[Fwd: Fwd: WFP Initial Assessment Report, Significant Flood forecast for next 24 hours and Details of Schools Where Flood Affectees are Settled in KPK]

Mark Prutsalis

Aug 11, 2010, 2:19:55 PM8/11/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Any interest in putting up a hosted instance of Sahana Eden for those interested in the Pakistan flood response?

Darlene (@opentechgirl) is part of the Crisis Commons community and is looking to put Sahana or Ushahidi or something to use.  Volunteers should be able to handle the data entry/maintenance given a little guidance.

They were generally looking as to how flood reports or tallies of displaced people who are in schools be added into Sahana and some details are below that come from a WFP assessment.  It would be great to do some creative crisis mapping with this sort of data.

From monitoring the Crisis Mappers list, it seems that a person finder application is slow going as well, so that might be a role for Sahana.

Myself, am off the net for the next four weeks, so am leaving this to the community to decide to support.

Best regards,
Mark

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:04:45 -0600
From: Liaqat Hussain <lia...@userful.com>
To: Darlene Parker <dpa...@userful.com>

Please find attached the following important reports FYI and flood response planning purpose.
  • WFP's Initial Assessment in 11 Districts of KPK. Please find the below the summary of the report, presentation and detailed report is attached.

  • Detailed report of schools where flood affectees are settled in KPK
  • Significant Flood Forecast  for Indus River at Tarbela, Kala Bagh and Chashma for the period of 09/08/10 (1700 hrs) - 10/ 08/10 (1700 hrs) and water flow monitoring report from Hydrology Irrigation Division is also attached.

--
==================================
Mark Prutsalis

Fran Boon

Aug 11, 2010, 2:37:04 PM8/11/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com, dpa...@userful.com
On 11 August 2010 19:19, Mark Prutsalis <ma...@sahanafoundation.org> wrote:
> Any interest in putting up a hosted instance of Sahana Eden for those interested in the Pakistan flood response?

If there is interest in making use of it, then of course we should
support that: Pakistan is unfortunately the largest crisis since the
UN began & isn't receiving the donor attention that Haiti did, so if
we can be useful in any way then we would be failing in our mission
not to try.

> Darlene (@opentechgirl) is part of the Crisis Commons community and is looking to put Sahana or Ushahidi or something to use.  Volunteers should be able to handle
> the data entry/maintenance given a little guidance.
> They were generally looking as to how flood reports or tallies of displaced people who are in schools be added into Sahana and some details are below that come from a WFP > assessment.  It would be great to do some creative crisis mapping with this sort of data.

I'll see if we can knock up a quick module for this data...
I wonder if we can try the new Spreadsheet importer :)
(Shame we don't have 1 for PDF - not sure how possible such a beast would be)

> From monitoring the Crisis Mappers list, it seems that a person finder application is slow going as well, so that might be a role for Sahana.

Google have, again, released a localised data entry tool which
presumably we could access via PFIF to provide value-add services.

> Myself, am off the net for the next four weeks, so am leaving this to the community to decide to support.

Well, I'm definitely in - will set the server instance up (quick job),
be available for customisation & guidance.

Best Wishes,
Fran.

Dominic König

Aug 11, 2010, 2:47:27 PM8/11/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Den Wednesday 11 August 2010 20:37:04 skrev Fran Boon:
> > Myself, am off the net for the next four weeks, so am leaving this to the
> > community to decide to support.
>
> Well, I'm definitely in - will set the server instance up (quick job),
> be available for customisation & guidance.

I'll be back on Sunday evening to join any efforts.

Dominic

signature.asc

Gavin Treadgold

Aug 11, 2010, 4:55:41 PM8/11/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
I will also do what I can, although I am traveling a little over the next 4 days.

Cheers Gav

Fran Boon

Aug 11, 2010, 7:49:13 PM8/11/10
On 11 August 2010 19:37, Fran Boon <franc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm definitely in - will set the server instance up (quick job),
> be available for customisation & guidance.

I have set up an instance & have developed a module which takes in the
3 sorts of data from the attachments.

Coordination page with link to the live site:
http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/Pakistan

What we need now is Data Entry - although I have also highlighted a
few programming tasks - 1 bug & a few quick features.

Assistance welcomed :)

Pat Tressel

Aug 12, 2010, 12:02:12 AM8/12/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com, dpa...@userful.com
Fran --

Coordination page with link to the live site:
http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/Pakistan

What we need now is Data Entry - although I have also highlighted a
few programming tasks - 1 bug & a few quick features.

Assistance welcomed :)

Do you have any pointers as to where the reports might be found?  Or is looking for them part of the job?  You also mentioned,  on #sahana-eden, looking for RSS feeds.  Some possible sources are linked from the CrisisCommons page.  Tasks can also be posted to that page.

http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Pakistan/2010_Floods

I wonder if we can try the new Spreadsheet importer :)
(Shame we don't have 1 for PDF - not sure how possible such a beast would be)

There are a number of PDF conversion tools, under names like xpdf, pdf2xml, pdf2html, pdftohtml.  Some are apps, but could be exec'd.

-- Pat

Fran Boon

Aug 12, 2010, 3:40:18 AM8/12/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On 12 August 2010 05:02, Pat Tressel <ptre...@myuw.net> wrote:
>> Coordination page with link to the live site:
>> http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/Pakistan
>> What we need now is Data Entry - although I have also highlighted a
>> few programming tasks - 1 bug & a few quick features.
>> Assistance welcomed :)
> Do you have any pointers as to where the reports might be found?  Or is
> looking for them part of the job?

They were attached to Mark's 1st post in this thread.

> You also mentioned,  on #sahana-eden,
> looking for RSS feeds.  Some possible sources are linked from the
> CrisisCommons page.

> http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Pakistan/2010_Floods

I can't see any RSS feeds there

> Tasks can also be posted to that page.

Please do, thanks ;)

>> I wonder if we can try the new Spreadsheet importer :)
>> (Shame we don't have 1 for PDF - not sure how possible such a beast would
>> be)
> There are a number of PDF conversion tools, under names like xpdf, pdf2xml,
> pdf2html, pdftohtml.  Some are apps, but could be exec'd.

Feel free to add to the BluePrint :)
http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/BluePrintImporter

Pat Tressel

Aug 12, 2010, 6:46:39 AM8/12/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Fran --

Do you have any pointers as to where the reports might be found?
They were attached to Mark's 1st post in this thread.

Aha!  (My ISP regards anything named .zip as dangerous and had warnings on the attachments. ;-)

You also mentioned,  on #sahana-eden, looking for RSS feeds.  Some possible sources are linked from the CrisisCommons page.
I can't see any RSS feeds there

Sorry -- the RSS sentence was an aside, independent of the rest of the paragraph.

Tasks can also be posted to that page.

Please do, thanks ;)

;-)  Let met try it first...

I wonder if we can try the new Spreadsheet importer :)
Shame we don't have 1 for PDF - not sure how possible such a beast would be)
There are a number of PDF conversion tools, under names like xpdf, pdf2xml, pdf2html, pdftohtml.  Some are apps, but could be exec'd.

Feel free to add to the BluePrint :)
http://eden.sahanafoundation.org/wiki/BluePrintImporter

Ok.

-- Pat