weird output in notebook (on jaunty installation via debs)

Jurgis Pralgauskis

Apr 28, 2009, 10:12:01 AM4/28/09
to sage-support
Hello,

I have sage on fresh Ubuntu jaunty,
SAGE Version 3.0.5, Release Date: 2008-07-11

but when I use notebook, I get unnecessary output
and line endings of it seem like have encoding problems..

you see the screenshot..
http://files.akl.lt/users/jurgis/etc/sagemath-jaunty-weird_output.png

where's the rub?

William Stein

Apr 28, 2009, 10:24:30 AM4/28/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Unfortunately, Debian/Ubuntu package a very old and buggy version of
Sage. You should use a version of Sage that you download from
http://sagemath.org instead. Get either a binary, or build from
source.

Thanks!
William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington
http://wstein.org

Jurgis Pralgauskis

Apr 28, 2009, 2:34:51 PM4/28/09
to sage-support

> Unfortunately, Debian/Ubuntu package a very old and buggy version of
> Sage.    You should use a version of Sage that you download fromhttp://sagemath.orginstead.  Get either a binary, or build from
> source.

why are debs not updated?
I don't know much about them, and as I remember main packaging is
"spkg",
would it be hard to automate transformationt to debs?
this would mean more courage for sysadmins towards sage (as updates
would be supposed to be without headache :) )

William Stein

Apr 28, 2009, 2:50:45 PM4/28/09
to sage-s...@googlegroups.com