Viewing on Android tablets, specifically Thrive.

NathRao

Feb 2, 2012, 6:07:45 AM2/2/12
to samskrita
Has anyone successfully configured (unrooted) Android device to view
posts on this newsgroups?

The problem is the apparent inability to add/use fonts that have
glyphs for Devanagari, and lack of rendering support for it. If I can
use a font that has Roman transliteration glyphs (so that the
rendering always left-to-right), that would be enough. Chrome for
Android is supposed to be able to do that, but the font issue seems to
remain.

Thanks in advance.

Nath

Vinodh Rajan

Feb 3, 2012, 12:29:25 PM2/3/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nath,

Please use Opera Mini.

Turn on the Bitmap rendering for Complex Scripts. And you should be able to view Devanagari web pages fine.

I hear the issue is not present in Android 4.0. Perhaps someone using Android 4.0 can confirm this.

http://www.virtualvinodh.com

ePandit | ई-पण्डित

Feb 3, 2012, 8:00:58 PM2/3/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
You can install Hindi font in Android (without rooting) by installing Hinkhoj dictionary from Android Market.

Android 4.0 has Hindi font by default but it still lacks CTL (Complex Text Layout) engine support due to which Hindi is not displayed properly. Good news is that the web browser of 4.0 displays Hindi properly.

2012/2/3 Vinodh Rajan <vinodh...@gmail.com>

--
Shrish Benjwal Sharma (श्रीश बेंजवाल शर्मा)

ePandit: http://epandit.shrish.in/

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Feb 3, 2012, 10:22:28 PM2/3/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
There is a browser called 'SETT Hindi'. Install this and see websites in it. It shows devanAgarI very well.