Proposed Sahana Translation sprint @ Sarai, New Delhi.

1 view

Ajay Kumar

Oct 20, 2008, 4:38:40 PM10/20/08
to Sahana Localization
Hi,
So far the progress on the Hindi translations have reached till 61% .
Thanks to the contributors who have worked on this with me! :-)
We are proposing to have a translation sprint [possibly a day long]
activity to work on the Sahana Hindi translations primarily. [open to
other languages, provided we have volunteers].

I have talked to the people at Sarai, New Delhi for this and they have
agreed to host it :-). Although I do need to send a formal email and
get their approval, but talking to Mr. Gora Mohanty on IRC he seemed
positive about it for 8th November, the tentative date I proposed.
Sarai is a programme of CSDS - The Centre for the Study of Developing
Societies. CSDS is an autonomous research institution. They actively
promote FLOSS activities and projects as well.
More details: http://www.sarai.net

The main objective of the Sprint would be to have all translators work
on the translation together in a dedicated & collaborative manner
using the Web Translation tool to increase the amount of translation
done for the Sahana project.

We are expecting translation experts from the Indic translation
community to participate and guide through the process and help with
the Quality of the contributions too.

The main objective would be to complete the Hindi translations and
check for the quality. The focus being on the latter, i.e. not on
quantity but quality.

Proposed Date: 08 November 2008.
Time: TBD
Venue: Sarai, New Delhi. [http://www.sarai.net] for directions etc.
Venue 2: #sahana on irc.freenode.net [for Online contributors
interested in participating]

Like I said, if we can have other language maintainers and translators
interested in joining in on the same day, we can have it on a larger
scale for the other languages as well. It would be fun to see some
action going on IRC :-)

Open to discussion and suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Ajay Kumar

"I code for SAHANA. Do you?"

http://ajuonline.net

Ajay Kumar

Oct 21, 2008, 2:46:52 AM10/21/08
to Sahana Localization
Hi,
In addition let me clarify further that:
1. The sprint is open for other languages.
2. Translators/Maintainers of other languages can very well
collaborate on the same day and we all hang around the IRC channel on
this particular day.
We use the IRC channel for communication.
3. Use of the Pootle Server i.e. the online translation engine is not
mandatory, people are feel free to use whatever translation tool they
use and do it offline.
But for collaboration and communication, so that others are aware
which parts you are translating, we should communicate it to other
participants as well. IRC Channel will serve the purpose for that.

We have few Hindi contributors participation confirmed, however, it
would be nice if the other language translators can take lead and
participate on the same day :-)

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 21, 2008, 2:57:10 AM10/21/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!
where is the bihar customised sahana...how much it is translated?
Please update about that one.

2008/10/21 Ajay Kumar <ajuo...@gmail.com>
--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

Ajay Kumar

Oct 21, 2008, 3:04:43 AM10/21/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
HI Rajesh,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Rajesh Ranjan <raje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks!
> where is the bihar customised sahana...how much it is translated?
> Please update about that one.

The changes made to Sahana for the Bihar deployment have not been
merged back to the main trunk I suppose. We will wait for the IBM team
to submit back any changes or additions they have made.
So I am assuming the translations to be done are same so far, as the
version 0.6.2 stable.
We also have the latest RC release out but that is still time, I will
wait for Dominic to respond to that aspect and how do we proceed about
freezing on which version to translate.

As of now its 0.6.2-stable.

Regards,
AJ

Dominic

Oct 21, 2008, 4:10:32 AM10/21/08
to Sahana Localization
Hello AJ, Rajesh,

sound like a good attempt to push the Hindi translation ahead.

Regarding the Bihar release: up to now we have no special Bihar
release available for translation, up to now it would be just the same
as 0.6.2. Regarding the latest Sahana release candidate: we will start
the translation once the release is considered stable.

However, it makes sense to translate 0.6.2 since I will merge all
applicable strings from this release into any further translations.

The Hindi translation of the 0.6.2 release currently stagnates at 61%
of the words, which is 78% of the strings, though!
Currently remaining untranslated:

Part 1: 20 strings (376 words, av. 19 per string), suggested priority
rank: 2, est. effort: 2 hours
Part 2: 71 strings (1076 words, av. 15 per string), suggested priority
rank: 5, est. effort: 4 hours
Part 3: 44 strings (563 words, av. 13 per string), suggested priority
rank: 6, est. effort: 3 hours
Part 4: 67 strings (291 words, av. 4 per string), suggested priority
rank: 7, est. effort: 4 hours
Part 5: 175 strings (1264 words, av. 7 per string), suggested priority
rank: 1, est. effort: 8 hours
Part 6: 153 strings (1083 words, av. 7 per string), suggested priority
rank: 3, est. effort: 8 hours
Part 7: 49 strings (892 words, av. 18 per string), suggested priority
rank: 4, est. effort: 3 hours
Part 8: completed

I've added a suggestion for a priority rank and an estimated time
effort per translator (best case) to each, which you can take to plan
the sprint. The total estimated effort is suggested as 32 hours (best
case), so you can perhaps push the Hindi branch to 88-92% within 4
hours (provided that you have enough participiants).

