Georgia Tech resource shifting focus

1 view

Clay Fenlason

Jan 4, 2010, 5:43:23 PM1/4/10
to sakai-...@googlegroups.com
I'm speaking below with my Georgia Tech hat on. I've had a couple
conversations off-list about this, but as a matter of community
practice I wanted to be clear about GT intentions on-list as well.

Carl and Stuart are going to start assisting on the UX development
work, working with Oszkar, Christian and others in implementing Sam's
designs and then eventually wiring them to K2 as well. To a first
order the goal is to accelerate the UI implementation, but my
preferred way of viewing it is that they'll start pressing on K2 from
above (as opposed to stepping away from K2 work). Where they find that
the UI calls for bug-fixing or new service support in K2, they'll be
in a position to roll up their sleeves and go under the hood.

We're also expecting this situation to evolve with the needs of the
overall effort. What drives this shift of approach is my impression
that K2 is ahead at the moment, and the UX work needs to get out in
front again. If that changes, or if I'm just wrong about this, we'll
adjust accordingly and try to find a better balance. I'm conscious of
the fact that this move leaves K2 even more severely understaffed, and
have no wish to leave Ian twisting in the wind.

~Clay

P.S. I'm also of course hoping that more dedicated community resource
will begin to be able to help round out our teams, and part of my
calculus is the thought that Java developers coming from S2 will more
often want to start working with K2 directly.