installation problem

bb

Mar 19, 2010, 4:23:51 PM3/19/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
As I mentioned in another posting I tried a simple install from source
(on slitaz linux).

1. I got he message that prereq-0.7 is missing.
prereq-0.7 and prereq-0.7-install.tar is present. On
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8052 I found the remark that
prereq-0.7-install.tar will be untared automatically - it is NOT!

2. I untared prereq-0.7-install.tar by hand and the next message is telling:
base/prereq-0.7-install: cd: line 178: can't cd to prereq-0.7
base/prereq-0.7-install: line 180: ./configure: not found
ERROR: You do not have all of the prerequisites needed

Next I checked line 179 and line 180:

tar mxvf "../base/$TARGET.tar"
cd "$TARGET"

./configure

I wonder about the tar options mxvf ? On minimal systems (like slitaz or
tinyCore linux) m is not provided! I would not say it is a bug, but it
is a nuisance!

3. Next step: I removed the m-option in line 179. And as a result I get
another error message:

checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: in `/home/tux/sage-4.3.3/spkg/build/prereq-0.7':
See `config.log' for more details.
ERROR: You do not have all of the prerequisites needed
to build Sage from source. See the errors above.
make[1]: *** [installed/prereq-0.7] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tux/sage-4.3.3/spkg'

real 0m2.338s
user 0m0.682s
sys 0m0.457s
Error building Sage.
tux@slitaz:~/sage-4.3.3$

Does Sage really need all that awk versions?? (That are not the source
of the problem.)

Just as a guess there might be someting wrong with the gcc version?

Carlo Hamalainen

Mar 19, 2010, 4:39:00 PM3/19/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 6:23 AM, bb <bbl...@arcor.de> wrote:
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> configure: error: in `/home/tux/sage-4.3.3/spkg/build/prereq-0.7':
> See `config.log' for more details.

Your gcc compiler is somehow broken. What is the output of "gcc -v"
and "g++ -v" and what is at the end of config.log?

> Does Sage really need all that awk versions?? (That are not the source of
> the problem.)

The configure script found one version of awk and proceeded happily
with that and then got stuck on gcc.

Also even on "big" Linux distributions like Ubuntu you need to install
extra packages to compile Sage (like build-essential, m4, etc).

Cheers,

--
Carlo Hamalainen
http://carlo-hamalainen.net

bb

Mar 19, 2010, 5:18:33 PM3/19/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Carlo Hamalainen schrieb:
The text lines I sent were the last lines of config.log.

Regards BB

Carlo Hamalainen

Mar 19, 2010, 6:09:41 PM3/19/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM, bb <bbl...@arcor.de> wrote:
> The text lines I sent were the last lines of config.log.

And what's the output of

gcc -v

and

g++ -v

?

bb

Mar 20, 2010, 3:18:54 AM3/20/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Carlo Hamalainen schrieb:

> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM, bb <bbl...@arcor.de> wrote:
>
>> The text lines I sent were the last lines of config.log.
>>

> And what's the output of
>
> gcc -v
>
> and
>
> g++ -v
>
> ?
>

> Cheers,

Beside the usual list of options I get gcc -version 4.2.3 for both.

On my 64-bit machines (where I installed sage successful) gcc version
4.3.2 and 4.4.1 is installed.

Does anybody know if sage 4.3.3 compiles with an obviously "old" gcc
version 4.2.3?

Regards

Dr. David Kirkby

Mar 20, 2010, 5:58:14 AM3/20/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
bb wrote:

> Does anybody know if sage 4.3.3 compiles with an obviously "old" gcc
> version 4.2.3?
>
> Regards

It compiles with 4.0.1 on OS X, so whilst I can't say I know for sure it
compiles with 4.2.3 on Linux, I would expect it to.

Dave

Dr. David Kirkby

Mar 20, 2010, 7:04:34 AM3/20/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
bb wrote:
> As I mentioned in another posting I tried a simple install from source
> (on slitaz linux).
>
> 1. I got he message that prereq-0.7 is missing.
> prereq-0.7 and prereq-0.7-install.tar is present. On
> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8052 I found the remark that
> prereq-0.7-install.tar will be untared automatically - it is NOT!
>
> 2. I untared prereq-0.7-install.tar by hand and the next message is
> telling:
> base/prereq-0.7-install: cd: line 178: can't cd to prereq-0.7
> base/prereq-0.7-install: line 180: ./configure: not found
> ERROR: You do not have all of the prerequisites needed
>
> Next I checked line 179 and line 180:
>
> tar mxvf "../base/$TARGET.tar"
> cd "$TARGET"
>
> ./configure
>
> I wonder about the tar options mxvf ? On minimal systems (like slitaz or
> tinyCore linux) m is not provided! I would not say it is a bug, but it
> is a nuisance!

It can't really be called a bug, as there is no agreed standard for options to
'tar' - they are not defined by POSIX. But I would accept that 'm' is not a
commonly used option.

I've created a ticket to remove this option, which seems to be unnecessary.

That will be fixed in Sage 4.5, though I think you have other more serious
problems on your system.

Dave