For offline work, I would recommend poEdit (MS Windows) or KBabel
(KDE) as PO editing tools.

Good luck with it!
Dominic

Ajay Kumar

Oct 21, 2008, 5:19:27 AM10/21/08
to Sahana Localization
*** Important update ***

The date is now 1st November 2008. tentatively. As I figured I have an
international conference at college to attend. Sorry for it slipped
from my mind. We were notified about the exact date today.

Proposed Date: 01 November 2008.

Ajay Kumar

Oct 21, 2008, 7:31:27 AM10/21/08
to Sahana Localization
*** Important update ***

Confirmed Date/Time: 01 November 2008.
Time: 11 AM - 6 PM [ IST/GMT +0530]

Venue: CSDS Seminar Room.
Sarai, New Delhi. [http://www.sarai.net] for directions etc. [In case
your in Delhi]
Venue 2: #sahana on irc.freenode.net [for Online contributors
interested in participating]

Sarai has confirmed the date/time and space for the event. Thanks to
Mr. Gora Mohanty.

Other translators are encouraged to participate via IRC :-) and
collaborate among themselves on the same day to push forward the
quality of translations.

Thanks & Regards,
AJ

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 23, 2008, 4:20:54 AM10/23/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dominic and Ajay,

I downloaded the zip files and starting traslating Part 5: 175 strings (1264 words, av. 7 per string), suggested priority
rank: 1, est. effort: 8 hours...

If any questions please let me know because for me it will be easier to translate just the po file...after translating I will send the po file here.

Ajay Kumar

Oct 23, 2008, 5:28:37 AM10/23/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rajesh,

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rajesh Ranjan <raje...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded the zip files and starting traslating Part 5: 175 strings (1264
> words, av. 7 per string), suggested priority
> rank: 1, est. effort: 8 hours...

Great!

> If any questions please let me know because for me it will be easier to
> translate just the po file...after translating I will send the po file here.

Noone is working on part 5 at the moment. So you can surely go ahead
and do it as per your convenience, i.e. offline.
I suggest you take a look at the words already translated so that
consistency is maintained.
You can do that by using the web interface also.

Regards,
AJ

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 23, 2008, 5:47:20 AM10/23/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ajay!
Please find the file translated...I tried to keep with the older one...but the older one also seems to have several problem.

We will track those things in Sarai meet....becuase whole lot of terminology is very new compared to general software translation.

One imp thing to add here ... for the commonly used words Hindi community has decided to use these words

https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki/fuel-hindi

it is the evaluated list. And based on a FUEL project https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki

--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

2008/10/23 Ajay Kumar <ajuo...@gmail.com>
sahana-5.po

Dominic

Oct 23, 2008, 6:06:49 AM10/23/08
to Sahana Localization
Thanks, Rajesh,

uploaded the file to the Pootle for further review.

Regarding the Sahana special terminology:
Christiane Jost (translator from Brazil) is working on a complete
glossary for Sahana, providing terminology hinting for all special
terms and the untranslatable strings. We will publish this glossary to
the Sahana Translation Wiki, expected for the next two or three weeks.
Additionally, we are now using terminology hinting on the Pootle,
which shows up translation suggestions during online editing - this
can also help to ensure consistency. To get this to work, the file
pootle-terminology.po has to be translated into the target language,
and put back to the Pootle.

Any technical problems with the Pootle files? Should rather not,
however, please report errors to the tracker.

Thanks again for the fast work - great job so far! Good to have you on
board again :-)

Kind regards,
Dominic

Ajay Kumar

Oct 23, 2008, 6:24:49 AM10/23/08
to Sahana Localization
Sounds great! :-)
Thanks Rajesh!

On Oct 23, 2:47 pm, "Rajesh Ranjan" <rajesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We will track those things in Sarai meet....becuase whole lot of terminology
> is very new compared to general software translation.

Sure..

> One imp thing to add here ... for the commonly used words Hindi community
> has decided to use these words
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki/fuel-hindi
>
> it is the evaluated list. And based on a FUEL projecthttps://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki

This is great.. :-)
Good to have you back :D

Regards,
AJ

Ramana Murthy

Oct 23, 2008, 7:41:07 AM10/23/08
to Sahana Localization
Dear all,
Few of us at CDAC, Electronics city are planning to work on
development of additional modules including integration with GPRS
mobiles and also plan to contribute for localization to hindi. The
proposed translation sprint would be helpful for new entrants.
with regards,
Meka Venkata Ramana
murthy

Ajay Kumar

Oct 23, 2008, 3:22:53 PM10/23/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Hi, for introduction to translation you can take a look at the wiki
page link on translate.sahana.lk . You can also take a look at the
small startup guide i wrote here tinyurl.com/sahana-hindi . I'd be
interested to know more about what are you guys planning to do for
Sahana mobile. I'm working on the project to have Sahana on
smartphones. Would be keen to know what are you guys planning.
Regards, Ajay

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 24, 2008, 2:00:07 AM10/24/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Please find another file - Part 1: 20 strings (376 words, av. 19 per string), suggested priority
rank: 2, est. effort: 2 hours and merge it!

