Uddanda Sastri

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Jan 22, 2012, 12:43:48 AM1/22/12
to samskrita

Uddanda Sastri hailed from Kanchiipuram in Tamil Nad.
He had heard about Samoothiri of Tali, Kozhicode, Kerala,
as a patron of Sanskrit scholars.  In one of his first visit to
him he addressed him thus.

उद्दण्ड: परदण्डभैरव भवद्यात्रासु जैत्रश्रियो
हेतु: केतुरतीत्य सूर्यसरणीं गच्छन् निवार्यस्त्वया /
नो चेत् तत्पुटसंपुटॊदरलसत् शार्दूलमुद्राद्रवत्
सारंगं शशिबिंबमॆष्यति तुलां त्वत्प्रेयसीनां मुखै: //

Meaning is clear for those who know Sanskrit.

Probably he became knwon as Uddanda from this sloka.
Now no one knows his real name.

 P.K.Ramakrishnan http://peekayar.blogspot.com

Hnbhat B.R.

Jan 22, 2012, 1:38:57 AM1/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

2012/1/22 P.K.Ramakrishnan <peek...@yahoo.com>
This had been long ago posted and discussed in our group. This is the second time:

Thanks

Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,
Ecole française d'Extrême-OrientCentre de Pondichéry
16 & 19, Rue Dumas
Pondichéry - 605 001

P.K.Ramakrishnan

Jan 22, 2012, 1:45:14 AM1/22/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dr.Bhat for reminding about this which I had forgotten.

----------------------------------- P.K.Ramakrishnan http://peekayar.blogspot.com