Where are the pre-release prereleases?

kcrisman

Sep 21, 2011, 11:06:34 AM9/21/11
to sage-release
Both http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-old/
and http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3/
seem empty. I have some folks hankerin' to download alpha3 (because
it has some goodies in it) but it doesn't seem to exist, currently.
Any ETA, or at least the "unofficial" version?

Thanks!

- kcrisman

Volker Braun

Sep 21, 2011, 11:25:50 AM9/21/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Since Leif is doing the release, things might be a bit different than usual. How about this:

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease.tar

leif

Sep 21, 2011, 2:24:49 PM9/21/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

They (still) are, almost.

> I have some folks hankerin' to download alpha3 (because
> it has some goodies in it) but it doesn't seem to exist, currently.
> Any ETA, or at least the "unofficial" version?

FOR THE IMPATIENT ONLY... ;-)

The current alpha3 *prerelease* can be found here:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/

There's a source tarball (and its md5sum) as well as the "source tree"
for upgrading:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease.tar

md5sum (version of Sept. 19th): ad021855ae07ecdd1cdcc7b973c9cdba

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/
(Upgrade path, not really tested.)

I've also put all new *optional* spkgs into that directory, as these are
not part of the tarball, nor yet downloadable from the usual location:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/4ti2-1.3.2.p1.spkg

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/nzmath-1.1.0.spkg

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/database_cremona_ellcurve-20110915.spkg
(This is just a *larger* database compared to the one part of the
standard elliptic_curves-0.3 spkg contained in the tarball.)

There's also an updated PolyBoRi spkg (0.7.1.p6) which isn't yet
included into the tarball (the p5 is of course), but that one is only
required on non-Intel/AMD (non-x86/x86_64) platforms, e.g. SPARC, maybe
Itanium, most probably also PowerPC (haven't tried yet):

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/leif/Sage/release/sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/polybori-0.7.1.p6.spkg

Note that a few (1 to 5, or 8, depending on the platform) doctests are
known to fail at the moment (in three / four different files), due to
numerical noise, on "rare" or old platforms (SunOS / Solaris SPARC,
Linux ia64 (Itanium), Linux x86 (Pentium4 at least), and -- a bit
strange -- Debian x86_64 on a Sandy Bridge Core i3).

Rob Beezer just reported three doctests segfaulting (in ATLAS /
libpthread) on a Core i7 2600 running some Ubuntu/Linaro x86_64. We
couldn't yet track this further down.

Also, this prerelease is inofficial and *volatile*, and hence should be
treated as such, although I currently don't expect any tickets to get
*unmerged* again. (More likely, besides fixing at least some of the
doctest errors, I'll include further tickets, but -- if at all -- only
very few, and only "easy" ones.)

Please don't complain about any failures on Apple boxes (running MacOS X
10.x), as I couldn't test on such yet.

-leif

--
() The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
/\ Help Cure HTML Email

kcrisman

Sep 22, 2011, 9:05:11 AM9/22/11
to sage-release

> Please don't complain about any failures on Apple boxes (running MacOS X
> 10.x), as I couldn't test on such yet.

No complaints, but I might as well report, in case these are the same
or similar to other failures you know of. This is on OS X 10.6.

- kcrisman

sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/matrix/matrix2.pyx"
File "/Users/.../sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/devel/sage/sage/matrix/
matrix2.pyx", line 4644:
sage: eigenvalues = em[0]; eigenvalues
Expected:
[ 13.3484692... 0 0]
[ 0 -1.34846922... 0]
[ 0 0 -6.2265089...e-16]
Got:
[ 13.3484692283 0 0]
[ 0 -1.34846922835 0]
[ 0 0 -6.20220383126e-16]
1 items had failures:
1 of 41 in __main__.example_58
[33.4 s]
sage -t -long -force_lib "devel/sage/sage/rings/polynomial/
polynomial_element.pyx"
File "/Users/.../sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/devel/sage/sage/rings/
polynomial/polynomial_element.pyx", line 1026:
sage: f * (x^2 + 1) % (x^5 + x + 1)
Expected:
1.0
Got:
1.11022302463e-16*x^4 + 1.11022302463e-16*x^2 + 1.0
File "/Users/.../sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prerelease/devel/sage/sage/rings/
polynomial/polynomial_element.pyx", line 1034:
sage: f*g % m
Expected:
-8.881784...e-16*x^3 + 8.881784...e-16*x^2 - 8.881784...e-16*x +
1.0
Got:
-1.33226762955e-15*x^3 + 2.22044604925e-15*x^2 +
4.4408920985e-16*x + 1.0
1 items had failures:
2 of 16 in __main__.example_20
[12.4 s]

Volker Braun

Sep 22, 2011, 9:15:23 AM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
It seems like the ordering of operations for univariate polynomials changed, changing the floating point errors. Just to be sure, does anybody know whether we merged a patch that touches that code? If yes then that explains it and we can just relax the doctests and be on our way...

leif

Sep 22, 2011, 9:16:26 AM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
kcrisman wrote:

>> Please don't complain about any failures on Apple boxes (running MacOS X
>> 10.x), as I couldn't test on such yet.
>
> No complaints, but I might as well report, in case these are the same
> or similar to other failures you know of.