--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan
www.kramashah.blogspot.com

2008/10/23 Ajay Kumar <ajuo...@gmail.com>

sahana-1.po

Dominic

Oct 24, 2008, 3:07:19 AM10/24/08
to Sahana Localization
Done! Thanks a lot!

Are you going to prepare all files, so that just review and finetune
are left for the Sarai meeting?

Impressive progress, you just outpaced the Arabic team ;-)

Kind regards,
Dominic

On 24 Okt, 08:00, "Rajesh Ranjan" <rajesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please find another file - Part 1: 20 strings (376 words, av. 19 per
> string), suggested priority
> rank: 2, est. effort: 2 hours and merge it!
>
> --
> Regards,
> Rajesh Ranjanwww.kramashah.blogspot.com
>
> 2008/10/23 Ajay Kumar <ajuonl...@gmail.com>
>

> > Sounds great! :-)
> > Thanks Rajesh!
>
> > On Oct 23, 2:47 pm, "Rajesh Ranjan" <rajesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > We will track those things in Sarai meet....becuase whole lot of
> > terminology
> > > is very new compared to general software translation.
>
> > Sure..
>
> > > One imp thing to add here ... for the commonly used words Hindi community
> > > has decided to use these words
>
> > >https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki/fuel-hindi
>
> > > it is the evaluated list. And based on a FUEL projecthttps://
> > fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki
>
> > This is great.. :-)
> > Good to have you back :D
>
> > Regards,
> > AJ
>

> sahana-1.po
> 103KVisaHämta

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 24, 2008, 3:17:28 AM10/24/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dominic!

I am planning to complete all files because it will be very difficult to do translation and review in one single days.
So will be better if we have translation part completed before the sprint :-)

Sarai is having great history of doing review for software translation and I hope this will again be a great experience.

--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 24, 2008, 4:20:40 AM10/24/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
sending Part 6: 153 strings (1083 words, av. 7 per string), suggested priority
rank: 3, est. effort: 8 hours - completely translated!

Thanks for your help in merging translation!

--
Regards,
Rajesh Ranjan

2008/10/24 Rajesh Ranjan <raje...@gmail.com>
sahana-6.po

Rajesh Ranjan

Oct 24, 2008, 5:54:07 AM10/24/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
One more file for sahana!

2008/10/24 Dominic <dominic...@googlemail.com>
sahana-4.po

Dominic

Oct 25, 2008, 1:52:45 AM10/25/08
to Sahana Localization
Done, files 4 and 6 are online, too.

82% so far ;-)

Dominic

Ajay Kumar

Oct 29, 2008, 7:15:46 AM10/29/08
to Sahana Localization
Hi Murthy,

On Oct 23, 4:41 pm, Ramana Murthy <ramanamurth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Few of us at CDAC, Electronics city are  planning to work on
> development of additional modules including integration with GPRS
> mobiles and also plan to contribute for localization to hindi. The
> proposed translation sprint would be helpful for new entrants.

Will anyone of you be joining us at the sprint? Kindly confirm on the
list.

Best Regards,

Ajay Kumar

Oct 30, 2008, 5:48:37 PM10/30/08
to Sahana Localization
Hi everyone,

To update everyone again:

Date: 01 November 2008.

Time: 11 AM to 6 PM [IST/GMT+0530]

Venue: Sarai, New Delhi. [http://www.sarai.net] for directions etc.

Venue 2: #sahana on irc.freenode.net [for Online contributors
interested in participating for ANY language ]

Plan of action for the sprint
1. Complete Hindi translations. Take 82% --> 100%
2. Review/Quality check for Hindi translations.
- Install Sahana locally with the Hindi locale and check through the
application.
- Fix any errors identified.

People attending:
- there will be few of us physically present at the venue.
- Others joining in over IRC in #sahana
- bn and/or bn_IN team contributors also expected to participate
online.
- core team from LSF also expected to be present online :-)

What to expect at the venue/irc?
- fun
- talk
- samosas/snacks [we could dcc-send it over the IRC ;) ]
- FOSS-dome in action :-)

Open to suggestions to improve the quality and process of
localizations.

Links for reference:
1. http://translate.sahana.lk
2. http://tinyurl.com/sahana-hindi

graydot

Oct 31, 2008, 6:59:22 AM10/31/08
to Sahana Localization
I plan to be there.

Ajay Kumar

Oct 31, 2008, 10:23:17 AM10/31/08
to sahana-lo...@googlegroups.com
Dominic, Can you please provide links to threads that contain
instructions to get started with translation to Sahana for the first
timers. Here on this thread. In case I missed them. Regards, Ajay