Meaning of Madaalasaam

Sita Raama

Apr 7, 2012, 9:49:51 AM4/7/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
maaNikya veeNaa muphalaalayaMteeM
madaalasaaM maMjula vaagvilaasaaM
mahEMdra neeladyuti kOmalaaMgeeM
maataMgakanyaaM manasaa smaraami

In the above shloka, I do know the meaning of "Madaalasa". can somebody please let me its meaning and also how this word is derived from its roots.

regards
Raama

Ajit Gargeshwari

Apr 10, 2012, 12:19:17 PM4/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
This is a popular verse (at least in certain parts of the country) and is best handled with sensitivity in translation. I am not using Apte's translation.
On a Scholars recommendation

(ahaM) madAlasAM (devIM) manasA smarAmi.

I contemplate that Devi who is passionate, yet in a calm, relaxed state.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

Sita Raama

Apr 10, 2012, 12:44:54 PM4/10/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Ajitji,
Thank you for reply but I still did not get the meaning of Madalasam. Whats the root?
can you please explain the word "Madalasam" bit more clearly.

regards
Raama
--

सुलभाः पुरुषा राजन् सततम् प्रिय वादिनः | \\

अप्रियस्य च पथ्यस्य वक्ता श्रोता च दुर्लभः || Ramayanam || ३-३७-२ ||  & || ६-१६-२१ ||

Hnbhat B.R.

Apr 12, 2012, 7:11:36 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ajitji,
Thank you for reply but I still did not get the meaning of Madalasam. Whats the root?
can you please explain the word "Madalasam" bit more clearly.

regards
Raama

I don't understand why should you always look up into a root for any word you find. First get exposed to a considerable span of classical Sanskrit Literature with any commentary by which you should know many things that dictionaries or etymologies could provide.

Anyhow here is an attempt to explain the word in the context:

माद्यतीति मदः, "मदी हर्षे" दिवादिः, परस्मैपदी, सेट् - "मदोऽनुपसर्गे"(३.३.६७) इत्यप् प्रत्ययः। मदः। -

"मदो मुन्मोहसंभेदः" इति अभिधानचिन्तामणिः (देवकाण्डे २.३१२):

मुन्मोहयोः - आनन्द-संमोहयोः, संभेदः - संगमः = मदः;
मत्तता इत्यर्थः। intoxication.
उपसर्गे तु, उन्मादः इति पर्यायः तस्मादेव निष्पन्नः।

न लसति = व्याप्रियते इति अलसः, लस् - श्लेषण-क्रीडनयोः, भ्वादिः, परस्मैपदी, सेट् - अच्प्रत्यये नञ् समासः।  मन्थरः इत्यर्थ:
"अथालस्यः शीतकोऽलसः" इति च हेमचन्द्रः, शीतक इत्यर्थः। inactive, idle looking.

मदेन अलसा - मदालसा इति समासः।

Literally inactive, idle looking due to intoxication.

Here you are given the derivation from the root for both the words and the समास if you are wanting for them to make out a clearer meaning.

I leave it to you to make out the meaning in the context as you asked only for the word in the verse and I assume that you are well versed with the verse otherwise.

Hope now you can make out the meaning for the whole verse. Wish you all the best.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Hnbhat B.R.

Apr 12, 2012, 7:28:18 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
If you have not made out the description from the etymology and dictionary meaning given in my previous post, I assume that you have taken the verse from the श्यामलादण्डक - which describes the goddess श्यामला, as described in the दण्डक that follows the verse. Now to supplement the description, here is the similar description of श्यामला -

स्मरप्रथमपुष्पिणीं रुधिरबिन्दुनीलांबरां
गृहीतमधुपात्रिकां मदविघूर्णनॆत्राञ्चलाम्। घनस्तनभरोन्नतां गलितचूलिकां श्यामलां. त्रिलोचनकुटुम्बिनीं त्रिपुरसुन्दरीमाश्रयॆ॥६॥

Here you can see the translation:

but without derivation from the roots. the next makes it clear:

माता मरकतश्यामा मातङ्गी मदशालिनी ।
कुर्यात् कटाक्षं कल्याणी कदंबवनवासिनी ॥ ३ ॥ mātā marakataśyāmā mātaṅgī madaśālinī | kuryāt kaṭākṣaṁ kalyāṇī kadaṁbavanavāsinī || 3 ||

You can make in the first also:

मदेन आलसति - इति मदालसा = मदशालिनी equal to the meaning in the verse above which is मदेन शोभते इति मदशालिनी.

On the whole you have to familiarize yourself with poetic descriptions in the devotional literature to get the correct meaning. Not hanging up to etymology and dictionaries would do any more help.

Hnbhat B.R.

Apr 12, 2012, 7:33:18 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

माता मरकतश्यामा मातङ्गी मदशालिनी ।
कुर्यात् कटाक्षं कल्याणी कदंबवनवासिनी ॥ ३ ॥ mātā marakataśyāmā mātaṅgī madaśālinī | kuryāt kaṭākṣaṁ kalyāṇī kadaṁbavanavāsinī || 3 ||

You can make in the first also:

मदेन आलसति - इति मदालसा = मदशालिनी equal to the meaning in the verse above which is मदेन शोभते इति मदशालिनी.

