दाशरथे meaning and formation

Gus Satya

Dec 19, 2011, 9:09:28 PM12/19/11
to samskrita
नमो नमः brothers and sisters,
I wish to know the meaning of दाशरथे in relation to दशरथ (father of
राम). Some sources says that दाशरथे means son of दशरथ. As well what's
the gramatical explanation of दाशरथे formation from दशरथ? Or even, is
दाशरथे a correct form?

धन्यवादाः
'गुस्सत्य'

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 19, 2011, 10:32:11 PM12/19/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The sources are correct. The grammatical etymology is दशरथस्य अपत्यं पुमान् - दाशरथिः - The male issue of दशरथ, i.e. the son of him. The vocative form of this word is दाशरथे.

--
Dr. Hari Narayana Bhat B.R. M.A., Ph.D.,
Research Scholar,

Subrahmanian R

Dec 20, 2011, 11:10:59 AM12/20/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Respected scholars,
The word दाशरथि appears to be योगरूढ शब्द as भरत लक्ष्मण शतृघ्ना: are not called दाशरथि. Is that so?
R Subrahmanian

Vimala Sarma

Dec 21, 2011, 4:43:36 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
The vriddhi form is the patronymic and refers to rAma and not his father.
Vimala

murthy

Dec 21, 2011, 6:04:57 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally, Valmki kas used the variant दाशरथ as in
प्रदीयतां दाशरथाय मैथिली
Regards
Murthy

Shreevatsa R

Dec 21, 2011, 9:24:58 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM, murthy <murt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Incidentally, Valmki kas used the variant दाशरथ as in
प्रदीयतां दाशरथाय मैथिली
Regards
Murthy

This is interesting... thanks.

Arguably, it is hard to say whether Valmiki used the form दाशरथ and correctly formed the dative case दाशरथाय, or used the form दाशरथि and incorrectly formed the dative case दाशरथाय.
Such mistakes in inflected forms are found in the epics occasionally, I think.

Regards,
Shreevatsa

Nityanand Misra

Dec 21, 2011, 11:27:00 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Both forms are correct. Apte's dictionary lists both and gives the same meaning.

दशरथ + इञ् results in दाशरथिः. The sutra is अत इञ् [तस्याऽपत्यं] (४.१.९५).

दशरथ + अण् results in दाशरथः. The relevant sutras are ४.१.११२ to ४.१.११९ which show when the अण् suffix is to be used for the offspring.

Now, I disagree with Shreevatsa Ji's statement. There are no mistakes in the language of Valmiki or Vyasa. What appear to be mistakes are either आर्ष/छान्दस प्रयोग or what is called अपाणिनीय प्रयोग (remember there are nine schools of grammar, and eight preceded Panini), or mistakes in our interpretation since we often are unable to grasp the गूढार्थ. Valmiki and Vyasa are सिद्धकविs, they cannot make mistakes.

I am reminded of an anecdote which was recited to me by Swami Avimukteshwarananda Saraswati, a close disciple of the Shankaracharya of Dwarika Swami Swaroopananda Saraswati. A man came to a temple of Shiva and said "गौरीशंकराभ्यांनमामि". People interpreted it as "गौरीशंकराभ्यां नमामि", started laughing saying the person does not know that नमामि goes with the accusative so it should be "गौरीशंकरौ नमामि" (I bow down to Gauri and Shankara). The man said I meant "गौरीशं कराभ्यां नमामि" (I bow down to the Lord of Gauri with both [folded] hands). Lot of times, the limitations of our interpretation make us think there are mistakes, when there are none.

Nityanand

Nityānanda Miśra
http://nmisra.googlepages.com

|| आत्मा तत्त्वमसि श्वेतकेतो ||
(Thou art from/for/of/in That Ātman, O Śvetaketu)
     - Ṛṣi Uddālaka to his son, Chāndogyopaniṣad 6.8.7, The Sāma Veda

Shreevatsa R

Dec 21, 2011, 11:55:27 AM12/21/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM, Nityanand Misra <nmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Both forms are correct. Apte's dictionary lists both and gives the same meaning.

