sage tutorial on amazon

David Joyner

Apr 2, 2009, 10:37:50 AM4/2/09
to SAGE support
Hi:

The Sage tutorial on amazon is a bit out of date.
Amazon requires the online publisher createspace,
which uses an extremely finiky automated web-based
program to process the manuscript. Any overfull
box, if memory serves, will create an immediate
rejection. There is an overfull box on page 33.
I have in the past just fiddled with the latex
file and remove any overfull boxes "by hand".
If no one objects to this twieeking, or volunteers to
update the tutorial themselves, I'll probably get
started on that this weekend. Also, I'll try to remember
to make detailed notes and post them on the wiki
for future reference.

- David Joyner

William Stein

Apr 2, 2009, 11:39:42 AM4/2/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com, Mike Hansen

The tutorial is not a latex document anymore. It's an entirely
different Sphinx document that can output pdf. As far as I know there
is currently no pdf version of the tutorial, but one easily from the
Sphinx document (I saw some early versions that Mike Hansen produced).

William

John H Palmieri

Apr 2, 2009, 12:45:05 PM4/2/09
to sage-support

On Apr 2, 8:39 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:37 AM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi:
>
> > The Sage tutorial on amazon is a bit out of date.
> > Amazon requires the online publisher createspace,
> > which uses an extremely finiky automated web-based
> > program to process the manuscript. Any overfull
> > box, if memory serves, will create an immediate
> > rejection. There is an overfull box on page 33.
> > I have in the past just fiddled with the latex
> > file and remove any overfull boxes "by hand".
> > If no one objects to this twieeking, or volunteers to
> > update the tutorial themselves, I'll probably get
> > started on that this weekend. Also, I'll try to remember
> > to make detailed notes and post them on the wiki
> > for future reference.
>
> The tutorial is not a latex document anymore.  It's an entirely
> different Sphinx document that can output pdf.  As far as I know there
> is currently no pdf version of the tutorial,

"sage -docbuild tutorial pdf"

David Joyner

Apr 2, 2009, 12:57:05 PM4/2/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John and William. The command
sage -docbuild tutorial pdf
generated all I think I need.

William Stein

Apr 2, 2009, 1:09:45 PM4/2/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com

Nice. Here are links to the output of that. It looks very good and
doesn't appear to have any text outside the margin to me.
I ran the above on each document and put them all here for people to see:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/tmp/docs/

Harald -- it would be nice if this were available on sagemath.org.

William

John H Palmieri

Apr 2, 2009, 5:34:38 PM4/2/09
to sage-support
On Apr 2, 10:09 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:45 AM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The tutorial is not a latex document anymore.  It's an entirely
> >> different Sphinx document that can output pdf.  As far as I know there
> >> is currently no pdf version of the tutorial,
>
> > "sage -docbuild tutorial pdf"
>
> Nice.  Here are links to the output of that.  It looks very good and
> doesn't appear to have any text outside the margin to me.

I think that's right. I didn't see any "overfull hbox" errors, for
example.

John

David Joyner

Apr 2, 2009, 6:14:07 PM4/2/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
The only one I've found so far is on page 59. I'm guessing
verbatim environments surpress the overfull box errors
during compilation.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:34 PM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Calc...@aol.com

Apr 2, 2009, 6:44:14 PM4/2/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Wow, the latest tutorial (3.4) at least has more info on how to use dSage!

Thanx,
A. Jorge Garcia
calc...@aol.com
http://calcpage.tripod.com

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College

In a message dated 4/2/2009 1:10:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wst...@gmail.com writes:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wstein/tmp/docs/

New Low Prices on Dell Laptops - Starting at $399
Message has been deleted

David Joyner

Apr 5, 2009, 8:29:51 PM4/5/09
to SAGE support
This is just a summary of my progress (or lack thereof) on
updating the sage tutorial on amazon. I also said I'd make a wiki page
but since it is so simple, I thought I'd just sketch the instructions here.

