-borns
please see two old threads:

’राहिणी’ ऑक्टोबर २०, २०११
’अरुश’ जून १०, २०११

Arvind Kolhatkar, March 18, 2012.