On the whole you have to familiarize yourself with poetic descriptions in the devotional literature to get the correct meaning. Not hanging up to etymology and dictionaries would do any more help.

Here is the above verse set into musical composition:

Vimala Sarma

Apr 12, 2012, 8:32:27 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com

Rāma Mahodaya

It is a compound of madā (intoxication, beautiful fem noun) and ālasa (idle adj) the compound roughly means one (fem one who is languid from sensual enjoyment)

MW gives mfn. lazy from drunkenness , languid , indolent , slothful Ka1v.

(H1) मद् 2[p= 777,3][L=155288]

(cf. √ मन्द्cl.4 P. ( Dha1tup. xxvi , 99म्/आद्यति (ep. also °ते ; Ved. also cl.1. P. A1. मदति , °ते ; cl.3. P. मम्/अत्ति , °त्तु , मम्/अदत् , /अममदुः ;Ved. Impv. म्/अत्सि , °स्व ; pf. मम्/आद ; aor. अमादिषुः , अमत्सुः , अमत्त ; Subj. म्/अत्सति , °सत् ; fut. मदिता , मदिष्यति Gr. ; Ved. inf. मदितोस्) , to rejoice , be glad , exult , delight or revel in (instr. gen. loc. , rarely acc.) , be drunk (also fig.) with (instr.RV. &c  ;

to enjoy heavenly bliss (said of gods and deceased ancestors) RV. TBr.  ;

to boil , bubble (as water) RV. TS. S3Br. Hariv.  ;

to gladden , exhilarate , intoxicate , animate , inspire RV. Caus. माद्/अयति , °ते ( Dha1tup. xxxiii , 31 , xix , 54 ; aor. /अमीमदत् or अममदत् ; Ved. inf.मदय्/अध्यै) , to gladden , delight , satisfy , exhilarate , intoxicate , inflame , inspire RV. &c  ;

(A1.) to be glad , rejoice , be pleased or happy or at ease RV. VS. Kaus3.  ;

(A1.) to enjoy heavenly bliss RV. TBr. BhP. Desid. मिमदिष

Vimala Sarma

My new e-mail is sarma...@gmail.com

+612 9699 4414

+61 409 690 220

Ajit Gargeshwari

Apr 11, 2012, 11:21:37 PM4/11/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
It is Derived from the root word मद्. The grammatical derivation I leave it to other competent scholars to kindly explain.
Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

Sita Raama

Apr 12, 2012, 8:06:20 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dr. Bhat,
I really appreciate your feedback even though it sounded like you were frustrated about my inquiries about etymology.
Anyways just to answer your big "Why", a friend of mine is contemplating naming their school magazine "Madalasa"
I did not have any answers for him so decided to ask here.
once again thanks for your help
raama

Hnbhat B.R.

Apr 12, 2012, 9:19:10 AM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Sita Raama <raam...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dr. Bhat,
I really appreciate your feedback even though it sounded like you were frustrated about my inquiries about etymology.
Anyways just to answer your big "Why", a friend of mine is contemplating naming their school magazine "Madalasa"
I did not have any answers for him so decided to ask here.
once again thanks for your help
raama

For your reply to my big WHY, Kedar has got the answer which has been replied in earlier thread about naming:

And for the meaning, you can find a lot of meaning in the dictionary references given by Mme. Vimala and now the choice is yours and your friend.

By naming a magazine, it will be lazy or faltering in its progress, as the name suggests though gay and rejoicing itself.

332.gif

Ajit Gargeshwari

Apr 12, 2012, 1:22:48 PM4/12/12
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Dear Raama ji,

There are innumerable shlokas and poems I can say millions have been composed by various bhaktas
as a mark of devotion with great humility towards different Gods and Godesses. If one looks up a dictionary and try to translate these sholkas into a foreign language such as English, irrespective of the competence of the scholar the sense and original meaning is lost.

Bhava, emotion and sentiment of the composer can never be translated. I don't see the point how etymology and grammatical derivations of such words in such sholkas can help it will purely an academic or theoretical exercise.

There are several verses
which can have erotic or distasteful meaning for a superficial reader if the verses are removed from the context in which they are composed. I feel the best solution would be to develop a taste for such reading ideally the reader also one needs to be a Bhakta to understand Bhakti or devotion. The concept of Bhakti and such sholkas are personal to the composer and symbolizes a divine relationship a bhakta enjoys with his or her God.

One can ignore this mail as this is purely my view point.

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari

DEV RAJ

Apr 12, 2012, 5:41:11 AM4/12/12
to samskrita
*madAlasA*

मदालसा

मदा* लसा - mfn. lazy from drunkenness , languid , indolent , slothful
Ka1v.

मदा* लसा - f.N.of the daughter of the गन्धर्व विश्वा-वसु (carried off
by the दैत्य पाताल-केतु , and subsequently the wife of कुवलयाश्व)

मदा* लसा - f. N. of the daughter of the राक्षस भ्रमर-केतु Uttamac.

मदा* लसा - f. N. of a poetess Cat.

http://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/monier/

dev