दशरथ + इञ् results in दाशरथिः. The sutra is अत इञ् [तस्याऽपत्यं] (४.१.९५).

दशरथ + अण् results in दाशरथः. The relevant sutras are ४.१.११२ to ४.१.११९ which show when the अण् suffix is to be used for the offspring.

Thanks, that is informative.

Now, I disagree with Shreevatsa Ji's statement. There are no mistakes in the language of Valmiki or Vyasa. What appear to be mistakes are either आर्ष/छान्दस प्रयोग or what is called अपाणिनीय प्रयोग (remember there are nine schools of grammar, and eight preceded Panini), or mistakes in our interpretation since we often are unable to grasp the गूढार्थ. Valmiki and Vyasa are सिद्धकविs, they cannot make mistakes.

Yes, in that case there are no mistakes by definition. :-)

I agree; "mistake" was the wrong word to use. I should have said there exist forms in the epics that are different from those indicated by Panini's grammar. As you said, they can be called आर्ष प्रयोग, छान्दस प्रयोग or अपाणिनीय प्रयोग... thanks again. Either way, the point is that we mortals cannot always use the forms in the epics to decide what is "correct" according to Panini's grammar.

murthy

Dec 22, 2011, 5:07:15 AM12/22/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the anecdote. Mishraji. Very nice indeed.
Regards
Murthy

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 22, 2011, 6:13:36 AM12/22/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally I was discussing this very point with a teacher... Since both derivations 'dAsharathi' and 'dAsharathA' are valid, I was wondering if one of them actually stood for a 'purusha vishesha.' Like, for example, 'shUrpaNakhA' stands only for Ravana's sister, whereas 'shUrpanakhI' stands for anyone who has nails like shUrpas.

Similarly, can it be said that 'dAsharathI' stands only for Raja Dasharatha's son, Rama, while 'dAsharatha' could stand for anyone so described?

Aditya B.S.A

Dec 22, 2011, 10:56:13 AM12/22/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I meant 'dAsharathah'

Gus Satya

Dec 22, 2011, 6:47:09 PM12/22/11
to samskrita
नमः सर्वेभ्यः
Thanks for responses, as well further I'll learn more about the
indicated sutras.

धन्यवादाः
'गुस्सत्य'

On Dec 22, 12:27 am, Nityanand Misra <nmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Both forms are correct. Apte's dictionary lists both and gives the same
> meaning.
>
> दशरथ + इञ् results in दाशरथिः. The sutra is अत इञ् [तस्याऽपत्यं] (४.१.९५).
>
> दशरथ + अण् results in दाशरथः. The relevant sutras are ४.१.११२ to ४.१.११९
> which show when the अण् suffix is to be used for the offspring.

> Nityanand

Hnbhat B.R.

Dec 27, 2011, 5:53:08 AM12/27/11
to sams...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting observations. The question had been raised already in Kashika commentary and the commentators justify in two ways. दशरथस्यायम् [पुत्र:] - दाशरथः, तस्मै; "तस्येदम्" इत्यण्। but the meaning his son Rama is being implied and not directly denoted by the word though grammatically correct.

The grammatical form giving directly the son of दशरथ will be दाशरथिः, तस्मै - दाशरथये would mean any son of दशरथ, but the context restricts it to his elder son राम who broke the शैवधनु.

सैष दाशरथी रामः

would be perfect usage, in spite of दाशरथि implying the son of दशरथ.

This is attested by the usage of Valmiki:\

Rām, Bā, 73, 22.2
rāmaṃ dāśarathiṃ rāmo jāmadagnyo 'bhyabhāṣata //

"Rama, the son of Jamadagni, said to Rama, the son of Dasaratha."

Otherwise there is no compelling restriction to elder son only.

  • Rām, Yu, 9, 21.2
    sṛjatyamoghān viśikhān vadhāya te pradīyatāṃ dāśarathāya maithilī //