Re: [sage-support] Where can I find the Windows VirtualBox version of Sage?

Message has been deleted

William Stein

Aug 28, 2010, 3:47:54 PM8/28/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, August 28, 2010, Nick <aro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First time user here.  I can't seem to find the VirtualBox version of
> Sage to download for a Windows Installation.  I've got VBox itself
> installed but can't find the Sage-VBox zip file online.
>
> Only the VMWare edition appears to be available at
> http://sagemath.org/download-windows.html and any links to VBox
> versions I've digged up on the net seem dead.
>
> No doubt I've missed something simple.  Can someone set me straight please?

We do not distribute a virtualbox version of Sage anymore. If
somebody out there wants to make one, I will host it.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics

Seb Taylor

Aug 29, 2010, 2:10:45 AM8/29/10
to sage-support
hey nick,

i too am a complete newbie to this sage/ linux/ vm/ virtbox thing and
was totally lost for a minute (more like a half a day). but after
reading the vbox docs i learn that it does support the vmware .vmdk
format. they still don't actually tell you __how__. after some
tinkering i finally got sage up and running on vbox! (sorry if i
explain to much but i don't know how well you know computers)

1. after installing vbox and getting it up and running, extract the
sage-vmware*.zip contents to any folder and destination you want.
2. in vbox goto File->Virtual Media Manager. while under the hard
drive tab click add+ button. locate where you just installed the
"sage-vmware.vmdk" image file and add it to the list.
3. now click the New button and the wizard pops up. the first screen
is the vm name and OS type: name it anything you want (mines is
"SageMath") and the OS version really isn't that important because the
"sage-vmware.vmdk" sets it automatically to linux/ ubuntu. at least
set it to linux.
4. next screen is how much memory you willing to allocate to the vm.
i've set mines to "512mb" and it has worked only ok but i have reach
that limit already with just 3 notebook worksheets open. set it to
whatever you like and then you can tinker with it later.
5. here the most important step. the next screen is the virtual hard
disk screen. click "boot hard disk" then choose the "use existing
hard disk" option and choose "sage-vmware.vmdk" and click next.
6. click finish and then voila! you're ready for some hardcore
mathematical fun! power that baby up and welcome to the
mathematician's promised land!

ex. tip: the maximum resolution of 800x600 was appalling to me and
you can't simply resize the window, either. after perusing the vbox
docs i found a way (that is either hit or miss for me) of upping the
resolutions. you might wanna try this out before start Sage vm for
the first time but after you set it up with vbox:
1. start up your command prompt, cmd.exe, by going to (from Win's
desktop) Start->Run then type "cmd".
2. in the command shell type "cd ["your complete path to the
VirtualBox folder"] " then press enter. the default path is "C:
\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox" i believe.
3. after getting to the vbox folder type: "vboxmanage setextradata
["your Sage vm name"] CustomVideoMode1 1280x800x32". type in whatever
you called your Sage vm , mines was "SageMath". if your vm name has
any spaces in it, be sure to enclose it in double quotes (" "). you
can also set the resolution to whatever you want, but in my
experience, after i'd set my first one, i was never able to add more.
4. now fire up the Sage vm from vbox. after i get's up and running
choose System->Preference->Display. hopefully the new resolution
setting you just added will be there. choose and then thank me later.

-Seb
p.s. Sorry if i sound so pedantic but i have no idea your level of
expertise with computers.