New Site, Roadmap and more

Aaron Quint

Jan 26, 2011, 5:56:34 PM1/26/11
to sam...@googlegroups.com
Hello Friends, Nerds and Enthusiasts

A couple of big announcments/calls for help.

1) New Site: http://sammyjs.org is now live! This is the first place
I'm linking it up, though, for very specific reasons. I want to share
it with you all first to solicit feedback and also get some help on
the spelling/grammar/error correction front. Obviously fixing a
spelling mistake is not as glamorous a patch as submitting a feature
or fixing a bug in the code, but it is GREATLY appreciated. The site
is open source (of course) and is a simple sinatra app. Most of the
text is in .textile and should be easy to find/correct, though let me
know if you need help.
http://github.com/quirkey/sammyjs-org

This is also a great time to add yourself and your company/app to the
wiki if you haven't yet.

2) Release and Road map: 0.6.3 is prepped and ready to go, and I plan
on pushing it tomorrow once I've collected some corrections to the new
site. There are two sort of big features/changes I've been working on
and this is how I see them happening in terms of releases. If you have
opinions, let me know:
0.7 ~Late February
- Rewriting the hash/location proxy so that the default is more
flexible. Specifically, allowing routing on the full URL and hopefully
having a way to seemlesly handle the new pushState API. This will
probably be a breaking change for a number of apps.
- Rewriting Sammy.Store/Storage to be 100% asynchronous. There have
been a bunch of conversations about this, and I think its the correct
move. Of course its nice to have the 'ease' of a
synchronous/callbackless API but it makes abstractions a lot harder.
By making the API callback based, it will allow you to write
remote/ajax based Sammy.Store adapters (like ones for RESTful
resources or CouchDB). This will definitely break any application
thats currently using Sammy.Store, so 0.7 will come with a lot of
warnings.

0.8 ~ March
- Sammy for everyone - This is already in progress, but the biggest
request of all time was to make Sammy work with framework X (thats not
jQuery). This is going to happen and is actually not that far off. I'm
going to lean on the community to help with integrating/building
adapters for the various frameworks so if you're a Dojo or YUI or
MooTools or Prototype or other framework developer, please let me
know.

1.0 ~ April (By JSConf is the goal)
- I dont think there will really be too many changes between 0.8 and
1.0 other than fixes for the adapters and other frameworks and general
cleanup. 1.0 means I cant just mess with the API willy nilly anymore
so I'm taking this pretty seriously.

3) Meetup in SF - I'm hoping to plan an informal San Francisco
Sammy.js meetup/drinkup sometime in February. What days of the week
are good for people?

4) SWAG! I'm in process of ordering some stickers with the new logo.
I'll work out the details of getting them to people soon - but keep
your ears peeled for info about getting them.

Thanks everyone! 2011 promises to be a big year for Sammy.js

--AQ

Rich Manalang

Jan 26, 2011, 6:15:44 PM1/26/11
to sam...@googlegroups.com
Dude, 9 spelling errors!  Forking and fixing.  Spellcheck sounds like a good git commit hook. :)

Anyway, excellent news, Aaron.  Thanks for this!

Rich

Aaron Quint

Jan 26, 2011, 6:27:09 PM1/26/11
to sam...@googlegroups.com
Havent integrated spellcheck into my new vim workflow. Thanks!
--AQ

Samuel MORELLO

Jan 27, 2011, 5:25:09 AM1/27/11
to sam...@googlegroups.com