First, you need to create a "8x10" pdf with no overfull boxes and
a cover. I placed the SageTutorial.pdf and a cover (basically
made by Robert Bradshaw but with some modifications) here:
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/createspace_files
There is a readme.txt file there which hopefully helps some.

1. Go to createspace.com and create an account. The only
possibly tricky aspect is to make sure they do not pay you but
send the royalties directly to the Sage Foundation. It's been awhile but
I think you have to get the 503(c) tax code from William Stein.
You only have to do this once.

2. Follow the instructions on creating a book project. You have to
click on a box at some point to tell createspace to sell your book on
amazon (who owns createspace). The "easy" cover maker did not
work for me (in linux) so I selected "advanced". In any case, the
instructions are really detailed on the website. Basically you fill out
some of the book details (see the readme.txt file), upload the pdfs
and then submit.

3. With the files above, the createspace program rejected
the updated tutorial. (It takes about a day or so to get a decision.)
Although I just did some minor modifications (removing
the "overfull box" on page 59) and resubmitted, I'm pretty
sure it will be rejected again. I just wanted to be 100% sure that the
vaguely worded rejection wasn't triggered simply by the overfull
box on page 59. One error message was that the "interior" pdf was
formatted for 8.5x11 and it must be 8x10. With the old latex file, I could
adjust the page margins using

\setlength{\paperwidth}{10in}
\setlength{\paperheight}{8in}
or
\setlength{\topmargin}{1in}

or something. With this new format, these command render the pdf file
virtually unreadable.

4. I can look at this more Tuesday. Also, while writing this, Minh posted to
this thread, so I will wait until he has done whatever he wants to do fisrt.
However, if any one knows how to "intelligently" widen the margins
of the current tutorial (thereby increasing the page count from 96 to
something >96), please let me know!

Message has been deleted

John H Palmieri

Apr 6, 2009, 12:59:49 AM4/6/09
to sage-support
On Apr 5, 5:29 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> box on page 59. One error message was that the "interior" pdf was
> formatted for 8.5x11 and it must be 8x10. With the old latex file, I could
> adjust the page margins using
>
> \setlength{\paperwidth}{10in}
> \setlength{\paperheight}{8in}
> or
> \setlength{\topmargin}{1in}

This may be overkill, but the manual documentclass sets some options
and then passes everything else to report.cls. So you can make a copy
of report.cls, say in

SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/doc/output/latex/en/tutorial

adding in lines

\DeclareOption{createspace}
{\setlength\paperheight {10in}%
\setlength\paperwidth {8in}}

Then at the top of SageTutorial.tex, use

\documentclass[createspace,10pt,english]{manual}

John

David Joyner

Apr 7, 2009, 3:11:54 PM4/7/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM, John H Palmieri <jhpalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be overkill, but the manual documentclass sets some options
> and then passes everything else to report.cls.  So you can make a copy
> of report.cls, say in

Do you mean manual.cls?

> SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/doc/output/latex/en/tutorial
>
> adding in lines
>
> \DeclareOption{createspace}
>   {\setlength\paperheight {10in}%
>    \setlength\paperwidth  {8in}}
>
> Then at the top of SageTutorial.tex, use
>
> \documentclass[createspace,10pt,english]{manual}

This didn't seem to work for me.

As predicted, the second submission was rejected for (among
other things) size reasons.

>  John

John H Palmieri

Apr 7, 2009, 5:41:41 PM4/7/09
to sage-support
On Apr 7, 12:11 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 12:59 AM, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > This may be overkill, but the manual documentclass sets some options
> > and then passes everything else to report.cls.  So you can make a copy
> > of report.cls, say in
>
> Do you mean manual.cls?

No, I meant report.cls. There should already be a file manual.cls in
that directory, which calls your system's version of report.cls (from
$SOMEWHERE/tex/latex/base/report.cls). In report.cls, there are lots
of snippets like the one I wrote, e.g.

