list/listadd Proposal

Fran Boon

Jul 4, 2010, 9:29:49 AM7/4/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
Currently:
We have a default shn_rest_controller() producing 'listadd' pages for
users with rights to add new records
This was done to speed data entry by providing the next create form
whilst ensuring that user gets a confirmation of the new record having
been created succesfully
A 'listadd' option is available to allow developers to choose to just
display the 'list' view by itself.
The default 'read' method for users who can edit a record is the
update form for that record
- again this was done to speed data entry.

Proposal:
list should always give list
listadd should be removed
read should always give read (not update)
create _next should be read default (for user to get a
confirmation that the record has been added & allow them to check it)
Proposed Implementation
read/update/create should be pulled together to save round-trips
to the server
create new crud-like method to prepare the 1 item & 2 forms
from a single DB call
buttons at the top to hide/unhide sections (CSS for speed) or delete
use arg to decide which should be the default unhidden

Your thoughts are welcomed as this will take a fair amount of work to
implement, so we want to ensure this design meets the needs optimally.

Thanks to all Campers for helping to develop this proposal :)

Pat Tressel

Jul 4, 2010, 10:07:12 AM7/4/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com

Proposal:

   read should always give read (not update)
   create _next should be read default (for user to get a
confirmation that the record has been added & allow them to check it)

Yes, please!!

Bringing up the edit form *sometimes* (e.g. based on logged in or authorized) is "surprising" and it's a fundamental principle of UI design that it should not surprise the user.

Bringing up the edit form when the user has not asked for it and has no way to get rid of it leaves them without a way to get a readable copy of the info.

If the user has no need for the edit form, it's an unnecessary risk to display it -- it might lead to accidental changes.

-- Pat

Fran Boon

Jul 4, 2010, 11:53:42 AM7/4/10
to sahan...@googlegroups.com
On 4 July 2010 19:37, Pat Tressel <ptre...@myuw.net> wrote:
> Yes, please!!

I thought you'd like it - forgot to thank you & Dominic as well as the
Campers for this proposal coming together...