mc.exe missing in Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition

logical american

Jul 24, 2009, 8:15:50 PM7/24/09
to sage-w...@googlegroups.com
To all:

This is in regard to building sage from source code under python 2.6.   My build failed after a call to the missing mc.exe message compiler

My VC++ 2008 Express is missing the mc.exe file despite Microsoft claims to the contrary!  I am downloading, and repairing this installation to see if it picks up the missing message compiler.  I may have to uninstall and do a fresh install.

Type Bug ID 374833
Status Closed (By Design) Access Restriction Public
Opened By wva Blocking Issue No
Opened 10/10/2008 Submission Language English
Resolved 2/3/2009 1:31:53 PM

Description
The version of Windows SDK that is delivered with Visual Studio 2008 does not contain message compiler mc.exe. This is a pity, because many projects (in my case MySQL) would build perfectly with VS2008 Express, if only mc.exe was there. Sure, I checked 6.1 SDK, it contains the file, but installing 200+MB SDK to only get mc.exe is an overkill. Note, that ithout MC there is no clean way to define own even log messages and report them via ReportEvent, so having MC in the SDK feels important to me.
Comments
Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.

Thank you,
Visual Studio Product Team
 Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2008 at 2:07 AM
Hello-
Please accept my apologies. We passed on your request to the owner of the Express produts last fall to see if he would consider the addition of mc.exe into the Express products, but I realize now that I never updated you with that information.

They have yet to make the final determination on which files will be included in the next release of the Visual Studio Express products, but should be doing so in the coming months. For now please continue to leverage either the 6.1 Windows SDK or the recently released Win7 Beta SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A91DC12A-FC94-4027-B67E-46BAB7C5226C&displaylang=en) for the latest version of mc.exe.

Thank you,
Lisa
Windows SDK Program Manager
 Posted by Microsoft on 2/3/2009 at 1:12 PM
Thank you for your suggestion on including mc.exe in the VC++ Visual Studio Express product. I wanted to follow up and let you know that we have received approval to include this tool in the upcoming release of Visual Studio. Thank you for taking the time to suggest its inclusion.

Thanks
Lisa Rugen
Windows SDK Program Manager
 Posted by Microsoft on 3/27/2009 at 2:21 PM
Product Language
English
Version
Visual C#, C++, J#, or Visual Basic Express Service Pack 1
Operating System
Windows XP Professional
Operating System Language
English
Steps to Reproduce
C:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\mc.exe"
Actual Results

Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
File Not Found
Expected Results

Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
01/16/2008 05:21 PM 367,104 MC.Exe

Source URL http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=374833

bsdz

Jul 25, 2009, 7:49:30 AM7/25/09
to sage-windows
I think you need to install the Windows SDK with the VC++ Express
product to get similar functionality to VC++ Professional. The message
compiler (MC) should be in the SDK.

On 25 July, 01:15, logical american <website.read...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> Thanks
> Lisa Rugen
> Windows SDK Program Manager
>
>  Posted byMicrosofton 3/27/2009 at 2:21 PM
>
> Product Language
>
> English
>
> Version
>
> Visual C#, C++, J#, or Visual Basic Express Service Pack 1
>
> Operating System
>
> Windows XP Professional
>
> Operating System Language
>
> English
>
> Steps to Reproduce
>
> C:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin\mc.exe"
>
> Actual Results
>

> Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
> File Not Found
>
> Expected Results
>

> Directory of C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin

J Elaych

Jul 25, 2009, 7:27:06 PM7/25/09
to sage-windows
I'm glad someone brought this up because I didn't see
that we could develop with the Express version. If
it works to just use the Express + SDK then more
of us will be able to contribute. I'm downloading now.

On Jul 25, 4:49 am, bsdz <blai...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think you need to install the Windows SDK with the VC++ Express
> product to get similar functionality to VC++ Professional. The message
> compiler (MC) should be in the SDK.
>
> On 25 July, 01:15, logical american <website.read...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > To all:
> > This is in regard to building sage from source code under python 2.6.   My build failed after a call to the missing mc.exe message compiler
> > My VC++ 2008 Express is missing the mc.exe file despite Microsoft claims to the contrary!  I am downloading, and repairing this installation to see if it picks up the missing message compiler.  I may have to uninstall and do a fresh install.TypeBugID374833StatusClosed(By Design)Access RestrictionPublicOpened BywvaBlocking IssueNoOpened10/10/2008Submission LanguageEnglishResolved2/3/2009 1:31:53 PMDescription
>
> > The version of Windows SDK that is delivered with Visual Studio 2008 does not contain message compiler mc.exe. This is a pity, because many projects (in my case MySQL) would build perfectly with VS2008 Express, if only mc.exe was there. Sure, I checked 6.1 SDK, it contains the file, but installing 200+MB SDK to only get mc.exe is an overkill. Note, that ithout MC there is no clean way to define own even log messages and report them via ReportEvent, so having MC in the SDK feels important to me.
>
> > Comments
>
> > Thanks for your feedback. We are escalating this bug to the product unit who works on that specific feature area. The team will review this issue and make a decision on whether they will fix it or not for the next release.
> > Thank you,
> > Visual Studio Product Team
>
> >  Posted byMicrosofton 10/14/2008 at 2:07 AM
>
> > Hello-
> > Please accept my apologies. We passed on your request to the owner of the Express produts last fall to see if he would consider the addition of mc.exe into the Express products, but I realize now that I never updated you with that information.
> > They have yet to make the final determination on which files will be included in the next release of the Visual Studio Express products, but should be doing so in the coming months. For now please continue to leverage either the 6.1 Windows SDK or the recently released Win7 Beta SDK (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=A91DC12A-FC9...) for the latest version of mc.exe.
> > Source URLhttp://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?...
>
> >  arrow1.gif
> > < 1KViewDownload

William Stein

Jul 25, 2009, 7:40:58 PM7/25/09
to sage-w...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM, J Elaych<micro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm glad someone brought this up because I didn't see
> that we could develop with the Express version.  If
> it works to just use the Express + SDK then more
> of us will be able to contribute.  I'm downloading now.

I've also been having some luck getting Microsoft to purchase full copies of
MS Visual Studio 2008 and mail them to people (seriously) working on
the Windows port of Sage. Please email me offlist if you are
interested in me asking Microsoft for such a copy for you.

-- William
--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Bill Hart

Jul 25, 2009, 11:25:20 PM7/25/09
to sage-w...@googlegroups.com
Note that MS Visual Studio Professional is worth about $900 US and the
licenses can't be transferred, so that should be a measure of how
serious you are to develop using MSVC for the Sage Windows port.

Some institutions will also require you to register a "conflict of
interest" statement if you receive this from MS. For me this was very
easy, an email to my head of department was sufficient and I had to
note it on an annual conflict of interest form.

More people with access to the Professional version will certainly
increase interest in Sage Windows, and Microsoft have been very
generous with their support. Things have really been taking off with
the work Blair and others have been doing, but more developers are
certainly needed and welcome.

By the way, every time I go to download Sage Windows, I have trouble
finding the website. A couple of things might help:

* A link in the description of the sage-windows google group.
* More links to the Sage Windows site from our personal blogs and
websites so that google ranks it more highly.
* More visible links from the Sage Unix website to the Sage Windows website.

Bill.