\DeclareOption{executivepaper}
{\setlength\paperheight {10.5in}%
\setlength\paperwidth {7.25in}}

Copy report.cls to the same directory as the tutorial latex file. In
that copy, add these lines right after the above snippet:

\DeclareOption{createspace}
  {\setlength\paperheight {10in}%
   \setlength\paperwidth  {8in}}

and use this in the latex file for the tutorial:

\documentclass[createspace,10pt,english]{manual}

David Joyner

Apr 7, 2009, 8:30:46 PM4/7/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks. I just tried this and it didn't seem to work for me.
However, the length is now 104 instead of 96. The horizonal line
across the bottom above the page number seems to be the same distance
from the bottom edge of the paper. The top seems to be the same
distance as well. (I assume running make in the
.sage/doc/output/latex/en/tutorial
directory is the correct way to compile it.) Maybe manual.cls is
overriding the margin settings?

John H Palmieri

Apr 8, 2009, 1:07:25 PM4/8/09
to sage-support
On Apr 7, 5:30 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Okay, thanks. I just tried this and it didn't seem to work for me.
> However, the length is now 104 instead of 96. The horizonal line
> across the bottom above the page number seems to be the same distance
> from the bottom edge of the paper. The top seems to be the same
> distance as well. (I assume running make in the
> .sage/doc/output/latex/en/tutorial
> directory is the correct way to compile it.) Maybe manual.cls is
> overriding the margin settings?

Maybe it did work. Note that my suggestion actually changes the *size*
of the paper, not the margins, so the distance from the line at the
bottom to the edge of the paper should be about the same, for example,
but each page should hold less. Since the document got longer, maybe
this happened for you, too. If I view the pdf in Adobe's acroread on
my linux box and ask for the document's properties (from the file
menu), it tells me that the page size is 8x10. I thought that this was
what you wanted: a document formatted for 8x10 paper.

John

David Joyner

Apr 8, 2009, 4:29:15 PM4/8/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Thank you again, I didn't notice that!

I just finished uploading new files. We will see what the program
says this time in a day or 2....

David Joyner

Apr 15, 2009, 5:17:01 PM4/15/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Finally!!
The process is over and the new tutorial should be on sale at amazon within
15 days. BTW, I think Sage earns a little more of a royalty if the book is
ordered directly from createspace.com, but not much.

I had to create a cover using the "easy" option, so it is a different looking
book. It's a gray cover with a snow-covered mountain on it. (If anyone
recognizes the mountain, please let me know.)

The last steps were
(a) to create cover that their program would accept (my cover using the
"advanced" option and their template was rejected, though it
was basically the same one as last time and I know they are the same
size because I have the old one and the new one right on top of each other
on my desk in front of me),
(b) once the cover+interior was accepted by createspace
to order a proof copy (about $10 including shipping), look it over for
problems,
(c) log into createspace and approve the proof. I had to re-enter the
UW/Sage Foundation tax id (found on
https://secure.gifts.washington.edu/as_mathematics/gift.asp?page=make&Code=MATSAG)
before they let me approve the proof though.

I personally think it looks really attractive, but probably because I like
mountains and gray:-)

William Stein

Apr 16, 2009, 1:05:28 AM4/16/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally!!
> The process is over and the new tutorial should be on sale at amazon within
> 15 days. BTW, I think Sage earns a little more of a royalty if the book is
> ordered directly from createspace.com, but not much.
>
> I had to create a cover using the "easy" option, so it is a different looking
> book. It's a gray cover with a snow-covered mountain on it. (If anyone
> recognizes the mountain, please let me know.)
>
> The last steps were
> (a) to create cover that their program would accept (my cover using the
> "advanced" option and their template was rejected, though it
> was basically the same one as last time and I know they are the same
> size because I have the old one and the new one right on top of each other
> on my desk in front of me),
> (b) once the cover+interior was accepted by createspace
> to order a proof copy (about $10 including shipping), look it over for
> problems,
> (c) log into createspace and approve the proof. I had to re-enter the
> UW/Sage Foundation tax id (found on
> https://secure.gifts.washington.edu/as_mathematics/gift.asp?page=make&Code=MATSAG)
> before they let me approve the proof though.
>
> I personally think it looks really attractive, but probably because I like
> mountains and gray:-)

Maybe I'm being dumb, but it seems like you haven't provided a link
anywhere in this email or in the emails quoted below to the actual
book and cover that you're talking about.

