[sage-support] A Tour of Sage german translation

bb

Apr 16, 2010, 3:44:53 AM4/16/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Attached please find my german translation of "A Tour of Sage" with some
minor changes.

I hope that you find it useful and I hope that Minh Van Nguyen again
lends a helping hand to compile it and check it.

Reagrds BB
index-de.rst

bb

Apr 16, 2010, 3:50:47 AM4/16/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
bb schrieb:
I found the german "Umlaute" are not presented correctly in Thunderbird.
Ther might be a problem with ASCII/UTF8-encoding. I can send it in
another format, if you have problems with that characters as well.
Please give me feedback.

Message has been deleted

bb

Apr 17, 2010, 2:53:54 AM4/17/10
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Minh Nguyen schrieb:
> Hi Bernhard,
>
> 2010/4/16 bb <bbl...@arcor.de>:
>
>> Attached please find my german translation of "A Tour of Sage" with some
>> minor changes.
>>

> Again, allow me to thank you for your initiative in translating Sage
> documentation to German and making that translation available to
> everyone.
>

>> I hope that you find it useful and I hope that Minh Van Nguyen again lends a
>> helping hand to compile it and check it.
>>

> See ticket #8698 [1] for tracking this issue and a patch to the Sage
> library. Someone who knows German is needed to review that ticket.
>
> [1] http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/8698

Sorry to bother you again with that "textlet".

I have just checked the given link in my browser set to UTF8 and found
the "german Umlauts" not displayed correctly. I also tried all the other
common encodings (and some uncommon as well). And may be I send
translations of the one or the other single chapters of other documents
as well - but for sure not the complete docu! As I hope that other
german speaking age users will post there translations, I think it is a
good idea to define a proved procedure with a defined chracter encoding
that will work safe and without additional work (at least for you).

I used the ReST-Source to translate the text and sent it as UTF8 as I
checked with the return mail I got by the support-mail-list. Obviously
there happens something distorting that text (by some copy processes).
The first translation with an ODF obviously worked seamless. I will
attach a ReST version of the text not in a text-version, but in an ODF
version. The reST markup should be preserved and I would kindly ask you
to transfer that text as you have done with the first Text (the
installation-text) - however you have done that. That should be much
more easy in the actual case, because you get the ReST markup delivered,
so you should have to copy/paste the whole text. (In the other version
you had to add the markup tediously .)

I can check the text display again after that and give you feedback.

index-de.rest.txt
index-de.rest.odt
Message has been deleted

Simon King

Apr 17, 2010, 8:48:14 AM4/17/10
to sage-support
Hi Bernhard, hi Minh,

I made some proof reading for the text.

Since German Umlauts have been mentioned above: I wonder how one can
produce an Umlaut for the Sage reference manual. The reference manual
is essentially built from the doc strings, and I thought that the doc
strings may contain any LaTeX code. So, I thought that 'Gröbner' would
result, if the doc string contains 'Gr\"obner'. But it doesn't, IIRC.
Is there another way to produce Umlaut?

Best regards,
Simon
Message has been deleted

Simon King

Apr 17, 2010, 9:35:51 AM4/17/10
to sage-support
Hi Minh!

On 17 Apr., 15:26, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That usually works in LaTeX mode. So to render "Gr\"obner" with the
> Umlaut, you do
>
> `Gr\"obner`
>
> Notice the delimiting back ticks.

Wouldn't this result in LaTeX *maths* mode?

> Specify the character encoding at the top of the corresponding ReST
> file.

OK, but this wouldn't work for doc strings, or would it? Is it
possible to have unicode doc strings?
Message has been deleted

Simon King

Apr 17, 2010, 10:04:40 AM4/17/10
to sage-support
Hi Minh!

On 17 Apr., 15:46, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the case of a Python file, use the following comment to declare
> character encoding:
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

Do you mean *once* on top of the file? Or is it something that I have
to insert in (or in front of) any doc string?

And actually I doubt that Sage would swallow the Umlaut. This is what
I just got on Sage-math, entering a line from the last example of
http://www.sagemath.org/doc/reference/sagenb/notebook/template.html :
sage: u = unicode('Are Gröbner bases awesome?','utf-8')
WARNING:
********
You or a %run:ed script called sys.stdin.close() or
sys.stdout.close()!
Exiting IPython!

In other words, sage-4.3.5 crashes on an example from the references.

Cheers,
Message has been deleted

Simon King

Apr 17, 2010, 10:52:15 AM4/17/10
to sage-support
Hi Minh!

On 17 Apr., 16:37, Minh Nguyen <nguyenmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some files in the Sage library have character declarations. For
> example, see the following files:
>
> sage/misc/interpreter.py

Thank you!

> That works OK for me:
>
> [mvngu@sage ~]$ sage
> | Sage Version 4.3.5, Release Date: 2010-03-28                       |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> sage: from sagenb.notebook.template import template
> sage: u = unicode('Are Gröbner bases awesome?','utf-8')
> sage: s = template(os.path.join('html', 'yes_no.html'), message=u)
> sage: 'Gröbner' in s.encode('utf-8')
> True

Interesting. First, I typed the whole thing manually, using the German
keyboard of my Windows netbook, connected to sage.math by putty. I
notice that, when entering an Umlaut, first no character is shown
until another character is entered. Then, this other character appears
*twice*. I don't know if this is part of the problem.

Secondly, I copied the lines directly from the sage references, and
pasted it in (again via putty). This time, there was no double
printing of the following character, but nevertheless, Sage crashed
again.

Best regards,

Simon King

Apr 17, 2010, 10:58:44 AM4/17/10
to sage-support
Hi!

On 17 Apr., 16:52, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Interesting. First, I typed the whole thing manually, using the German
> keyboard of my Windows netbook, connected to sage.math by putty.

I just found that I had misconfigured putty: It expected isolatin-1.
When I changed it to UTF-8, it worked fine!

Sorry for the noise,
Message has been deleted