Of course, thanks.

Yes, they are, i.e., the same doctests failing (due to numerical noise)
as on some other systems as well.

-leif

leif

Sep 22, 2011, 12:43:14 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
leif wrote:
> Note that a few (1 to 5, or 8, depending on the platform) doctests are
> known to fail at the moment (in three / four different files), due to
> numerical noise, on "rare" or old platforms (SunOS / Solaris SPARC,
> Linux ia64 (Itanium), Linux x86 (Pentium4 at least), and -- a bit
> strange -- Debian x86_64 on a Sandy Bridge Core i3).

P.S.: OTOH, all failures are due to noisy *zeroes* only.

Doctests (are known to) fail in:

* sage/misc/preparser.py (IA64 / Itanium 2 only; signed zero)

* sage/matrix/matrix2.pyx

* sage/matrix/matrix_double_dense.pyx

* sage/rings/polynomial/polynomial_element.pyx

Volker Braun

Sep 22, 2011, 1:05:32 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:43:14 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:

P.S.: OTOH, all failures are due to noisy *zeroes* only.

Thats because the doctests framework can handle random noise around a non-zero constant just fine using ellipses. But that breaks when you have random noise around zero, 6.123...e-16 is just crap without any significant digit. We need to make the doctester smarter to understand random noise around zero, this is http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10952

leif

Sep 22, 2011, 1:35:16 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
Volker Braun wrote:
> On Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:43:14 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:
>
> P.S.: OTOH, all failures are due to noisy *zeroes* only.
>
> Thats because the doctests framework can handle random noise around a
> non-zero constant just fine using ellipses. But that breaks when you
> have random noise around zero, 6.123...e-16 is just crap without any
> significant digit.

Ach nee?! Sag' blo�!!1! ;-)

Unfortunately for dense RDF / CDF matrices only, we have the nice
.zero_at(epsilon) method.

> We need to make the doctester smarter to understand
> random noise around zero, this
> is http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10952

Yep, I know that ticket...

Volker Braun

Sep 22, 2011, 1:55:24 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:35:16 PM UTC+1, leif wrote:

> is http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10952

Yep, I know that ticket...

Shall we use it to clean up the numerical noise? It says needs review but really there is only some bikeshedding going on....

John H Palmieri

Sep 22, 2011, 1:58:37 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

To be fair, I would say that before the most recent patch, it was a really ugly shed.

--
John

Volker Braun

Sep 22, 2011, 2:00:16 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:58:37 PM UTC+1, John H Palmieri wrote:
To be fair, I would say that before the most recent patch, it was a really ugly shed.

Your contribution was definitely appreciated :-)

leif

Sep 22, 2011, 2:46:50 PM9/22/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

I don't think it is [yet] powerful enough to solve all of the failures;
we'll have to mess up at least some examples / tests "manually" (i.e.,
without simply tagging them), unfortunately.

I've not yet decided whether to fix the failures by reviewer patches on
the corresponding tickets, or, unconventional but IMHO easier, open just
one ticket to solve all of them at once, to be merged / applied on top
of the current prerelease.

The disadvantage of the latter procedure is that the authors and
reviewers of the tickets that introduced the doctest errors won't get

-leif

P.S.: IIRC now, there were indeed also very few where the periods aren't
sufficiently placed, i.e., failures not due to just a noisy zero.

leif

Sep 25, 2011, 10:57:21 PM9/25/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Except for the two in sage/matrix/matrix2.pyx, these should now all be
fixed by reviewer patches to #7852 and #10635; require #11848 as well.
(Thanks, Rob.)

Patch for the remaining ones (caused by #11595) coming soon.

leif

Sep 26, 2011, 12:39:34 AM9/26/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Reviewer patch is attached to #11595; all known doctest errors fixed now.

Jeroen Demeyer

Sep 26, 2011, 4:12:15 AM9/26/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
leif, I think you did a fantastic job in fixing all these noisy doctest
errors!

leif

Sep 26, 2011, 8:29:52 PM9/26/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

Jeroen Demeyer

Sep 27, 2011, 2:59:00 AM9/27/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com
leif, I absolutely don't mean to offend, but why isn't

sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prelease1 == sage-4.7.2.alpha3
sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prelease2 == sage-4.7.2.alpha4
sage-4.7.2.alpha3-prelease3 == sage-4.7.2.rc0
sage-4.7.2.alpha3 == sage-4.7.2

Making preleases of prereleases (and asking people to test them) looks a
bit silly to me.

Jeroen.

John Cremona

Sep 27, 2011, 4:42:59 AM9/27/11
to sage-r...@googlegroups.com

I agree that this is confusing. Yesterday I built alpha2, necessary
to do some testing of tickets, and if there were now an alpha3 I would
build that. But I don't understand this naming system -- everything
you say about the prereleases surely applies to any alpha, by
definition?

Obviously I do much appreciate the hard work that goes into release
management, and you can do whatever makes that job easier for you, but
the rest of us have to understand what you are doing!

John