William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

David Joyner

Apr 16, 2009, 6:03:00 AM4/16/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm being dumb, but it seems like you haven't provided a link
> anywhere in this email or in the emails quoted below to the actual
> book and cover that you're talking about.

The interior is exactly the same as the tutorial in pdf, except it has been
shrunken to 8x10 to this link (same one as earlier in the thread):
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/createspace_files
Let me know if you can't access this.

I wasn't able to download the cover (it's from a template they have and
you get few choices, the mountain template seemed more preferable
than others, which had pictures of flowers or leaves or .... on them).
I did just now scan it in color and posted the scan there. The bw version
is more accurate. I don't know why my cheapo scanner scans gray to green.

You can replace the mountain pic in the template with a 4x5 phto but I
was (a) unsure what to choose, (b) thought even if I did pick something
(like a graphic) it would come out looking terrible and be a waste of time and
money, (c) I liked the mountain:-).

> William

Jason Grout

Apr 16, 2009, 10:11:24 AM4/16/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
David Joyner wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Maybe I'm being dumb, but it seems like you haven't provided a link
>> anywhere in this email or in the emails quoted below to the actual
>> book and cover that you're talking about.
>
> The interior is exactly the same as the tutorial in pdf, except it has been
> shrunken to 8x10 to this link (same one as earlier in the thread):
> http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/createspace_files
> Let me know if you can't access this.
>
> I wasn't able to download the cover (it's from a template they have and
> you get few choices, the mountain template seemed more preferable
> than others, which had pictures of flowers or leaves or .... on them).
> I did just now scan it in color and posted the scan there. The bw version
> is more accurate. I don't know why my cheapo scanner scans gray to green.
>
> You can replace the mountain pic in the template with a 4x5 phto but I
> was (a) unsure what to choose, (b) thought even if I did pick something
> (like a graphic) it would come out looking terrible and be a waste of time and
> money, (c) I liked the mountain:-).

A mountain is ...

-- solid as a rock

-- gigantic (is that a good thing for Sage?)

It reminds me of Rainier...that would be cool, being close to Seattle
and all. It also looks volcanic (symmetrical, no other mountains
around), so maybe it's

-- about to burst forth in an exciting display to astound everyone and
cover the land (yeah Sage!)

And it's pretty. Good choice!

Jason

--
Jason Grout

David Joyner

Apr 27, 2009, 11:04:11 AM4/27/09
to SAGE support
Finally this is on the amazon site:

http://www.amazon.com/Sage-tutorial-version-3-4-Group/dp/1442141948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240843883&sr=8-2

Hope this link comes out okay via email.

William Stein

Apr 27, 2009, 11:12:55 AM4/27/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM, David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finally this is on the amazon site:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Sage-tutorial-version-3-4-Group/dp/1442141948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240843883&sr=8-2
>
> Hope this link comes out okay via email.

It did. Can you "sign up" and make it so users can look inside and
search inside the book? Also, can you allow the book to be sold on
kindle devices?

William

David Joyner

Apr 27, 2009, 12:17:59 PM4/27/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:04 AM, David Joyner <wdjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Finally this is on the amazon site:
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Sage-tutorial-version-3-4-Group/dp/1442141948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240843883&sr=8-2
>>
>> Hope this link comes out okay via email.
>>

> It did.  Can you "sign up" and make it so users can look inside and
> search inside the book?

I think I just did that.

> Also, can you allow the book to be sold on kindle devices?

This seems to be more complicated. Createspace seems happy to write a
check to the Sage Foundation. The dtp.amazon.com site (which handles the
kindle setup) wants a checking account for an electronic transfer. The
UW Sage Foundation site doesn't have that info. (Maybe that info can be filled
out during SD15?)

Also, you can request that amazon offer a kindle version on the book
webpage.